Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:28 AM

4 posts, read 80,552 times

Advertisements

I am a student working in Manhattan this summer, and I am considering staying in the dorms at City College of New York in Harlem. Here's the address:

401 W. 130th Street
New York, NY 10027

Would it be safe to live here if I plan on taking the train to the city everyday?

Being 19 yrs old and only 5' 2", I am not a very intimidating Asian male either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 04:38 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,212 times
Apparently things have changed a bit in the 10 months that I've moved out of NY. Folks are giving the thumbs up to places I never would have considered living near. Here's what I remember... it is not the nicest of neighborhoods to live in. It isn't too bad of a walk to the 125 St subway station but I would stay away from the park after dark. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:26 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
Just stay inside at night. My uncle works in an East Harlem precinct on NYPD and he’s always getting calls about shootings, homicides, stabbings, etc. The Bloods are also heavily concentrated in East Harlem and are known for going up to innocent people and slitting their face with a razor blade. In fact, a guy on another forum was killed in Washington Heights which is close to Harlem last year. TLOZ Link5 on wirednewyork.com, a great NYU student from what I’ve heard. I’m not trying to scare you, but Harlem’s not getting any better, it’s actually getting worse…again. Always carry a phone and walk with at least one person.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:26 PM

wow, assaults on innocent people? Do these attacks happen in the daylight? Am I pretty safe if I stay on CCNY campus and only make trips to the nearest subway station?

Old 04-23-2007, 08:33 PM

8 posts, read 53,181 times
It is not the greatest area. If you are a male, you are better off than a female is. The people who get attacked are the people who take the subway late at night or walk down a dark street alone late at night.

If I were you, I would try to stay somewhere else. The Columbia campus is at 116th and Broadway. That is a much better area to live in and a lot safer.

My advice is to stay somewhere else because you are not going to want to be stuck in your apt. all summer after dark. Its better to have a longer commute than to live in an area in which you don't feel safe.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:45 PM

the problem with other places is that they end in the first week of August. I've also posted on wirednewyork and I've heard mix opinions. People have said that the area is not too bad and to just mind your businesses and not look uncomfortable.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:03 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Just to clarify the immediate area around City College is not East Harlem.

I don't know but I lived in Harlem for quite some time (10 + years) and I never felt like I was in any major danger, and nothing bad ever happened to me. You shouldn't feel like someone is going to attack or mug you in broad daylight. However, i'm not going to lie, and make it seem like something it is not either. Harlem is still a gritty neighborhood and you have to be aware of your surroundings.

The area around city college is very safe during the day. Most of the danger is at night. Are you going to be going out at night a lot? How late? Do those ugly purple city college buses run late and take students back to the dorm area?

Common sense and basic street smarts can really take you a long way and keep you safe, and this applies to anywhere in NYC not just Harlem. For instance stay on busy streets (streets that still have cars passing by) that have good lighting. Also don't walk like your scared or running away from someone but walk at a quick pace and like you know where your going. Also depending on the situation sometimes your better off taking a cab. If you can join up with someone in a similar situation and walk with them at night if you have to. It is always better to walk with someone than walking by yourself.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 PM

I'll be going back and forth with a room mate on a typical daily 9 to 5 job.

Just for a point of reference, I currently go to UPenn in West Philly. I'd say the campus is really safe, even at night. I have not really gone out west though.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Knowing the area well I don't think you should worry too much unless you are going to be out really late. But you should be careful anywhere in NYC if your going to be out really late.

Just so you know, I used to see CCNY students still walking around the area at 9 and 10 P.M. (late classes, or study groups I presume).

Get to know your surroundings. It really helps you blend in when you know where your going. The more you blend in, the less of a possible mark you become. I feel like McGruff now, lol.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-23-2007 at 10:33 PM..

Old 04-24-2007, 04:48 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
I'll be going back and forth with a room mate on a typical daily 9 to 5 job.

Just for a point of reference, I currently go to UPenn in West Philly. I'd say the campus is really safe, even at night. I have not really gone out west though.
You should be fine. I'd say the real danger will start at around 8-9 PM. That's when most of my uncle's bad 911 calls come in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City