Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 07:11 PM

360 posts, read 735,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
Yeah there is a class of Supv going in. So that is 25 more San. Wkr off headcount.

i do really think this november where in for a big surpirse with mike bloomberg .... just a hunch ... we thought imminent layoffs where going to come july they never came and more and more either leaving etc etc i think that est. 5 billion hole is going to be slimmed down much more and according to farmers almanach white golds coming.... i mean sep 1 55 degrees oooooo yea ....... lol

Old 09-02-2009, 06:19 PM

372 posts, read 830,116 times
NOO new class till tier 5 man... I have not heard anything about it...rite now the mayor is trying to stay under the radar because election time is almost here.... remember next years GAP is worse then this years i doubt he is going to hire under tier 4 plus i doubt he is going to hire he is going to try and save as much money as possible with out laying off... and the unions are pretty firm with no tier 5 and no 10% medical... so unless we budge with something we are probably not going to get anything.... I don't care how well you think the stock market is doing and for some reason you think we made back the 30 billion we lost in the pension fund.... I'm not into all the stocks and all the nasdaq stuff but I'm pretty sure we didn't get back all that money we lost in a few months just impossible the economy wasn't like it was 4 years ago....

Old 09-02-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
NOO new class till tier 5 man... I have not heard anything about it...rite now the mayor is trying to stay under the radar because election time is almost here.... remember next years GAP is worse then this years i doubt he is going to hire under tier 4 plus i doubt he is going to hire he is going to try and save as much money as possible with out laying off... and the unions are pretty firm with no tier 5 and no 10% medical... so unless we budge with something we are probably not going to get anything.... I don't care how well you think the stock market is doing and for some reason you think we made back the 30 billion we lost in the pension fund.... I'm not into all the stocks and all the nasdaq stuff but I'm pretty sure we didn't get back all that money we lost in a few months just impossible the economy wasn't like it was 4 years ago....

You make a great point king i wasent saying the entire deficit was going to be made back its like a giant mutual fund... peoples 401ks etc all i was saying the highest the market has peeked was DOW 14,093 and by march 09 it went too a staggering 6626!!! i by no means think that 30 billion was made back (yet) but without question a portion should of that should of bein made back.... the only thing hindering the economy right now is unemployment .... Since thats down it brings everything else down you need spending too continue on to enchance the economy. The Market since those market lows have nearly gained 50% ... I looked at a few clients porfolios seeing literally 300-400% gains and to 100% honest , If you where to ask me would you of expected this i would of said not in a million years. Every anylast even warren buffet himeself would of told you the market would of rebounded . The city has to also be treated like a company...loses 30 billion ... If the money stayed you would imagine near 10-12 billion was made back ...Are we still in a hole..? of course still in a real deep hole just saying from when bloomberg and a cute blind man where throwing out these huge city job cuts cutting teachers city workers etc etc they had these conversations during the all out blowout lows... 6 months have passed...its a completly diffrent economy....It has also bein 1 year since the huge too big too fail bank Lehman Brothers went belly up i would say thats when all of this really started hitting people....The recession has so called bein around since december 2007 ... But i havent seen the pain and angoush start until last year... Since the credit and housing bubble bursted...Listen i wasent saying we are out i was stating if they simply kept the pension fund there which i presumptively think they have done it would of made back minn.. 30-35% and thats a big chunk of change...And King your 100% right i believe blooms wont hire until a tier 5 is started but the union is stroung but hes also one of the smartest business men around ... Hes more of business man then a mayor i saw Julienne as a mayor more so then bloomberg...Tier 5 i think will be negoitated and passed and to wrap this up i was saying in my last post and im sure you could even ask people on this board ...If people are leaving there leaving and one old time quote RETIRED SANMAN use to say people die, get sick, quit, get fired.... there is no way only 400+ san workers out of what 28,000 from test 6060 ??? will be hired it will be more and i could see them extending the list due to the hard times... sorry if this was long i guess i had alot on my mind and to be honest.... im looking optimistic about it ... I went out and got my cdl prior took this test wanting to be a san worker... I dont know something about the job ..Yea im involved in a white collar postion but i would love to do that on the side and do my true job i really want and thats this job....And king i fully respect your inserts you seem too always have something to say... which im glad we get at least one post a day involving this list... And if i ever get on def want too treat everyone to a drink that makes me able to sleep at night .. lol if i never stumbled on this forum i would feel lost.... night everyone...

Old 09-02-2009, 08:43 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deac39 View Post
You make a great point king i wasent saying the entire deficit was going to be made back its like a giant mutual fund... peoples 401ks etc all i was saying the highest the market has peeked was DOW 14,093 and by march 09 it went too a staggering 6626!!! i by no means think that 30 billion was made back (yet) but without question a portion should of that should of bein made back.... the only thing hindering the economy right now is unemployment .... Since thats down it brings everything else down you need spending too continue on to enchance the economy. The Market since those market lows have nearly gained 50% ... I looked at a few clients porfolios seeing literally 300-400% gains and to 100% honest , If you where to ask me would you of expected this i would of said not in a million years. Every anylast even warren buffet himeself would of told you the market would of rebounded . The city has to also be treated like a company...loses 30 billion ... If the money stayed you would imagine near 10-12 billion was made back ...Are we still in a hole..? of course still in a real deep hole just saying from when bloomberg and a cute blind man where throwing out these huge city job cuts cutting teachers city workers etc etc they had these conversations during the all out blowout lows... 6 months have passed...its a completly diffrent economy....It has also bein 1 year since the huge too big too fail bank Lehman Brothers went belly up i would say thats when all of this really started hitting people....The recession has so called bein around since december 2007 ... But i havent seen the pain and angoush start until last year... Since the credit and housing bubble bursted...Listen i wasent saying we are out i was stating if they simply kept the pension fund there which i presumptively think they have done it would of made back minn.. 30-35% and thats a big chunk of change...And King your 100% right i believe blooms wont hire until a tier 5 is started but the union is stroung but hes also one of the smartest business men around ... Hes more of business man then a mayor i saw Julienne as a mayor more so then bloomberg...Tier 5 i think will be negoitated and passed and to wrap this up i was saying in my last post and im sure you could even ask people on this board ...If people are leaving there leaving and one old time quote RETIRED SANMAN use to say people die, get sick, quit, get fired.... there is no way only 400+ san workers out of what 28,000 from test 6060 ??? will be hired it will be more and i could see them extending the list due to the hard times... sorry if this was long i guess i had alot on my mind and to be honest.... im looking optimistic about it ... I went out and got my cdl prior took this test wanting to be a san worker... I dont know something about the job ..Yea im involved in a white collar postion but i would love to do that on the side and do my true job i really want and thats this job....And king i fully respect your inserts you seem too always have something to say... which im glad we get at least one post a day involving this list... And if i ever get on def want too treat everyone to a drink that makes me able to sleep at night .. lol if i never stumbled on this forum i would feel lost.... night everyone...
I have heard that white collar workers who go into DSNY have the hardest time adjusting to the job. They aren't used to getting dirty, sweaty and all of the aspects of doing a physical job. I am sure that the people who work at your office look down on "blue collar workers" but that is the way it has always been.

Deac39, as much as you want to get on, these guys who are on the job and posting on here would know what is going on. You will have a longer wait then you originally thought. I agree with what they are saying.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:11 PM

49 posts, read 83,018 times
Deac39 .. What is your list # ?

Old 09-03-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1475 View Post
Deac39 .. What is your list # ?
Lol real close to yours #1450 lol

Old 09-03-2009, 09:00 PM

if 1450 is reached it might be at the end of the list....200 guys in 14 months and counting i think we went through 450#'s so that means with in those numbers guys mite have got there stuff together or are now of age or realized there old job wasnt rite for them...so the next class you could have a guy with list #10 with a guy list #400 etc...the physical only went up to list #840...two things could possible happen due to the fact that DSNY is not hiring...#1 worst case the list may only get up to say #1200 or around there (after nite plow we will be going on 2 years with no classes)....or #2 worst case/best case --due to the fact we have not hired in so long and the headcount dropped big time there could be a class like every month and they can go on a huge hiring frenzy...Just remember there is alot more to consider when saying we gotta get called its been so long headcount is down people are retiring...THE MAYOR wants tier 5 bad and wants %10 medical, along with the fact that the budget gap is worse for next year...the fact that they say its gonna be a bad winter means nothing (the weather man can't get tomorows weather right lol)...We will all get a glimpse of the future once the election is over...like a few people have said watch out that after the election that were not laid off....(I'm not trying to put any one down or tell you, your never gonna get hired im just writing this stuff for the people that are optimistic and trying to tell you the worst case because no one knows what the future holds )

Old 09-04-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
if 1450 is reached it might be at the end of the list....200 guys in 14 months and counting i think we went through 450#'s so that means with in those numbers guys mite have got there stuff together or are now of age or realized there old job wasnt rite for them...so the next class you could have a guy with list #10 with a guy list #400 etc...the physical only went up to list #840...two things could possible happen due to the fact that DSNY is not hiring...#1 worst case the list may only get up to say #1200 or around there (after nite plow we will be going on 2 years with no classes)....or #2 worst case/best case --due to the fact we have not hired in so long and the headcount dropped big time there could be a class like every month and they can go on a huge hiring frenzy...Just remember there is alot more to consider when saying we gotta get called its been so long headcount is down people are retiring...THE MAYOR wants tier 5 bad and wants %10 medical, along with the fact that the budget gap is worse for next year...the fact that they say its gonna be a bad winter means nothing (the weather man can't get tomorows weather right lol)...We will all get a glimpse of the future once the election is over...like a few people have said watch out that after the election that were not laid off....(I'm not trying to put any one down or tell you, your never gonna get hired im just writing this stuff for the people that are optimistic and trying to tell you the worst case because no one knows what the future holds )
I wasent expecting to be called regardless by the next class anyway..... King i have talked to people on here, san workers on the street,people relatively that are really high up and so far your prediction as in how high the list will get is the lowest i have heard. So your saying 1500 workers out of what 28,000 and thats it..? Technically wouldent you think the city would extend the list ...I know they dont have too but say they dont hire you really think bloomberg would say hey its ok 450 out of 28000 is a good ratio ... Listen i know he can do whatever he wants and there is nothing that can be done about it. Im just tring to reassure myself and anyone else with a list number that got over a 100 on this exam some confidence .Yes i understand times are tuff and where in the "Great Recession" but there is no way you could convince me that things are where worse from 6 months ago. I even looked back 6 months ago i would say a large majority of daily patrons on this wall thought eminent layoffs where to be made starting july... Besides cuts from what i saw i didient hear about layoffs...And mike bloomerg said that layoffs where GUARANTEED if wasent passed before july....still nothing .... its called business . And i dont want to sound like a old record but ill say it again the economy is in a hell of alot better shape then it was 6 months ago.... Doom and Gloom back then nationalization ... The goverment will control all the banks .... (It was a thought it did not happen) King i bet you know your stuff and reliable to alot of information and am not downing anything you wrote....Just say we have 500 more san workers needed you dont think i would at least get called for medical and pre-or? From a Q i asked a few weeks ago if i got a list number 1450 yet the guy who got list number 1100 doesent have his cdl i could go to pre-or prior and jump ahead.... If anything i say is wroung and someone here that is on the job could tell me im open ears...

Old 09-04-2009, 05:34 AM

well layoffs were put on hold for 3 months because we gave something to the city we gave some health care money to them or something like that.....I'm not saying there not gonna reach you they prb will by the time the list ends im just saying what if they don't...

Old 09-04-2009, 05:49 AM

Quote:
well layoffs were put on hold for 3 months because we gave something to the city we gave some health care money to them or something like that.....I'm not saying there not gonna reach you they prb will by the time the list ends im just saying what if they don't...

If they dont continue doing what im doing now... lol but lifes like a box of chocolates you never know what your going to get... lol Ive noticed life throws curve balls i would of never took the san test if i never called my friend that day he was mailing is money order .. He told me dude sign up dont hurt and then found all friends where doing it so i did ... that was what shesh over 2 years ago..? time flys.... And your right lifes funny even job i have now i got offered cause bartending i gave a broker a free shot of goose and he said kid ever see the movie Wall Street rest is history lol .. noone knows what a hour from now a day from now 2 years from now holds... off the subject anyone see mike bloomberg at the little league world series they had like 30 screaming kids and him dead in the middle with a huge frown and arms crossed lol .. Hes looking too really seal the deal on this election i see lol ...I talked to him during the travis 4th of day parade i said "mike when you hiring already..?" He chuckled and said enjoy the holiday lmao..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City