Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:21 PM

7 posts, read 32,593 times

Advertisements

I have read through some threads here, and I'd like to explain my situation and ask for some opinions on neighborhoods.

I am a 25 year old female from New Jersey. I'm looking to move to Manhattan this fall. I would describe myself as preppy, innocent, and conservative. I am generally interested in an area that has many people close in age to me and nightlife where I can just walk a few blocks and have tons of people in my age range hanging out at a strip of bars. (Not interested in clubs) I have read/heard that downtown areas like Soho and the Village are great for bars, shopping, restaurants, etc. However, I am not whatsoever into the art or music or any "hip" scenes. Are the majority of people downtown more artsy? I am just not sure if I would fit in there...

Going by that stereotype, I am more looking in the Upper East Side, Murray Hill, or Gramercy. Out of those three areas, which would most be the environment be what I am looking for? People at my office live in UES so I have asked them a little about it, but I know nothing about MH or Gramercy. I should also add that being by the 6 train is most convenient for my work, another reason I am concentrating on those areas. Also, what are some of the important differences between those areas?

Additionally, I have absolutely no friends in the city. Are any areas better/worse for meeting people?

Finally, are there any resources for finding roommates besides Craigslist? Since I don't know anyone in NYC, I'd like to live with others just for the occasional socialization (not expecting best friends)

I'd appreciate any input!

Last edited by nycroom; 09-16-2009 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: lots of typos...I'm tired!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,422 times
hello nycroom,

i am also looking to move into a place ASAP in those areas. I'm dealing with a relator right now. MH will probably be the area with the most people our age range (im also 25). their are many bars and resturants to go to. What are you looking for in an apartment besides being near the 6 train?

craig

Old 09-16-2009, 10:35 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,760 times
Look around 2nd ave and 52nd street. There are a lot of bars in that area that cater to what your looking for. That area is expensive though.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:58 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
What is your rent budget?

Old 09-17-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
What is your rent budget?
I would say up to $1250/month, not including utilities. In total, like to stay below $1400/month. Of course, cheaper is always better

To answer another question, I am not sure I even know enough about apartments to know what I'm looking for. I would only want a walk-up below 4 floors. I'd like a common area. No lofted bed. Prefer a doorman (but I know that's when it gets really expensive). Non-smoking, non-drug using roommates. I think because I don't know much, I'd like to avoid signing a year long lease. I'd sign a lease or make arrangements to stay somewhere for up to 6 months. I just want to not be locked into a year somewhere I have no familiarity with.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:50 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycroom View Post
I would say up to $1250/month, not including utilities. In total, like to stay below $1400/month. Of course, cheaper is always better

To answer another question, I am not sure I even know enough about apartments to know what I'm looking for. I would only want a walk-up below 4 floors. I'd like a common area. No lofted bed. Prefer a doorman (but I know that's when it gets really expensive). Non-smoking, non-drug using roommates. I think because I don't know much, I'd like to avoid signing a year long lease. I'd sign a lease or make arrangements to stay somewhere for up to 6 months. I just want to not be locked into a year somewhere I have no familiarity with.

Walk-ups don't have doormen. You're going to have a hard time finding a roommate situation without signing a lease. Usually it's the financial contributions of all the leaseholders that ensure the landlord that the rent will get paid. Six month leases are not common. With that budget you're going to HAVE to go with roommates, because that's not going to get you anything in Manhattan without roommates.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:28 AM

227 posts, read 821,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycroom View Post

Look on craigslist. You probably have to go on the high-end, but there are a lot of $1500 or less studios available.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 AM

No, I definitely want roommmates

Old 09-17-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Walk-ups don't have doormen.
Whoops, I realize my original statement was unclear. I don't care if it's a walk-up or not. I actually do not really want a walk-up, but if I had to, I'd want it under 4 floors. I'd more prefer an elevator building, especially with a doorman.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:08 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,844 times
hey me too, i'm a 26 yr. old male moving to NYC in a month's time, looking to live with room mates...i think upper east side, east village in manhattan are good, and williamsburg in brooklyn is good too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City