Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:10 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,634,126 times

Advertisements

Anyone else still without cable after the digital conversion? I got a digital antenna and converter box but still don't get channels 11 and 7. My guilty pleasure was America's Next Top Model on 11 so it's a bummer. Does anyone else get these channels without cable? Has anyone decided to get cable because of the conversion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 07:31 AM

316 posts, read 990,016 times
Is the antenna on your roof?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:50 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,063,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Anyone else still without cable after the digital conversion? I got a digital antenna and converter box but still don't get channels 11 and 7. My guilty pleasure was America's Next Top Model on 11 so it's a bummer. Does anyone else get these channels without cable? Has anyone decided to get cable because of the conversion?
I have one of those boxes on one of my tv's and it is either hit or miss, great crystal clear picture or nothing but a black screen. You have to rescan after you adjust your antenna every time. Channels 7,11,13 give me the most problems, it's very frustrating to say the least.

Just because you have an outdoor antenna doesn't mean you are going to get every channel. Other factors are involved such as tall buildngs, trees, etc.

If you don't want to go the cable/sat tv route then I suggest buying a new tv with a digital tuner. What brand is your dtv converter? some are better then others.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:41 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I have one of those boxes on one of my tv's and it is either hit or miss, great crystal clear picture or nothing but a black screen. You have to rescan after you adjust your antenna every time. Channels 7,11,13 give me the most problems, it's very frustrating to say the least.

Just because you have an outdoor antenna doesn't mean you are going to get every channel. Other factors are involved such as tall buildngs, trees, etc.

If you don't want to go the cable/sat tv route then I suggest buying a new tv with a digital tuner. What brand is your dtv converter? some are better then others.
I don't have cable TV and I have rescanned several times with the digital converter box. I still can't get channels 7, 11 & 13. (I have an indoor antenna only.) I don't have the budget to buy a new TV.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:45 AM

236 posts, read 390,148 times
Damn I hate that digital converter. I bought a new tv, but I still have one old one. You have to plug it out, move the atenna and then Rescan. But, getting channel 7 on that thing is like getting water in hell. Good luck! I never bother with the old tv anymore because it is just to frustrating!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,634,126 times
My antenna's not on the roof, don't know how much that would help. I'd hate to pay someone to hook up a rooftop antenna and find myself in the same situation. I guess eventually we'll get a new TV with a digital tuner. Vantastic, do you get all the channels with the new television? Ours is an Apex converter box. Haven't figured out any way to use the VCR without unplugging the converter box either. It's a pain.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:11 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,063,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
My antenna's not on the roof, don't know how much that would help. I'd hate to pay someone to hook up a rooftop antenna and find myself in the same situation. I guess eventually we'll get a new TV with a digital tuner. Vantastic, do you get all the channels with the new television? Ours is an Apex converter box. Haven't figured out any way to use the VCR without unplugging the converter box either. It's a pain.
My dtv converter box is digital stream, bought it at Radio Shack, at that time those were the only ones they had in the store. I didn't buy a new TV set but it looks like I may just have to do that.

Keep in mind that each TV station has different signal strengths.

Is yours Apex DT250? CNET wrote a review on that box.

"The Apex DT250 DTV converter box is packed with features and puts out a nice picture, but it doesn't pull in as many stations as competing boxes."

This link will let you know how far away you are from the tv station transmitter. It will give you reception options.

Address (http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx - broken link)

Old 09-21-2009, 11:40 AM

19 posts, read 58,476 times
The channels you get will also depend on the quality of the indoor antenna you use. I bought one of these a few weeks back, and can get up to 50 channels depending on how I align the elements (including all channels from 2-13): Terk Technologies | HDTVA Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna | HDTVA. Unfortunately, it is quite bulky so I generally tuck it against the wall, which means I lose 20 or so of the higher-numbered ones that I don't ever watch anyway.

I am, however, fortunate in that I live in a south-facing apt on the UWS and have about 100ft of clear air outside my window before my sightline is blocked by the next building. I suspect this helps a great deal when it comes to reception.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:37 PM

316 posts, read 990,016 times
Look at post #8 in this link GH for UHF (Plans, Parts Lists, Build Tips by 300ohm) - Digital Forum.
This is the BEST digital antenna I have found. Very easy to build (not commercially available). I live on Long Island and it is about a million times better than any indoor antenna you will find. Your antenna really needs to be on the roof for best results (especially in Gotham).

Old 09-21-2009, 12:46 PM

43,682 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boan View Post
Look at post #8 in this link GH for UHF (Plans, Parts Lists, Build Tips by 300ohm) - Digital Forum.
This is the BEST digital antenna I have found. Very easy to build (not commercially available). I live on Long Island and it is about a million times better than any indoor antenna you will find. Your antenna really needs to be on the roof for best results (especially in Gotham).
Well living in an apt. building doesn't give one the option of putting an antenna on the roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City