Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 11:52 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,932 times

Advertisements

If they were to run against eachother in the 2008 election who would win New York state?
I'm really curious because being someone like me who is not from NY( or know anyone from there) I always heard how popular Julaini was for being stong after 9/11 and I hear Clinton is popular there too so who takes New York in a showdown?

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by sfw1979; 04-27-2007 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: added something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 12:43 PM

25 posts, read 88,052 times
Lol, Its spelled Giuliani. And Clinton would probably win because of how popular she is with the NYC folk, all 8+ million of them.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:39 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
Clinton is not popular where I live upstate. Her mindset is more on national politics. She showed up at the state fair looking like she was about to appear on Green Acres (the old tv show) in a red and white checked farmer type shirt as if she were an actor playing a part. She really doesn't know who we are here. It was almost offensive.

I don't know much about Guiliana other than he did a masterful job cleaning up NYC from previous administrations. It went from one of the worst to one of the best crimewise and in cleanliness. I have heard he is difficult.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:39 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
If they were to run against eachother in the 2008 election who would win New York state?
I'm really curious because being someone like me who is not from NY( or know anyone from there) I always heard how popular Julaini was for being stong after 9/11 and I hear Clinton is popular there too so who takes New York in a showdown?

Thanks for reading!

This is a really interesting question. I wonder if anyone's done any actual polls on it yet. Have to go google it I guess . . .

I think I'd have to say Rudy would just edge out Hillary in a really, really, really close race.

Since you're not from NY, here's a some completely biased political discussion on NY:

Upstate NY: conservative, largely white, lots of republicans
NYC area: liberal, lots of ethnicities, heavily democratic

That being said, Republican Giuliani was elected Mayor of heavily-democratic NYC (twice), the first time largely because his predecessor was seen as ineffective on fiscal and quality-of-life (i.e, crime) issues. But for a republican he's pretty liberal (i.e., his abortion views).

And Democrat senator Clinton was easily elected (again, twice) with a majority suggesting that even more conservative upstate NY voted for her in big #s, both times probably largely because no meaningful republican candidate ran against her (i.e., Guiliani, ex-Gov Pataki, etc . . . )

So who really knows for sure . . .

I think the swing votes would be in Long Island and Westchester county, and I have a gut feeling that they would go for Guiliani . . .

Old 04-27-2007, 07:50 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
I think the swing votes would be in Long Island and Westchester county, and I have a gut feeling that they would go for Guiliani . . .

I love this possible race, my friends and I have debated it endlessly. From the moment Charles Rangel started courting her to run for the Senate, I think all NY'ers knew this was Hillary's incubation period, that eventually she'd make a run at the presidency. Just for that reason I think she'll edge out Giuliani in NY.

His personal life is a problem for some people I know, especially for people tired of seeing his marital problems played out on the tabloids. Isn't that a kick, his personal relations will be more damaging than hers. And, I know people who are planning to vote for her just because she is a woman.

He was good mayor and could make a good president. This is going to be a consequential election year.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:47 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times
Mr. Guiliani would be a horrible choice for President. First off, his ego is off the charts. If you think Bush lacks diplomatic skills, which is painfully obvious, ask any NYPD member about Guiliani. He sold them out and and does things by the "my way or no way" philosophy. A very dangerous choice for President who would further isolate the USA. He did nothing for NYC on and after 9/11. He was part of the reason all the firefighters died, having inferior equipment which prevented many of them in the tower from realizing that the buildings were going to collapse due to having antiquated radio equipment which Mr. Guiliani felt no need to modernize. He is as useless as **** on a bull and only cares about his homely, homewrecking girlfriend, advancing his career, and of course the free front row Yankee tickets he regularly accepts from a convicted felon, Mr. George Steinbrenner.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:17 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,286 times
Up here we see Hillary as a carpetbagger. We're just a steppingstone to the White House, and like all stepping stones, all we get to see of her are the soles of her Ferragamo shoes.

Giuliani has a lot of my respect and those of others upstate. From our perspective, he cleaned-up NYC and made it habitable again. After the miserable years of Lindsay through Dinkins, Giuliani was like the second-coming; doing what many said was impossible.

During 9/11 he was amazing. When I compare Giuliani's performance to that of New Orleans' Ray Nagin, it's night and day. I know the FDNY and NYPD have their issues with Giuliani, but in this state, he's a hero. That doesn't mean he'll be president. He leads a very... how to put it... colorful personal life that I don't think the Red states are quite ready for.

What actually happens in New York, however, is decided by, "three men in a smoky room." They will tell us who will win and we will accept it. New York has always run this way and perhaps always will. It's a bifurcated state.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:03 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,504 times
Peter B you are way off base brother. Guilianni was very popular in NYC. He made governement effective and he made government agencies work. He always made decisions in the interest of his city, not the union. Sure the police unions bashed him for not paying them, but that is not every thing. He turned that city around. If you ever worked or lived under Dinkins you would know what I'm talking about. He is the first politician I have ever seen, who is not afraid to take the bull by the horns and make GOVERNMENT WORK. I have some real issues with lazy government people who are gauranteed a salary every two weeks whether they work or do nothing. Those same employees somehow can never get fired. It makes me sick. Signed, 21 years at the NYCPD and 6 in the USMC

Old 04-28-2007, 08:22 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,932 times
Thank you all for your respones. It's looks like if it came down to these 2 it's anyones game for NY!?

Old 04-28-2007, 08:44 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen NY View Post
Peter B you are way off base brother. Guilianni was very popular in NYC. He made governement effective and he made government agencies work. He always made decisions in the interest of his city, not the union. Sure the police unions bashed him for not paying them, but that is not every thing. He turned that city around. If you ever worked or lived under Dinkins you would know what I'm talking about. He is the first politician I have ever seen, who is not afraid to take the bull by the horns and make GOVERNMENT WORK. I have some real issues with lazy government people who are gauranteed a salary every two weeks whether they work or do nothing. Those same employees somehow can never get fired. It makes me sick. Signed, 21 years at the NYCPD and 6 in the USMC
2 words for you , Bernard Kerik
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City