Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,830 times

Advertisements

I just came across this thread and wanted to ask about Montgomery between Rogers and Nostrand since everyone seems to have a wealth of knowledge. My girlfriend and I plan to buy a coop in that area, and I wanted to know how safe the area is. Yesterday, I walked around during the day and spoke to some locals on the street and some shops. Some of them told me that the area that I am considering is quiet and crime varies from block to block. I got a good vibe from the area during the day. I've lived in Clinton Hill, Bed Stuy, South Park Slope, and now Bushwick. We originally moved to Bushwick because my girlfriend happens to be an artist, and she wanted to be closer to the artist community in that area. I am really more concerned about safety for my girlfriend. I happen to be African, and I have a bit more street smarts than her. My girlfriend happens to be Filipino. We tend to like to go out at night, so I wanted to know the vibe of that area around Montgomery as well as the President Subway stop. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 03:15 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,360,036 times
I agree with most in this thread.....its ok not the worst but DEF not the best......just be street smart and you should be fine...I used to love Athurines caribbean takeout on Bedford and Kingston(if I remember correctly) and getting my hair washed at Lopez on Troy and Eastern Pkwy...

Old 08-25-2009, 05:12 PM

59 posts, read 174,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
I'm thinking of relocating to a neighborhood in Brooklyn. Carroll Gardens, Park Slop and Williamsburg are too expensive. I found nice areas off Albany Avenue and Eastern Parkway in the crown heights neighborhood. Specific streets I had in mind for apartment searching are Carroll, President, Union sts and Empire BLVD.
A couple questions...
I'm 31 and make about 85K a year.
Do most residents pay rent or do they buy and have a fixed morgage in Crown Heights? (I'm from the suburbs and I know it can varies in the city unlike here) How has this area of Brooklyn undergone gentrification ever since giuliani and Major Bloomberg have taken office, or hasn't it? This area is relatively close to East New York which I hear is a section of NY with the highest crime rate. Do I need to be extra aware of that while living in CH? Any other info on Crown heights would be great!
Public schools aren't important to me, I'm single.
I work there, do yourself a favor and look somewhere else.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,589,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
There is defnitely a hood element in Crown Heights. While it's not on the same level as ENY, there is crime and drugs in that neighborhood on a daily basis. Don't know if you're comfortable with that. With the economy as it is right now, the gentrification has come to halt for basically the entire city so as of now there aren't any major gentrification techniques going on in CH. Crown Heights is also where the Labor Day Caribbean Parade happens on Eastern Parkway- can definitely be rowdy (I can remember nearly being squashed when I was 11) and bad events can happen, but it's a lot of fun that celebrates the fantastic culture.

Overall, you should check it out yourself and see how it fits you.
Gentrification has not came to a halt per se - it is just on hiatus due to the economy. However once the economy picks up gentrification will be back stronger than ever especially with more and more people getting burnt out with the suburban auto centric ,cookie cutter house, strip mall life style. I believe the area you speak of is prime for redevelopement once things pick up economically.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:52 PM

61 posts, read 111,405 times
An old friend of the family has lived on Union Street for over 40 years. She is in her 80s now and I can tell you when the Labor Day parade comes through every year, she has to leave because they start playing LOUD music, smoking, drinking and everything else from 1:30 am the previous day. They double park and block you in and you won't be able to get out. They sit all on her steps, on the hood of people cars the whole nine before the parade even gets started. I can only guess how rowdy it get when the parade is in full effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City