Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 05:15 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times

Advertisements

Wow, this is a different rental market compared to the previous three years. We just negotiated a 25% drop in our apartment lease monthly rent. We had an option to renew our lease for a 3% increase and instead got a 25% reduction.

My reason for posting this is to let my fellow New Yorker renters know that rental rates have come down substaintially in the last year so you might want to ask your landlord for your rent to be reduced. It doesn't hurt to ask and you may find you get a nice reduction if you are a good tenant.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 04-16-2009 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 05:48 PM

929 posts, read 2,067,719 times
Good for you! It's great to hear that landlords are starting to see the light. A far cry from the past five years!

Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 PM

304 posts, read 1,303,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Wow, this is a different rental market compared to the previous three years. We just negotiated a 25% drop in our apartment lease monthly rent. We had an option to renew our lease for a 3% increase and instead got a 25% reduction..
I presume that's a market-rate rent -- i.e., not covered by rent stabilization.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:16 PM

149 posts, read 525,104 times
Talking I'm in LI but...

Funny this thread came about as I did the same thing before moving in to my apt. I did get a tip from the family that was moving out; the father had bought and installed carpet on his dime (and let me keep it ) and cautioned that the landlord might charge more than what they were currently paying. Without snitching, I was able to negotiate.

Also, a family friend renting an apt in a private house just got the landlord to knock off $100!!! per month. She simply told her that she'd have to find a room as she couldn't afford to keep the place. That C note got lopped off real quick! She's been there a good 3 years or so.

These hard times has some landlords thinking of the bigger picture,

Old 04-18-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemoll View Post
These hard times has some landlords thinking of the bigger picture,
As my post alluded ... That's more likely if the place isn't rent-stabilized -- such as: where stabilized rent hit $2k (so it was removed from the RS program); or where the place was never covered by rent stabilization, since it's a private house, the building has fewer than six units, or it's a luxury building, or it postdated the stabilization laws.

When a place is unstabilized, the tenants pay market-rate rent, which is whatever the market will bear. Since they've had no rent caps, the landlords probably can afford to shave a few bucks off the current rent. Or they might want to keep a luxury building "populated" ... or they really need a tenant for their private house, two-family, or under-six-units building.

A rent rollback or non-increase is less likely if the place is stabilized -- because legal rent caps have limited the landlord's profit all along.
On the other hand: rent-stabilized tenants have protections that market-rate tenants don't have (such as legal caps on rent increases, and guaranteed lease renewal). That's why many people find stabilized places more attractive to begin with.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:41 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
My rent is/was not subsidized or stabilized, anders.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My rent is/was not subsidized or stabilized, anders.
"Subsidized" = low-income housing, Section 8 vouchers and the like, so is a whole 'nother ball game (like "rent control," which barely exists any more).
But rent stabilization covers a big swath of NYers, at all income levels, who pay under-$2k rent in a 6+-unit building that was built pre-'74 (or post-'74, and owner got a tax break).

If a place is rent-stabilized, the landlord _can_ offer "preferential rent," which is lower than the legal rent. But unless that's offered: Rent-stabilized tenants generally won't get too far if they try to cut a deal -- because the LL's profit already was limited by rent stab. law, and because it's not hard to find new tenants for an under-$2k apartment in a 6+ unit building with rent caps, essentially-guaranteed lease renewal (even if you have a dog and a "no pets" lease, if LL didn't object to the pet within three months), etcetera.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,078 times
Default Help!

M landlord is planning to sell the building in 2 years & began harrasing us to get out.M wife recently died & I have a disabled son 25 as well as myself.I've been her 19 years and no other place to go.The place is a dump ( We pay 1000 allready.Can he just throw us out? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
They did a story about this on Fox 5 Good Day New York a couple of weeks ago --- interesting to say the least. The man they interviewed in the segment gave negotiation tips, etc and even helped the host, Greg Kelly, get his landlady to reduce his rent by a small percentage.

I'm sure if you go to www.myfoxny.com and click on the Good Day tab, you'll be able to find the story in the archives.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:22 PM

104 posts, read 254,714 times
i plan on asking for a reduction when i move to ny.

anytips on good places to live in brooklyn? somewhere between Lutheran medical center and wyckoff medical center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City