Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:27 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times

Advertisements

What does everyone think the quickest time it would be from Manhattan (Gramercy) to the Bronx Zoo? Would subway or the express bus be quicker? I'm thinking about an hour? I tried Hop Stop, but it won't give me directions or time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
What does everyone think the quickest time it would be from Manhattan (Gramercy) to the Bronx Zoo? Would subway or the express bus be quicker? I'm thinking about an hour? I tried Hop Stop, but it won't give me directions or time.
Are you using it right? You can just click your departure and arrival locations and then it will definitely tell you the times of each and what will get you where.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:56 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I think that the express bus, BxM11 is going to be the fastest route to the zoo, since it stops at the River gate. You could take Metro-North from Grand Centeral as well, though you'd need to factor in time to/from the train stations, which might not be as quick as the express bus. The subway would be a bit longer, unless you take the 2/5 lines and use the Asia gate.

Here are directions from the zoo's website: Bronx Zoo Directions

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-26-2009 at 11:05 PM..

Old 08-27-2009, 05:16 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Thanks, BMWGuy... I didn't even think to look at the zoo's directions

I think the express bus is the way to go!

Thanks again!!

Old 08-27-2009, 09:25 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
From Gramercy Park, you could walk over to 7 Avenue and catch the #2, which will drop you off at the Zoo's front gate. (I'm always surprised at the number of people who run for that express bus; let me know if it gets you to The Bronx faster than the subway--I don't believe it will!)

Old 08-27-2009, 11:00 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
From Gramercy Park, you could walk over to 7 Avenue and catch the #2, which will drop you off at the Zoo's front gate. (I'm always surprised at the number of people who run for that express bus; let me know if it gets you to The Bronx faster than the subway--I don't believe it will!)
I am with Fred on this one for sure.The 2 and the 5 are my trains for Pelham Parkway and the BxM11 is my express bus ,except I hardly ever take it because it is so much longer ! In my experience,the subway is usually 35 mins to midtown and the bus 50 mins to an hour. The 2 and the 5 both go the various zoo entrances.

And Fred, I think a lot of people go for the Express bus because they are afraid of going through Harlem and the South Bronx
on the subway.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:01 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
And Fred, I think a lot of people go for the Express bus because they are afraid of going through Harlem and the South Bronx on the subway.
Funny how words affect people, isn't it? Some years ago, I was with a friend heading up to Yankee Stadium (Yours Truly is NOT a Yankee fan; someone had provided us with the tickets), and when our #4 train stopped at 125 Street, I asked my friend if he knew where we were. The moment I uttered the word "Harlem," he turned white as a ghost; I actually thought he was going to faint right there on the train! He was perfectly OK until I spoke that word.

The operative phrase, which of course all New Yorkers know, is, waddaya gonna do?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Funny how words affect people, isn't it? Some years ago, I was with a friend heading up to Yankee Stadium (Yours Truly is NOT a Yankee fan; someone had provided us with the tickets), and when our #4 train stopped at 125 Street, I asked my friend if he knew where we were. The moment I uttered the word "Harlem," he turned white as a ghost; I actually thought he was going to faint right there on the train! He was perfectly OK until I spoke that word.

The operative phrase, which of course all New Yorkers know, is, waddaya gonna do?
He wasn't already scared that he was going to the South Bronx?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:12 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
People really need to get over that already. It's 2009 for Pete's sake.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
People really need to get over that already. It's 2009 for Pete's sake.
The problem is that the people who think like this will NEVER go to those parts of the city... so really, what's going to make them get over it? If they're so scared, and not willing to go into those areas to see that they're not a walking a death trap.. what can really change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City