Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 12:03 PM

103 posts, read 304,992 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know this topic has to have been beaten to death, but I only went four pages in and decided to make my own thread. Most of the topics cover moving to NYC but hardly anything on visiting. So instead of asking for recommendations, I want to know from locals what your favorite parts of NYC are, even if they're tourist traps. I have never ever been there. Alas, I'm only going for 3 full days in about 3 weeks. I'll be traveling with one other person that has been there only once. We've been through Tokyo's subway system so I'm hoping that if we did that, we can figure out nyc's subway system.
A little about me, 26.f, I like museums, historical places (to a point), parks, trying new and different food, all things Japanese, plays, seeing sights where movies were filmed, concerts, art, music, etc. I'm going to end this before it starts sounding like a personals ad. Any help appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 12:33 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
The Japan Society will probably have some screenings or exhibitions going on while you're here. For Japanese food, the area on and around St. Mark's Place (Astor Pl. stop on the 6 train) will have a lot of restaurants. My favorite is a hole-in-the-wall okonomiyaki and octopus ball place on 9th st between 2nd and 3rd av. There's also a super kitschy and expensive restaurant with a ninja theme called, what else, Ninja.

As far as good museums, there's the standard MOMA, Guggenheim, Whitney, Natural History and MET which are all fine museums. For lesser known museums, try the Folk Art museum right next to MOMA, the Museum of the City of New-York, PS1 or the Lower East Side Tenement museum (especially if you happen to come on a LES stories tenement talk). You're a little pressed for time, otherwise I'd recommend going to Brooklyn and checking out Prospect Park along with the Brooklyn Museum, a performance at BAM, and bars, restaurants, and concerts in Park Slope. You might want to make it over to the Brooklyn Promenade at least for a good view of Manhattan and maybe a picnic.

WD-50 is an interesting restaurant to give a go (molecular gastronomy and all that). There was some really good Ethiopian restaurant but I forget the name. Peter Luger's Steakhouse might be a good plan if you want to see what old-fashioned carnivoria is like. Smoke Joint is a great BBQ place to eat in if you wind up the area (maybe after a BAM concert?). Definitely try those Chicken & Rice/Lamb & Rice carts strewn around the city, and maybe have some dim sum in Chinatown (Hop Shing comes recommended).

Bryant Park has screenings all summer long, so check the schedule to see if you can make it to one. Also, Central Park will have plays and concerts all summer long (as will Prospect Park to a lesser extent). Also try out the new High Line Park which is an elevated train line turned into a park.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:56 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Don't forget HELLO KITTY! She's from Japan also... her store (Sanrio) is on 42nd St, off 8th Ave, across from Madame Tussaud!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:35 PM

4 posts, read 20,402 times
Default Some more suggestions

Try the Frick, for a small, beautiful manageable museum with fantastic art. The Cloisters uptown is incredible for medieval art. Takashimaya Department store on 5th Avenue for all things Japanese that you can purchase. For strolling, Hudson River Park in the West Village and the new Highline Park in Chelsea.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:50 PM

257 posts, read 824,376 times
I love coney island. I'm sure you've seen the cyclone in movies!

Old 06-30-2009, 08:37 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teraval View Post
Okay, I know this topic has to have been beaten to death, but I only went four pages in and decided to make my own thread. Most of the topics cover moving to NYC but hardly anything on visiting. So instead of asking for recommendations, I want to know from locals what your favorite parts of NYC are, even if they're tourist traps. I have never ever been there. Alas, I'm only going for 3 full days in about 3 weeks. I'll be traveling with one other person that has been there only once. We've been through Tokyo's subway system so I'm hoping that if we did that, we can figure out nyc's subway system.
A little about me, 26.f, I like museums, historical places (to a point), parks, trying new and different food, all things Japanese, plays, seeing sights where movies were filmed, concerts, art, music, etc. I'm going to end this before it starts sounding like a personals ad. Any help appreciated. Thank you!
If you've been to Tokyo, New York won't be difficult to navigate. Tokyo's subway is much more crowded and disorienting. If I were you I would take the N or W to 30th Avenue and check out Astoria, take the 2 or 3 to Court Street and check our Brooklyn Heights, take the L to Bedford Ave and check out Williamsburg, and the 6 to Astor Place and check out St Marks Street in the East Village - these are all very popular neighborhoods for New Yorkers, and it's a bit more off the beaten path than the more recognizable neighborhoods that you see in the movies.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:57 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
If you are interested in movie making, I would suggest you visit the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens (easy to get to by subway).

Old 07-02-2009, 03:17 PM

154 posts, read 535,920 times
this will propably help you out with the movie part:

Filmed in NYC - Wired New York Forum
List of films set in New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of television shows filmed in New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-02-2009, 03:35 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,998 times
Harlem, USA.

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge.

Flushing Meadow Park, site of the '64 World's Fair.

The Bronx River Gorge, in Bronx Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City