Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 17,201 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any insights/comments/suggestions as to what life would be like for a family living on the Upper West Side - specifically in the 60s?

I know that some people don't consider the Upper West side to actually begin until the 70s, but I'm willing to concede that point.

I would really just like to know if anyone has strong opinions either way about living near Columbus Circle/Lincoln Center.

Any blocks better than others? Looking for a quieter "escape" from the hustle of other areas, preferably with less traffic and more trees (I know, it's all relative).

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 12:01 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
It's expensive.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:14 PM

936 posts, read 2,398,100 times
You would be near Central Park so there are many trees, lol. I worked in this area on West 60th street. I loved the area and would of loved to live in that area. Apartments are very expensive and that is what stopped
me . There is plenty of shopping. I think anywhere in NYC you will find it busy and alot of traffic. All in all its a beautiful area.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:34 PM

70 posts, read 278,375 times
First of all, anyone who tells you that the West 60s isn't the UWS needs to look at a map.

I live nearby, in the West 50s, and like it. Living by Columbus Circle is great transportation-wise. It is close to so many trains. You can get to so many places without having to transfer. It's also great being by the park.

The issue I have with the West 60s is that it has become such a commercial area. A lot of the smaller businesses have been driven out by various bank branches, or nationwide chains like Bed, Bath, and Beyond, LuluLemon, or Ann Taylor. I suppose many people like having those stores nearby, but it's kind of a shame that it comes with the departure of good, cheap restaurants... or any kind of restaurant for that matter. Also, as other people said, the UWS is very expensive, but you don't get a lot of bang for your buck.

The West 60s have some pretty blocks, with beautiful brownstones and trees (the better blocks are further north, I want to say), and there are a lot of families living there, so you might have a lot of people like you to hang out with. Once you enter the UWS, I'm pretty sure every 38 year-old woman gets issued a stroller.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:50 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,888 times
This area is called Lincoln Square now and gets a lot of traffic, including on foot, so the quieter blocks are closer to Central Park and as close to the river as possible. But it is a nice area. I would surely live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City