Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 09:10 AM

21 posts, read 64,171 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Someone my sister was dating answered the door for a NYCHA official, and they asked to speak to me or my sister. I was out of town visiting our parents, so he was there for a few days because my sister works nights and doesn't feel comfortable coming home alone. They had known each for less than a year.

They first sent a letter trying to terminate or tenancy for failure to occupy the apartment, simply because he answered and we weren't home. We went to our meeting and supplied proof (mail in our names) that we do indeed live there. Everything seemed ok.

Then I get another letter to meet (or face termination) for having an "unauthorized occupant". They asked for this persons name, and said we had to provide proof (mail) that this person lived at a different address. They are not a NYCHA resident, so can they require that of him? They are no longer dating, and I don't personally like the guy, we tolerated each other. I did call him and scare him into faxing the housing office a copy of his Verizon Fios bill where he lives, showing his address by telling him he would be summoned to court.

I'm not sure what to expect next, and I know damn well he won't show up in person for anything, maybe not go out out of his way for anything, and I just can't be sure he'd mail anything else (I don't even know if he legally is a tenant where he lives or has a contract drawn up with his landlord). What if he moves or changes his number? And can't you have guests for less than a month legally anyways? I don't get it and never dealt with an issue like this before, so I worry.

What should I expect? I feel this is unfair as my sister was raised here, never had an issue, and I was on the lease for nearly 20 years, never had an issue, was taken off when I moved and added on last May. We have had no criminal/legal problems since then, rent was late just once (when they knocked on the door the first time).

What is the time frame for eviction in housing court, should they somehow get away with this? Everyone tells me to relax but for some reason, it seems housing is trying to evict everybody, even its non-problematic tenants. I work part-time at my college that I attend, and so does my sister.

Thanks in advance everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 11:38 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Why was housing knocking on your door in the first place?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-27-2013, 12:46 PM

163 posts, read 484,605 times
Good question that seventhfloor asked, why were they knocking on your door and I would understand if they inspect the apt and somehow notice that he was living there but unless they are sure they can't do that! I would just let them know that this WAS your sister's boyfriend and he visits from time to time which would be the truth! Right??

Old 09-27-2013, 12:49 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
I read this and see no statement that s/he or they actually live there, full time, as a primary residence, right now. Could that be why someone was knocking on the door.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:55 PM

The reason why is because if rent is late, as in paid past the 14th, they knock on your door personally and deliver you a little notice reminding you to pay up. If you don't answer, they slide it under your door. I think that was what this was about more than anything. But as previously stated, we are not chronic rent delinquets, and yes, we both live here. I must say anyone would be foolish to not take advantage of public housing in this over-priced city.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
This is CUNY's residency requirement to establish residency in NYC as far as tuition goes.

SNAP Benefits Will Be Cut for All Participants in November 2013 — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

I don't know if NYCHA is that strict, but if they are you would need a lease showing where he lived for the past year, or basically 12 months of bills or public assistance records (signed) showing where he lived in the past year.

You may wish to speak to an attorney on this matter. Legal Aid and there are other non profit organizations that assist with these things.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This is CUNY's residency requirement to establish residency in NYC as far as tuition goes.

SNAP Benefits Will Be Cut for All Participants in November 2013 — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

I don't know if NYCHA is that strict, but if they are you would need a lease showing where he lived for the past year, or basically 12 months of bills or public assistance records (signed) showing where he lived in the past year.

You may wish to speak to an attorney on this matter. Legal Aid and there are other non profit organizations that assist with these things.
Ok, thank you for the advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City