Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:47 PM

16 posts, read 46,330 times

Advertisements

Me & 3 friends are going to being traveling to NY for New Years. We will be driving from Cleveland to our hotel which is in Astoria Queen by Laguardia Airport & will be there from Dec 30th to Jan 2nd.

Hotels in Manhatton were crazy expensive so we are 4 miles from times square where we have booked. Any tips, advice, considerations from the locals here?
I am getting ready to start law school this summer/fall 2010 and as soon as I graduate or transfer I am moving to NYC asap. So I am looking forward to this being the start of many frequent trips hopefully!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 09:09 PM

745 posts, read 1,438,472 times
Times Square is a reasonable subway ride from Astoria. the N/R or W train will do the trick. Seems like your hotel might be near LaGuardia Airport though which is not really Astoria. Might need to do cab or bus from there I think.... not 100% sure, but you might want to distinguish specifically where the hotel is.

As far as advise if you are planning to do Times Square. Get there EARLY. dress warm. Get ready to be outside in a massive crowd for a long time. Worth doing ONCE!

Old 11-06-2009, 11:39 AM

218 posts, read 741,595 times
I think it should be mentioned, for those who have never been to NYC for NYE before, that if your are planning to spend the event in Times Square, there are a couple things you should know...

One, bring something to sit on!!! Seriously, I cannot emphasize this enough... bring a small fold-up stool/seat to sit on, or else you WILL be standing for the whole wait up to the event, and you WILL be standing so close to the next person that you will feel like a sardine.

Two, get there EARLY, and I mean early. I arrived at 4:30pm, and by 6:30, it was extremely crowded, and only got worse from there. The reason I say this, and for you to bring something to sit on, is because once you are in Times Square, after a certain point, the NYPD give you two options... you can stay where you are until the end, or you can leave. But if you leave, the NYPD will not let you back in at all.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:14 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
How do people go to the bathroom when they are sandwiched in like that? Are there port-a-potties? Can you reclaim your space one you leave for the potty?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:49 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTTuP View Post
Me & 3 friends are going to being traveling to NY for New Years. We will be driving from Cleveland to our hotel which is in Astoria Queen by Laguardia Airport & will be there from Dec 30th to Jan 2nd.

Hotels in Manhatton were crazy expensive so we are 4 miles from times square where we have booked. Any tips, advice, considerations from the locals here?
I am getting ready to start law school this summer/fall 2010 and as soon as I graduate or transfer I am moving to NYC asap. So I am looking forward to this being the start of many frequent trips hopefully!
Astoria Queens is only 20 minutes away from Times Square by subway. Are you sure you want to see that ball dropped? Prepare for some dissapointment. Unbelievably crowded, cold and you may not even be anywhere near that ball. Unless you get there really early and stand the entire day waiting and freezing. Well, I guess it's worth trying.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:58 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
How do people go to the bathroom when they are sandwiched in like that? Are there port-a-potties? Can you reclaim your space one you leave for the potty?

Don't eat/drink and you won't have to go. Even if there were porta potties in TS on NYE, would you REALLY want to use one?? (I hope you have good health insurance!) Anyway, once you leave your "box" in TS, the cops will NOT let you back in so you're best just to not eat or drink for several hours before you get there and make sure you "go" before getting there.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:03 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Default I did New Years

Eve 1978-79 and 1988-89, so can you, except that the crowds have gotten worse since NY is now a different beast than back then and everyone wants to go there. God i was never as frightened as i was back in 78(I was surrounded by dopers with pimps hats on). Be sure you are really up to going- back in 88 a woman fainted in the crowd and she had to be whisked away to avoid getting trampled

Old 11-09-2009, 07:31 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Just watch it on TV...honestly, best view of the ball.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:36 PM

213 posts, read 823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Just watch it on TV...honestly, best view of the ball.
That and you can pee/poo/eat anytime you wish in your cozy hotel room with bathrobes on while those who actually attend the event freeze their hungry asses off.

If this were me, ideally, I'd get a hotel room in Times Square and just have a party and invite a whole bunch of people while watching the event both on television and through the window.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:49 PM

30 posts, read 58,403 times
I did this one year, and honestly... if you want to try it once, that's your thing... but take my harsh advice: You're a complete idiot if you willfully put yourself in these situations. You want that million-man-mob atmosphere? Cool. Getting there is ****ing easy, look at a subway map! Enjoying that? Impossible. The last time I subjected myself to such ****e was the Halloween parade of '08, and it took my friend and I two hours to return to Greenpoint from downtown... although there were plenty of awesome people getting wasted on the L train back out to Brooklyn and we're all singing along to Bohemian Rhapsody under the river, and that was something I'll never forget. We should have stayed in Brooklyn, however.

Just be careful, dude... you might rethink where you want to move if you subject yourself to this kind of torture.

Disclaimer: I actually live outside of Queens on LI.

But yeah, enjoy that IF POSSIBLE. Get ready for mobs of people, get ready to lose your friends in confusion, get ready to **** in strange places and risk a citation, etc. If you don't drink, this might not be such a problem - but when I go to an event, I am into enjoying myself, and I'm going to be as drunk as I wish to be - either I or the city will pay the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: