Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:50 PM

52 posts, read 91,410 times

Advertisements

I want to move to nyc with my gf and we were looking for some nice places to live. Hopefully this neighborhood is not so bad looking (ghetto) and has a good amount of latinos. My gf is of colombian descent if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 06:16 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,245 times
Jackson Heights [11372] in Queens is a good choice. The neighborhood has a good mix of different Latino ethnic groups such as Mexicans, Columbians, Ecuadorians, Peruvians etc. They're alot to do in Jackson Heights and the neighborhood is pretty close to Manhattan.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,463 times
whats your budget?

Old 05-19-2009, 08:00 PM

49 posts, read 202,294 times
I like Sunset Park. It's somewhat ghetto, but also up-and-coming. It's got great views of the city...you're almost on a mountain. And lots of Mexicanos (and Chinese).

Sunset Park, Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jackson Heights is the obvious choice, given the Colombian community there.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:38 PM

229 posts, read 923,330 times
Union City, NJ. Closer than Brooklyn or Bronx to Manhattan, cheaper and nicer as well as a strong Latino community.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:52 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,524 times
Sunnyside, Queens.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:04 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,354 times
I almost feel like "good middle class neighborhood" and "New York City" are mutually exclusive. It also depends on what you consider "middle class." For some, middle class is 100k household income, others it might be 50k.

If you're of the 100k+ set, Park Slope, Prospect Heights, and Cobble Hill in Brooklyn seems the best for families. Brooklyn doesn't have the largest Latino population though, especially for these neighborhoods. But I consider these neighborhoods good neighborhoods for families, period, but I don't know how much you'd get that feeling of a Latino support network in those areas.

If you're the 50k set, you'd have to go further out (meaning furhter from Manhattan than the above mentioned BK neighborhoods), and might even consider Jersey, as someone mentioned.

Also, other than many areas of Manhattan south of Harlem, many neighborhoods in NYC are mixed economically, especially for a person of color. In Harlem, for instance, there are plenty of well-to-do Harlemites living near projects, because New York is just set up that way. It's difficult to expect a real "middle class neighborhood" if you're a person of color due to the fact that many Blacks and Latinos are struggling in New York City, so the likelihood that you'll find one of these cohesive middle-class communities is pretty slim if you're of the 50k set.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsan1 View Post
Union City, NJ. Closer than Brooklyn or Bronx to Manhattan, cheaper and nicer as well as a strong Latino community.
Co-sign, I lived in North Bergen a little bit, not too far from Union City...loved it! Cubans out the yin-yang up there and it was what I'd consider a "good middle class neighborhood." Def. consider those eastern parts of Jersey that overlook the Hudson (Weehawken, Union City, North Bergen, West New York, Fort Lee, etc). Great views of Manhattan, serene environment, slower pace...

Old 05-21-2009, 12:37 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandel19 View Post
I want to move to nyc with my gf and we were looking for some nice places to live. Hopefully this neighborhood is not so bad looking (ghetto) and has a good amount of latinos. My gf is of colombian descent if that helps.
I would consider Carroll Gardens (Brooklyn), southern Park Slope (Brooklyn), Jackson Heights (Queens), Sunnyside (Queens), Woodside (Queens), Pelham Parkway (Bronx), and Morris Park (Bronx).

Old 06-10-2009, 05:03 PM

41 posts, read 197,659 times
Woodside, Queens (The area near Maspeth), Maspeth, Queens (the parts that boarder Woodside and Middle Village), Jackson Heights (streets in the 70s between Northern & Astoria Blvd.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City