Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 03:43 PM

243 posts, read 1,333,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproax View Post
I have a 98.75 Score and am #193 on the list... Wonder how long before they are estimated to reach my number?

They won't reach it. I have a friend inside the personnel department. They are only calling until list # 190 then stopping. Sorry , you're out of luck.

(See above posts and replies ... you should be called in about 3 years.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 04:13 AM

16 posts, read 92,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
They won't reach it. I have a friend inside the personnel department. They are only calling until list # 190 then stopping. Sorry , you're out of luck.

Do you know when they are calling the first 190? It just so happens I am 190

Old 07-20-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagenius69 View Post
Do you know when they are calling the first 190? It just so happens I am 190

It was a joke they are only calling 190 ... Here is an answer for anyone with a list # from 1-1000 ... I personally have no direct knowledge of how many will be hired off the open competitive list or when they will be hired , but based on my own experience and my knowledge of how things work down here and what is needed , and as Fred X posted correctly the pending buyouts of some very senior motormen that can retire and are staying to boost their pensions , anyone with a list # of around 1-1000 that actually does get hired and complete the process and accepted into schoolcar , my best educated guess which I have been very consistent with on this forum is the process should take about 3 - 3 1/2 years from the time the test was taken.

In my personal case I scored 69/70 for a 98+ and had a list # between 320 and 330. I took the test in October 03 - got my results in January '04 then didn't hear a word or a peep at all until I got called for the drug test/background application in March '07. I took my medical in April '07 and was set to go into school car in April '07 but I personally missed that class by 2 or 3 people and wound up going into school car in June '07. So from the time I took the test , got a list number in the high 300's , to the day i actually started school car was from October 26 2003 until June 4th 2007 , a period of 3 years 7 months a week approximately and that was with not having any medical or background holds placed on me.

I can say that the April and June classes were fairly large (around 80 people per class , though not all passed training or chose to continue it) and there were then from there classes going in regularly which over time got smaller and smaller. I don't remember when the last class went in or how many were in it , maybe Fred X knows.

For those of you waiting on the open competitive list you have one thing positive and one thing negative working with and against you ...

The negative : Promotionals go first and the MTA is laying off workers in non RTO positions (RTO to simplify equals train crew - motormen/conductors) and the status of those being laid off and wether or not they will be allowed onto any promotional lists or given any preference for hiring as motormen or conductors has still not been worked out between the union and management. At the present moment they do not have any special status toward being hired for these positions.

The positive : Motormen are continuing to retire , and if these buyouts come through it will have some effect on more motormen retirements. The more guys go , the more get hired since I know the MTA wants to at the very least keep up appearances of trying to reduce OT in RTO and other departments.

With all that being said , the MTA could hire many more and much more quickly that anticipated from the open competitive test , they could hire nobody off it. I do not know what their actual plans are , all I can do is post my best educated guesses for everyone.

As always , I wish everybody luck in getting called and hope you make it in and like the job.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 PM

4 posts, read 22,584 times
Default Finally

I have finally received my score 100, and my list#. Im list #30. I guess I have a good shot at obtaining the career of my dreams One question I have is do they send you a letter in the mail of when to start processing or do they call you because i keep hearing people say "when i got the call". I ask because DCAS doesnt have my number i believe. I hope they send out letters instead. Also will an arrest for smoking weed when i was 17 disqualify me. Congratulations to everyone who passed. People will soon realize that this isnt just some test you take that gets ran through like the police lists. You have to have a high level of interest in the job and score extremely high to even get the chance of your number being reached. Good luck to all, hopefully i see you guys down there. On the 7, Q, A or J line if i get my way.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremotorman View Post
I have finally received my score 100, and my list#. Im list #30. I guess I have a good shot at obtaining the career of my dreams One question I have is do they send you a letter in the mail of when to start processing or do they call you because i keep hearing people say "when i got the call". I ask because DCAS doesnt have my number i believe. I hope they send out letters instead. Also will an arrest for smoking weed when i was 17 disqualify me. Congratulations to everyone who passed. People will soon realize that this isnt just some test you take that gets ran through like the police lists. You have to have a high level of interest in the job and score extremely high to even get the chance of your number being reached. Good luck to all, hopefully i see you guys down there. On the 7, Q, A or J line if i get my way.

With a list # of 30 you will definitely get called for further processing. It is extremely unlikely that an arrest at 17 for misdemeanor marijuana use , or if it was only a summons for a violation will disqualify you. I doubt it. Basically for most civil service positions the only misdemeanor convictions that will bar someone from employment are for sexual abuse or petit larceny. Since you were 17 you would be considered a youthful offender for 1 , and 2 , an arrest is not the same as a conviction. It would be harder to get hired if you have a conviction for misdemeanor petit larceny that two arrests but zero convictions for murder.
They will certainly contact you by mail initially. Once that is done , they may call you for something via phone , you'll have to update them with your contact info , but the initial "call" will be a letter.
The 'A' division is the numbered lines (IRT) , the 'B' division is the lettered lines (BMT/IND) ... you will pick a division when you get hired and when you are hired after training (school car) you will be on the extra extra list in your division which means you will be working either a different line or different yard in your division every day. You will be moving around a lot , covering for people that are out or covering open jobs.
Good luck.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:15 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
I don't remember when the last class went in or how many were in it , maybe Fred X knows.
No, I don't know how many were in the last class.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 28,200 times
Quote:

that sounds like a crock too me! I'n not trying to create strife, But you should not play with people's emotions,

ANYWAYS, A friend of mine who is a train operator supervisor told me this morning that His Brother ( a school car teacher ) told him that they are about to start calling of this list and they are gearing up to start a class very soon.

BTW to everyone who is waiting . Just keep living your life. when/if it happens it happens, Dont let these forums bring you down or gas you up.

My list # is 910 , Im thinking I might not want it B/c I wont have a weekend off for a long long time, ...whatever who knows what my situation will be at the time if it happens at all.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisola11206 View Post
that sounds like a crock too me! I'n not trying to create strife, But you should not play with people's emotions,

ANYWAYS, A friend of mine who is a train operator supervisor told me this morning that His Brother ( a school car teacher ) told him that they are about to start calling of this list and they are gearing up to start a class very soon.

BTW to everyone who is waiting . Just keep living your life. when/if it happens it happens, Dont let these forums bring you down or gas you up.

My list # is 910 , Im thinking I might not want it B/c I wont have a weekend off for a long long time, ...whatever who knows what my situation will be at the time if it happens at all.

If you paid any attention to what I posted and read my posts in their entirety and context , you would understand it was a joke that they were only calling to 190 , when the person who asked the question said they were list #193. Common sense should tell you that they wouldn't stop at a random number like 190 , and even if they did how would I or anybody else know it. I don't believe you or your so called "train operator supervisor" connections because there is no way period that they are calling anybody off the open competitive list right now. So you are either being misinformed or flat out lying and pretending to have some inside information that you do not really have.
Promotionals will get called first and that is going to take time. I know it will take around 3 years for those on the open competitive list that will eventually be called , to be called. I have been posting information here for quite some time and answering private messages and I am already on the job so don't come on here and try and call me out when you don't know squat.
I already have the job , it makes no difference to me personally who gets called or doesn't , but I remember what it was like to be on the other side waiting and how like many people who post here I was desperate to get any information on when I would be hired. There may be a class going in soon and if there is it will be from the promotional list exclusively and from those at the top of it.
In the future you should know what you are talking about before you come on here and try and act like a somebody that knows something. Or you can pretend to know what you are talking about and then you would be the one playing with peoples emotions , jackass.
Everyone on the list will have no choice but to live their lives and wait and if it happens , it happens , just like I and every other motorman did , because there is no way for any individual to influence things to make it go any faster.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:52 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
MotormanMike:"Basically for most civil service positions the only misdemeanor convictions that will bar someone from employment are for sexual abuse or petit larceny."

I don't agree with that part with regards to petit larceny. I would think they would investigate you during your background check and the outcome would be on a case by case basis. As long as your honest and don't try to hide it,you really shouldn't have a problem.

The majority of petit larceny sentences are
restitution,community service and a fine.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:42 PM

4 posts, read 28,200 times
Quote:
If you paid any attention to what I posted and read my posts in their entirety and context , you would understand it was a joke that they were only calling to 190 , when the person who asked the question said they were list #193. Common sense should tell you that they wouldn't stop at a random number like 190 , and even if they did how would I or anybody else know it. I don't believe you or your so called "train operator supervisor" connections because there is no way period that they are calling anybody off the open competitive list right now. So you are either being misinformed or flat out lying and pretending to have some inside information that you do not really have.
Promotionals will get called first and that is going to take time. I know it will take around 3 years for those on the open competitive list that will eventually be called , to be called. I have been posting information here for quite some time and answering private messages and I am already on the job so don't come on here and try and call me out when you don't know squat.
I already have the job , it makes no difference to me personally who gets called or doesn't , but I remember what it was like to be on the other side waiting and how like many people who post here I was desperate to get any information on when I would be hired. There may be a class going in soon and if there is it will be from the promotional list exclusively and from those at the top of it.
In the future you should know what you are talking about before you come on here and try and act like a somebody that knows something. Or you can pretend to know what you are talking about and then you would be the one playing with peoples emotions , jackass.
Everyone on the list will have no choice but to live their lives and wait and if it happens , it happens , just like I and every other motorman did , because there is no way for any individual to influence things to make it go any faster.
Like I said I am Not here to create strife, I forgive you for calling me a jack ass, B/c I am A MAN And not A Little kid Or INTERNET tough guy, I was Just passing on What was told to me be it fact or fiction I cant call it. Btw at the time I wrote my repley; your post about you only joking about the "190" was not yet displayed. perhaps we were writing them about the same time only I am a very poor keyboader so I take longer to type than your avg. Joe.

I want to apologize to you If you felt I rubbed you the wrong way,

peace and blessing to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City