Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:38 PM

280 posts, read 603,832 times

Advertisements

We spend a few hours at the Central Park today with our 4 year old son. Coming from the closed down field #5 at the Robert Moses beach we came to the city empty handed and just strolled from the 59th up to 91st street, while having a ton of fun.

We were at the park from 3:30-6pm. We didn't see any kids walking. We didn't see any kids having fun riding bikes. We didn't see any families just walking with their kids for the purpose of having a walk. We only saw kids in jogging strollers. That's it. Where were they today??? Where are the families of NYC of a Friday afternoon?

Where were all the thousands of kids who live in NYC? Eating dinner? What about all those cool LikeaBikers, will I ever see a little kid on one of those before I buy one, if not in NYC then where?

Last edited by ResearchMom; 08-07-2009 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 10:47 PM

346 posts, read 1,256,934 times
Probably moved to the outer boroughs or the suburbs like everyone else.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:09 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Don't forget that many families are on vacation, at their summer houses, or the children are still at camp or indoor activities in the city. That could be why you did not see too many children in the park today. Some people I know tend to have the children out earlier in the day, to limit sun exposure, and to provide for a regular schedule if they are still in the afternoon-nap years.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-08-2009, 10:34 PM

280 posts, read 603,832 times
Well for the "greatest city in the world" I find that VERY odd.

I don't care that they are away for the summer, or at camp, it makes no sense to me. There are millions of people living in NYC, with hundreds of tourists around. On the most beautiful day of the summer, there should have been families upon families strolling around. I understand it was Friday, but still...

Recently I've read that recent research points to the reversal in the way we bring up our kids nowadays. In the past kids had more fun outdoors, with strict rules and chores to do at home. Now they are free to bounce off the walls at home, but the moment they enter a park, parents literally hover all over them. Don't touch this, don't go there, give it back, say sorry, is all I hear!!! I see this everywhere. Notice how parents often rule the playgrounds here and now. Kids are not trusted nowadays. I say give kids a chance to be kids!

Well, at least my son got to own the park that day. I felt like he was the last child running

Last edited by ResearchMom; 08-08-2009 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 11:48 PM

84 posts, read 283,898 times
Playing video games.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:10 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWS Cowboy View Post
Playing video games.
Yeah I agree or at the computer or maybe parents do not want to the parks because they just got home from work. However if you would go on Sunday there are many kids in the parks or even saturday

Old 08-09-2009, 12:40 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
I see plenty of kids in Manhattan, but they're all toddlers. I think once they start to walk their parents get worried and move them out of the city. I'm sure education and apartment size has a lot to do with it too.

It's one thing to share a small apartment with the toddler. Sharing one with a 10 year old or a teenager is a very different thing.

It takes a lot of money to raise kids in the city. Even the rich struggle. You can get so much more for the money in the suburbs. For example, you can get a very nice house in Westport for $1 million and not have to pay for private school.

$1 million is a lot of money, but not for a family apartment in Manhattan.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:49 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post

I don't care that they are away for the summer, or at camp, it makes no sense to me. There are millions of people living in NYC, with hundreds of tourists around. On the most beautiful day of the summer, there should have been families upon families strolling around. I understand it was Friday, but still...

Recently I've read that recent research points to the reversal in the way we bring up our kids nowadays. In the past kids had more fun outdoors, with strict rules and chores to do at home. Now they are free to bounce off the walls at home, but the moment they enter a park, parents literally hover all over them. Don't touch this, don't go there, give it back, say sorry, is all I hear!!! I see this everywhere. Notice how parents often rule the playgrounds here and now. Kids are not trusted nowadays. I say give kids a chance to be kids!

Well, at least my son got to own the park that day. I felt like he was the last child running
Sorry, you sound like a Soccer Mom in love with NYC. Pure fantasy.

Central Park is NOT a place of Soccer Moms and their children. Soccer Moms belong in the suburbs!

When NYC parents wan't to give their children a dose of grass, sunshine and nature, they take them to their summer homes at the beach, in the mountains, or on a tropical island. This is NYC, people are RICH! particularly those living within stroller distance of Central Park.

So, if you have hopes of hob-knobbing with the other Soccer Moms in Central Park, a bit of perspective might be in order. Most of the "moms" pushing strollers will be paid Nannies!

Welcome to NY.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:10 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post

Most parents in NYC WORK to be able to afford to live in Manhattan. Also, most kids attend all-day camp so the parents can work--- I know my daughter's camp runs from 9am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.

Try going to Central Park on a Saturday. There are kids and families EVERYWHERE. Don't let your one weekday excursion from LI to Manhattan form your opinion on "the greatest city in the world".

Old 08-10-2009, 08:10 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
I got to high line park (not even really a park) every day to walk and there seems to be lots of families there. Having lunch, walking, doing stuff. lots of tourists too.

Personally I hate greenery and everything along with it. Even when I was little I hated camp. I was always more about swings and stuff than "being a kid and getting dirty" I grew up on an ache with a huge yard and i had all the out doors i could ever want and had no inerest in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City