Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 12:42 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times

Advertisements

A 500 square foot studio is HUGE - bigger than some apartments.

And 500K for an apartment won't buy you much in Manhattan in an area good for schools. You might want to seriously consider Brooklyn. I do believe you're going to need to make some compromises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 02:44 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
You could try looking in Beacon, NY. I don't know about schools there, but a few years ago artists were moving up there for more affordable housing. This was around the time the new DIA Beacon opened. Haven't heard so much about it lately, but there must be some community of artists there.

Somewhere there's a compromise waiting for you - and it may mean you deal with a longer commute or your wife deals with a smaller studio space - or just a drawing table at home and a membership to the Lower East Side Printshop, the Manhattan Graphics Center or the Bob Blackburn Printmaking Workshop at the EFA.

For live/work prices in Brooklyn and Queens, you could have a look at the website aptsandlofts. $500K in Long Island City or East Williamsburg gets you about 700-950 sq feet.

Last edited by Henna; 09-26-2009 at 02:57 PM..

Old 09-27-2009, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 12,425 times
Thanks again. I feel like I've got some good directions to explore now.

And I agree that 500 square feet for a studio is still quite big. I spoke a bit more with my wife and she agreed that she could probably get by with an even smaller space - 300-350 would still be workable - maybe less if we got rid of some of the junk I've been storing down there.

We understand that our budget and requirements pretty much rule out Manhattan. Brooklyn has been our primary target all along. I have an old friend who lives in Fort Green and it would be nice to be close enough to meet him for a drink after work from time to time.

We'll definitely take a look at Beacon - as well as LIC and the Bronx. Thanks.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:43 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
As everybody has been saying, the space that your looking for is gonna be tough to come by in NYC, especially anywhere that has a good reputation. NYC is tiiiight when it comes to space. Its just not that kind of place. I saw you mentioned Red Hook. They may have fixed a few things up but they still have some serious project housing over there thats not coming down anytime soon, and you probably won't be very far away.
New Jersey or Conn. may be a better option or and I dont mean those areas of NJ right across the river from NYC (Jersey City, Newark, Trenton) Im talking south jersey or Northern New Jersey. You can find more space in those areas

As far as schools, private may be your only option. I say this as somone who taught HS in 2 sketchy areas of NYC. If you live in a nice neighborhood you can probably get your kid into a nice elementary school, but to be honest with with you, most NYC middle and High Schools are gladiator academies so you may wanna start prepping your little one now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City