Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:10 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm looking for something interesting to do this weekend outside the city. My girlfriend and I are looking for some place not too pricey and significantly less urban than NYC, but won't take too long to get to. Public transportation and driving are both options. We've been out to Jones Island, Breezy Point, Montauk and Breakneck Ridge/Cold Spring before, so I guess those are out of the picture.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:59 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
New Hope, PA is nice. Expensive if you stay in the town itself but there's cheaper inns close by. You can also stay in Lambertsville, NJ (there's a bridge connecting them).

Old 05-22-2009, 01:51 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,784 times
Not sure if you are looking for a full-weekend getaway or just a day trip. In either case you could go to Westchester. If you like touring historic houses and mansions, there are quite a few - Lyndhurst, Sunnyside, Kykuit, Van Cortlandt Manor, etc. There is also boutique shopping and dining in many of the villages: Tarrytown, Rye, Katonah and Bronxville are particularly nice. Lots of little museums and galleries too if you are into that kind of stuff.

This came to mind because it is in our plans for this weekend

Old 05-22-2009, 01:56 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,784 times
Here is another suggestion: If you are looking for a nice quiet full-weekend getaway - Southern Vermont is nice - and this time of year (not ski season) is considered off-peak so there are good deals in the small inns and B&Bs in the area. The drive is about 4 hours but I-95 traffic can make it longer.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:20 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
New Hope, PA is nice. Expensive if you stay in the town itself but there's cheaper inns close by. You can also stay in Lambertsville, NJ (there's a bridge connecting them).
Frankly, New Hope should be called 'New Hype' - lots of hippy-type stores and PACKED with people. Lambertville (there's no 's' in the name) is nice for antiquing, but the shops are overpriced. Princeton (also nearby) is a nicer place to visit. And reachable by NJ Transit!

Old 05-22-2009, 04:24 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Hey all, I'm looking for something interesting to do this weekend outside the city. My girlfriend and I are looking for some place not too pricey and significantly less urban than NYC, but won't take too long to get to. Public transportation and driving are both options. We've been out to Jones Island, Breezy Point, Montauk and Breakneck Ridge/Cold Spring before, so I guess those are out of the picture.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Get a cabin or stay at a bed & breakfast in the Poconos.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:22 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
our area in the poconos where our home is ,is just fabulous... lake wallenpaupack area.... great places to stay from simple to lavish...

woodloch resort, sky top lodge are the more lavish,,, settlers in or ehrardts are great

Pennsylvania Family Resort | Pocono Resorts | Skytop Lodge, Skytop, PA

Woodloch - A Tradition of Excellence & Hospitality

Ehrhardts Waterfront Resort, Restaurant, Weddings, Banquets Lake Wallenpaupack PA

http://www.thesettlersinn.com/packages.htm

Old 05-22-2009, 06:08 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,374 times
Check out this site for things to do in the Hudson Valley:

http://www.hvnet.com/

Last edited by dma1250; 05-22-2009 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: new link

Old 05-22-2009, 06:11 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,374 times
Here's another good site:

Art Along the Hudson - Celebrating 400 Years of Art

Old 05-23-2009, 09:43 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Here is another suggestion: If you are looking for a nice quiet full-weekend getaway - Southern Vermont is nice - and this time of year (not ski season) is considered off-peak so there are good deals in the small inns and B&Bs in the area. The drive is about 4 hours but I-95 traffic can make it longer.
Actually you don't need to take I-95 to get there (though I-95 into CT to I-91 is one way). Take the Thruway (or better yet, the beautiful Taconic State Parkway) past Albany up I-787 to Troy, then take NY state Rt. 7 east past Troy. You have a few traffic lights in the city of Troy, then it's a beautiful ride through the countryside to Bennington, VT and from there to other parts of southern VT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City