Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 03:33 AM

106,677 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

we have a 2nd home a few towns over in lake wallenpaupack and i can tell you its nooo life doing that commute, especially in winter....

anyone can do and endure anything when the novelty of the home is new but long term to put in daily almost as much time in traveling as you do on the job at least for me would make one miserable life that wipes out any good living there would have for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 05:53 AM

to be honest it was probley a mistake not checking the area out for employment oppertunities in advance of buying... except for tourisium there really isnt much decent paying work any where in the area.

we are chomping at the bit to retire early and leave bayside queens for full time life in that area of pa but until we are ready to not need a full time income its on hold.....

we will probley start a small real estate photography business when we go but its more a hobbie then an income.....

im in the industrial electrical supply business here in nyc and even with 35 years in the field and engineering ability i can still only get 1/3 the salary in nepa and thats if i can even find a job.

we do the commute every other weekend to the house and its no fun,especially in the winter... more ofton then not we get there once a month in the winter because of all the ice and snow... this year has been horrible for ice storms.... i-84 can be horrendous in the winter and its closed ofton.

travel time from queens to our house via car is 2-1/2 hours in normal traffic and 2 hours if we leave at 4:00 am and breeze right thru. the summer can run as much as 3 hours depending on traffic ..we are 2 short exits passed dingmans ferry on i-84

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-14-2009 at 06:03 AM..

Old 02-14-2009, 06:16 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Since this thread was started 2 years ago I think it is safe to assume that OP is divorced by now.She had already bought the house and could not have possibly survived such a torturous life of commuting.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:23 AM

OMG i didnt even notice that ha ha ha ..... i would love to know though how it worked out for them....

tooooo funny, never looked at the date....

Old 02-14-2009, 06:49 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
OMG i didnt even notice that ha ha ha ..... i would love to know though how it worked out for them....

tooooo funny, never looked at the date....
I know. I would like to know what he was going to be doing.Sounds like he insisted on the PA location but how far was he going to commute?

There is a teacher in my school who lives in PA and she and her husband both commute to the city every day....IN SEPARATE CARS!!! They go on and on about the taxes. They "save" around $ 8,000 a year in taxes and spend about $20,000 a year on gas and at least 4 hours a day in their cars.

It is too strange to believe.

Oh,and I almost forgot... they spend a lot of evenings in the city too because there is nothing to do( it is boring) where they "live."

Luckily,there are no children involved.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 5,228 times
wondered about the college advisors need , but remember metro north at half the distance was 35 dollars a day, and that 14 years back.. while a cheap flop in the city was 50 bucks...perhaps you might leave chicken farming to the locals...

Old 06-05-2011, 05:11 PM

cant all flee the city for cheaper housing, nor california....seem associativess drives expenses which some demand more pays to keep up with DD them all.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:14 PM

and you cant open the Dingmans Ferry University yourself anyway..? specialize in wood chuck..?

Old 06-09-2011, 06:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzer View Post
mead,

I didn't have much of a choice, and we've already purchased a home. I could not convince my husband that commute costs (financial and stress level) would exceed higher real estate costs, taxes, and lack of acreage if we moved to NY, NJ or CT vs rural PA. It's a beautiful town (DF) and we found a great home.

Yes - I would rather live closer to the city - I lean toward city, or suburbs on the perimeter.

At this point I'm trying to figure out if I can do this commute via public transportation in an hour and a half.
I'm originally a Pennsylvanian and that area of the Poconos is indeed quite beautiful, and CHEAP.
But the commute will kill you. The NJ transit train from Port Jervis to Penn Station is almost 2 1/2 hours and add time getting to and from the stations and a monthly pass is $418 plus probably a subway pass for $104.
The Short Line bus claims 2 hours to Port Authority but I'm sure they are ignoring the inevitable traffic hangups.

So door to door you are probably talking 3+ hours each way, perhpas even 3++. That's eat-a-bullet type living unless you can keep it down to 2 trips a week or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City