Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:05 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,761 times

Advertisements

Just curious...it is common knowledge that the Giants in football hold a big edge over the Jets in terms of popularity.....larger than the Yanks to Mets gap.

Why is it though the Jets are the big football story in New York this year while the Giants, coming off a 12-4 year, coming off a Super Bowl, and four straight playoff appearances, are on the back burner?

This is not just a one year thing, it seems that despite the history, tradition, and better popularity the Jets get mentioned more in the news, more on sports radio, and when they win it is a bigger deal.

The Jets had only 75,000 not the 78,000 capacity at the game last week and tickets to the Pats game were available the same week.
The Jets are having a much harder time selling PSLs than the Giants.

So why is it that the Jets, be it in 1998 with Parcells, 2006 with Mangini, or now with Sanchez, appear to be the bigger buzz in the media?

I was driving through NY this week on the cross bronx and saw a Jets helmet.

I just don't get it...the Giants are the primary team popularity wise and have the winning and tradition....what gives?

Are the Giants just not that big a deal and not as popular, big a gap as believed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 07:03 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
As a Jets fan, I must say that I don't commiserate with you much.

But to answer your question, the Jets (often the underdog team) look to have turned things around in a big way, and it's just a case of the media jumping on that. If you added up all the Jet and Giant fans in the metropolitan area, I suspect the numbers would be similar. Neither team has a real edge in fan base, although the Giants have a definite edge when it comes to media coverage. Unless the Jets go to the playoffs, the current phenomenon is pretty much a bump in the road.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:14 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thruway View Post
Just curious...it is common knowledge that the Giants in football hold a big edge over the Jets in terms of popularity.....larger than the Yanks to Mets gap.

Why is it though the Jets are the big football story in New York this year while the Giants, coming off a 12-4 year, coming off a Super Bowl, and four straight playoff appearances, are on the back burner?

This is not just a one year thing, it seems that despite the history, tradition, and better popularity the Jets get mentioned more in the news, more on sports radio, and when they win it is a bigger deal.

The Jets had only 75,000 not the 78,000 capacity at the game last week and tickets to the Pats game were available the same week.
The Jets are having a much harder time selling PSLs than the Giants.

So why is it that the Jets, be it in 1998 with Parcells, 2006 with Mangini, or now with Sanchez, appear to be the bigger buzz in the media?

I was driving through NY this week on the cross bronx and saw a Jets helmet.

I just don't get it...the Giants are the primary team popularity wise and have the winning and tradition....what gives?

Are the Giants just not that big a deal and not as popular, big a gap as believed?
LOL. As I was driving to NYC from VA. I saw a lot of people wearing Jets jersey's too in the NJ Turnpike. However I have to disagree when you state that the NY Giants are not as popular as the NY Jets in NY. When I went to The Bronx. I saw many people wearing NY Giants hats or jackets. So there are plenty of NY Giants fans in NY still.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:26 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Well the Giants to put it bluntly have always been sort of a vanilla franchise. Except for the LT days where they pretty much let him run wild and the recent Plaxico issues you'd be hard pressed to find anything too sexy or controversial about the Giants. The Jets at the moment are the much juicier story to the press. They have a rookie QB who could become a sex symbol, they have Rex Ryan at head coach who never lacks for a controversial quote. Giants comparatively have the steady and reliable but dorky Eli Manning at QB and tight-lipped Tom Coughlin at head coach. In terms of respect from the media and general coverage though, the NYC area is Giants first, Jets second, much in the same way its Yankees first, Mets second in baseball.

In NYC proper and Long Island there are a lot more Jets fans than people realize. Historically they haven't had as much to cheer about but they are there. There are also a lot of people that support both teams but maybe lean one way more than the other. I for instance am a Jets fan but I do support and follow the Giants as well. You have to remember the majority of native people in NYC are generally passive about other sports outside of baseball.

I'm very excited about this team and the future. I don't want to get ahead of myself (knock on wood) but I feel the Jets have the very early makings (not this year but sooner than later) of a super bowl team.

J!

E!

T!

S!

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 10-03-2009 at 09:48 AM..

Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Thumbs up to all of the posters before me who are J E T S
JETS! JETS! JETS! fans. I have been a Jets fan since the days when they used to play at Shea Stadium. Us Jets fans have endured many heart breakers throughout the years.

The Rich Kotite era was the worst, his record as coach of the Jets? 4-28. But I always wore my Jets cap no matter what.

The Giants(1925) have been around longer then the Jets(1960),hence the bigger fan base.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 AM

922 posts, read 3,861,784 times
+1 for everything NooYowkur81 said, plus the Giants, starting last season as Superbowl champs, had nowhere to go but down.

Also, the Jets are getting a lot of attention this year because they are exceeding expectations with a 3-0 record and a rookie quarterback. They also finished last year with a better record than expected. Everyone loves a Cinderella story.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:44 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,525 times
and everyone loves a coach who gives good quotes like rex ryan. it's similar to jerry manuel when he first took over the mets.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:22 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
i am patiently waiting for a giants-jets superbowl......i thoguht the subway series was the most magical event in NYC sports history...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-03-2009, 07:44 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i am patiently waiting for a giants-jets superbowl......i thoguht the subway series was the most magical event in NYC sports history...
Not only because it would be magical, but let's face it: the rest of the country lives in fear of such a thing! A Jets-Giants Super Bowl...nothing everyone else would hate more.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:07 AM

451 posts, read 695,289 times
There are easily more Giants than Jets fans, but I think down the road that gap could close.

Today id say its anywhere from 60/40 Giants/Jets or 70/30 Giants/Jets, and this includes Upstate and Downstate.

Also, generally the Yankees and Giants go hand in hand, and the Mets and Jets, although not exclusively. Id just say thats the most common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City