Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 05:06 PM

42 posts, read 117,368 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm going for a visit to NYC for the first time from Philly. It's part of a school trip to Ellis Island. I have to to meat my teacher at [SIZE=2][SIZE=-1]Liberty State Park in NJ. Now after The Ellis Island tour I'd like to go see the statue of liberty, do I just get back on the ferry to go to it? After that I want to go to Time's Square and Ground Zero. What's the best way to do this from where I'm going to be? Also anything else I should check out that can be done on a day trip?

Thanks
Fred
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
The ferries go from Battery Park in Lower Manhattan to the Statue Liberty and then continue on to Ellis Island and from there return to Manhattan. As far as I know the ferries only go in that direction. Tickets for the ferries can be purchased in Manhattan and then passengers just hop on & off the ferries at Liberty & Ellis Islands. (I think that the tickets are only shown when boarding at Battery Park.)
From Battery Park, you can walk to Ground Zero, but there is really not much to see there as it is a construction site. There is a small museum dedicated to 9/11-Ground Zero near the site. If you want to go Times Square, I suggest you take the subway. You can either the number 1 train from the South Ferry subway station or the N or W trains from the Whitehall-South Ferry stations to Times Square which are the closest to where one gets off the Statue of Liberty ferry.
If you are at Ground Zero, you can take the numbers 1, 2 or 3 trains to Times Square.
If you remain in Lower Manhattan, you might want to check out the South Street Seaport (near Fulton Street), which is next to the Manhattan side of the Brookyn Bridge.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:54 AM

Thanks Chava61! Just what I needed to know.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:58 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Since it's your first time to NYC, you might also want to consider an observation deck, either at the Empire State Building or Top of the Rock in Rockefeller Center. Either will give you a great perspective of the city from above, though the ESB tends to be more crowded. Both are under $20 for a regular ticket, though the ESB does have an express lane with no wait if you don't mind paying a bit over $40.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:59 PM

Do I need exact change or anything for the subway? And I'm sure a ferry leaves from the NJ side, My real concern is getting back to my car being as I understand it the ferry's stop running around 5:30 and I'd like to stay longer then that

Old 07-21-2009, 01:52 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDemo KnightX View Post
Do I need exact change or anything for the subway? And I'm sure a ferry leaves from the NJ side, My real concern is getting back to my car being as I understand it the ferry's stop running around 5:30 and I'd like to stay longer then that
The subway uses a Metrocard for entry, although you can pay cash if you enter through station that has a manned booth.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:07 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
You can also buy a Metrocard (good for the subway & buses) using a debit or credit card from self-service machines at the subway stations.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:44 PM

How about getting back to my car after the ferry stops? I'm leaving in 7 hours so i need to know lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: