Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:36 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,922 times

Advertisements

just wanna say i've never lived in the ev, but if friends wanted to hang out there, i'd go along. i'm not sure if you only wanted to hear from people who actually lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 10,662 times
Default Ev 1990 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Hello all, I moved to my first NYC apartment in November of 1991. It was on East 13th Street between 1st & 2nd Aves. Just wondering if anyone has memories of that area from that time they care to share. So much has changed since then! I remember Dan Lynch Blues Bar & Nightingales on 2nd Ave, the creepy scary bar further down on 2nd that became Dick's gay bar, Downtown Beirut on 1st Ave. Also crack vials everywhere on the sidewalk, the crack house on 13th near 3rd Ave that was on the cover of the NY Post...not a great time in NYC history obviously! I remember always getting extremely scared whenever I ventured into Alphabet City, which wasn't often, and frequent walks down to Tower Records to listen to CDs. Anyway, just reminiscing, curious to hear from others who were in that area back then.
That 'creepy scary bar' on 2nd Avenue (at 12th Street) was known as The Dragon (although I don't think it was posted anywhere). It was owned by the same Chinese couple that owned Nightbirds (further down 2nd Ave at like 5th Street) and the Nightingale. My friends and I were too young to get into the clubs so we used to bring our turntables and speakers in there, dump them on the pool table and turn out the first dance parties in bars in EV. Underage NYU drinking at it's best! That was like 90-91 ...

If you think Alphabet City was scary, I lived on Clinton Street back then. It was REAL sketchy. But it was my home, and we all knew what to look for and what to expect. We took pride in the danger. My boys lived on 13th Street between A & B ... also pretty dodgy back then. We were all over the EV - King Tut's, The Aztec, Alcatraz (with a DJ booth that was a jail cell), The Pyramid (which was a punk and new wave bar then).

We drank $1 frosted mugs at the Dug Out on 3rd Avenue, staggered down St. Marks past emaciated junkies fresh from 12 steps chain smoking cigarettes and reminiscing about the Electric Circus in front the NA Center, checked out records at Sounds and then around the corner at Free Being, shot pool at the Blue & Gold, checked Mona's for punk chics, talked our way into Save The Robots and lost our minds until grabbing breakfast at Kiev at 5:am, then meandered back and checked out the hookers and the sunrise from that 13th Street rooftop.

It was a rich life!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:27 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loisaida View Post
That 'creepy scary bar' on 2nd Avenue (at 12th Street) was known as The Dragon (although I don't think it was posted anywhere). It was owned by the same Chinese couple that owned Nightbirds (further down 2nd Ave at like 5th Street) and the Nightingale. My friends and I were too young to get into the clubs so we used to bring our turntables and speakers in there, dump them on the pool table and turn out the first dance parties in bars in EV. Underage NYU drinking at it's best! That was like 90-91 ...

If you think Alphabet City was scary, I lived on Clinton Street back then. It was REAL sketchy. But it was my home, and we all knew what to look for and what to expect. We took pride in the danger. My boys lived on 13th Street between A & B ... also pretty dodgy back then. We were all over the EV - King Tut's, The Aztec, Alcatraz (with a DJ booth that was a jail cell), The Pyramid (which was a punk and new wave bar then).

We drank $1 frosted mugs at the Dug Out on 3rd Avenue, staggered down St. Marks past emaciated junkies fresh from 12 steps chain smoking cigarettes and reminiscing about the Electric Circus in front the NA Center, checked out records at Sounds and then around the corner at Free Being, shot pool at the Blue & Gold, checked Mona's for punk chics, talked our way into Save The Robots and lost our minds until grabbing breakfast at Kiev at 5:am, then meandered back and checked out the hookers and the sunrise from that 13th Street rooftop.

It was a rich life!
Blue n Gold is hipster paradise now....I was there a few months ago

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 10,806 times
Hi, I moved to NYC in 1987 and got a place on 13th by first ave (between 1st and second) in early 1988. The lock on the front door of my building was constantly broken by the crack addicts who swarmed around in front of the building. Quite a sight--people of all sorts losing control of their lives. I went to Alcatraz quite a few times over the years but can barely remember it. Was it on the south side of saint marks, right on A? Did it have windows that opening onto the park? I know I hung out at Downtown Beirut too.

I basically went to all the bars but didn't hang out at just one. Remember the "Horseshoe Bar" (?) on B and 7th? Remember Life Cafe on 10th and B? That was really cool. That was one of the first places I went to after moving to New York. Remember the REAL biker's bar on B and either 9th or 10th? I remember going there for a drink with a friend when all the bikers were away on a long, holiday weekend drive (July 4th).

Max's Fish (?) was truly cool then. I remember this guy I had dated (slept with--it was the 80's!) walking in with a cat on his shoulder. They used to have pretty fun poetry readings too; one time I slapped (!) this guy because he was making fun of a previous poet's work. It was quite a reading!

This was also when Mars Bar was truly punk. Bridge and Tunnel people weren't coming into the East Village so much, nor were tourists or touristy frat students. It was like New Yorkers, artists, and open-minded curious cats from all over the place who did not want to impose their idea of how things should be.

2A was a pretty cool place back then too, kinda' edgy. They put a restaurant on the second floor at this time. The Garage (2nd and B) was still hosting some really neat events at this time. It was across the street from an amazingly active crack corner (southwest corner of 2 and b). I also managed to catch an evening at Save the Robots, in a basement right there at 2 and B. That was a really fun scene--lots of queens and lots of coke, being done right out in the open. Fun.

I eventually (1990) moved to a place on 6th between C and D. Used to see Sonic Youth members all the time at 6th and B (had studio there?). I was too cool to be impressed :>{ .

I used to work at Rose's Vintage on 9th street. That was a great experience. I met so many interesting people and became, if only for a little while, a part of that neighborhood right there.

I have so many great memories, like walking down A during one of the riots in the park and seeing a bottle whiz by my brother's head...

There is a book of East Village art from the 80's produced to document a great art show. Check it out. So nice to share!

Old 04-28-2011, 02:40 PM

531 posts, read 2,898,745 times
HA, I lived on that same block, but moved in in '91. I lived at 335 E. 13th St. Remember the "bodega" on that block? They never actually sold anything on the shelves as it was a front for drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieDoo View Post
Hi, I moved to NYC in 1987 and got a place on 13th by first ave (between 1st and second) in early 1988. The lock on the front door of my building was constantly broken by the crack addicts who swarmed around in front of the building. Quite a sight--people of all sorts losing control of their lives. I went to Alcatraz quite a few times over the years but can barely remember it. Was it on the south side of saint marks, right on A? Did it have windows that opening onto the park? I know I hung out at Downtown Beirut too.

I basically went to all the bars but didn't hang out at just one. Remember the "Horseshoe Bar" (?) on B and 7th? Remember Life Cafe on 10th and B? That was really cool. That was one of the first places I went to after moving to New York. Remember the REAL biker's bar on B and either 9th or 10th? I remember going there for a drink with a friend when all the bikers were away on a long, holiday weekend drive (July 4th).

Max's Fish (?) was truly cool then. I remember this guy I had dated (slept with--it was the 80's!) walking in with a cat on his shoulder. They used to have pretty fun poetry readings too; one time I slapped (!) this guy because he was making fun of a previous poet's work. It was quite a reading!

This was also when Mars Bar was truly punk. Bridge and Tunnel people weren't coming into the East Village so much, nor were tourists or touristy frat students. It was like New Yorkers, artists, and open-minded curious cats from all over the place who did not want to impose their idea of how things should be.

2A was a pretty cool place back then too, kinda' edgy. They put a restaurant on the second floor at this time. The Garage (2nd and B) was still hosting some really neat events at this time. It was across the street from an amazingly active crack corner (southwest corner of 2 and b). I also managed to catch an evening at Save the Robots, in a basement right there at 2 and B. That was a really fun scene--lots of queens and lots of coke, being done right out in the open. Fun.

I eventually (1990) moved to a place on 6th between C and D. Used to see Sonic Youth members all the time at 6th and B (had studio there?). I was too cool to be impressed :>{ .

I used to work at Rose's Vintage on 9th street. That was a great experience. I met so many interesting people and became, if only for a little while, a part of that neighborhood right there.

I have so many great memories, like walking down A during one of the riots in the park and seeing a bottle whiz by my brother's head...

There is a book of East Village art from the 80's produced to document a great art show. Check it out. So nice to share!

Old 09-12-2011, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 20,683 times
Default Aztec Lounge...Scary but Cool

In 1985, when I lived briefly in the East Village at St. Mark's and 1st Ave., the Aztec Lounge was a half-block down the street, toward Tompkins Square Park.
It was dark and scary. Skinheads hung out on the street outside. Heroin addicts inside sipped cokes.
The skeletons on the wall were jarring.
I once took a nice girl there for a date. She turned white and never spoke to me again. Ha! Ha!
I once went inside during the early evening after work...wearing a suit and tie...and they wouldn't serve me.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 20,683 times
Does anyone remember the homeless couple "Liz and Ronnie" who used to hang out on the corner of St. Mark's and 1st Avenue? She was a scraggly blonde and he was gaunt rastafarian who used to ride a bike.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:14 PM

4 posts, read 15,386 times
Used to hang out in Thompkins Square, at Aztec Lounge, up and down St.Marks Place,in the 80s. Left the scene in '88. does anyone remember a squatter named Starchild? his birth name was Bruce, and he was from Worcester,MA,though actually born in Wales (came to US as a baby)

Old 05-31-2012, 07:58 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,810,296 times
I spent those years at Save the Robots
Ahhh.... memories!

Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Hello all, I moved to my first NYC apartment in November of 1991. It was on East 13th Street between 1st & 2nd Aves. Just wondering if anyone has memories of that area from that time they care to share. So much has changed since then! I remember Dan Lynch Blues Bar & Nightingales on 2nd Ave, the creepy scary bar further down on 2nd that became Dick's gay bar, Downtown Beirut on 1st Ave. Also crack vials everywhere on the sidewalk, the crack house on 13th near 3rd Ave that was on the cover of the NY Post...not a great time in NYC history obviously! I remember always getting extremely scared whenever I ventured into Alphabet City, which wasn't often, and frequent walks down to Tower Records to listen to CDs. Anyway, just reminiscing, curious to hear from others who were in that area back then.
Holy crap! I know this is an old post, but I lived on the block at the exact same time as you.

I remember when that place became Dick's, and in fact I went there once I played a perfect pool game for the one and only time in my life. Downtown Beirty, Dan Lynch, all of the crack. Yes I remember!

I forget my building number, but in front of it stood an elderly man always wearing a postal uniform.

I was a door or two down from Cheese Sticks, which stunk to high heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City