Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:09 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Or they could work their way up at a Big 4 (which, by the way, only hire from elite schools if you are a guy. If you are a hot chick they'll hire you if you can breathe).
You seem to know a lot about this business. Does the comment above mean you think all the women you work with are sexy but stupid? Do they think you're stupid too? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:15 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You seem to know a lot about this business. Does the comment above mean you think all the women you work with are sexy but stupid? Do they think you're stupid too? Just wondering.
I kinda have to agree. My friend was telling me about a girl he interned with who was on the sales teams and she got to go along on all the great projects cuz she had ffake boobs

Old 11-17-2009, 10:15 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
No. This is just a fact with the big 4. If you are at a big 4 you are an auditor. Your job is to gather information from the company you are auditing so you can draw your own conclusions about if their controls suck.

In general, everyone hates auditors. If I'm an accountant, I have to drop what I'm doing, to give some snot nosed brat some information so he/she can write up a report about how my company's internal controls suck?

Of course I'd be more than happy to give it to the hot 22 year old blonde, rather than the nerdy looking girl (even if she has a 140 IQ!)

That's just the way things work. I don't work with these women. Remember, they are auditors, they are the enemy. I just have many friends that work at these firms (big 4) and this is the way it works at these places when it comes to who gets hired and who doesn't.

In an ideal world, I'd have a team of a few really bright guys and a few hot girls. The hot girls do the information gathering, and the guys do the number crunching.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I kinda have to agree. My friend was telling me about a girl he interned with who was on the sales teams and she got to go along on all the great projects cuz she had ffake boobs
Absolutely true. Think about this. I'm a rich client. Most likely I was some math nerd or something like that in school, and now I'm rich and old. Maybe single. Even if I'm married, my wife is probably old anyway. Of course I'll enjoy listening to some hot 23 year old blond pitch me on some crap for 45 minutes rather than some fat dude with a Staten Island accent. And of course, I'll give her my business, so she can continue taking me out to company sponsored dinners.

Man...if you are a guy, you need perfect SAT's, 4.0 from Harvard, etc to get in this business. If you are a girl...all you need to do is look good in heels.

I remember reading a story about some girl from Villanova who got a job I-Banking for Bank of America. Was it her brains? Or the fact that she was a Philadelphia Eagles Cheerleader? hmmm, link below

http://dealbreaker.com/2009/03/hiring-watch-09-bac.php

Old 11-17-2009, 10:32 PM

7 posts, read 14,087 times
so you're saying "as is" (unless I somehow get into princeton etc. and pull good grades) I basically have NO shot of a life in NYC??

Old 11-17-2009, 10:36 PM

Yea you do but you won't be making $$$$$. Maybe you'll be making $. And $ won't get you a Park Ave. apartment, etc. You'll probably have to live in Brooklyn. And the best you could probably pull right now is some sort of staff accounting gig. You'll hate it within 6 months. And once you are in that type of gig, it is very hard to move up into a big $$$$$ producing role - since those roles are mostly reserved for the elite college grads. The days are long gone when someone could "work their way up from the mail room". That was in the 70s-80s, not today.

Let's be honest, the only reason you want to do business is for the money. And unless you go to an elite school or have connections, you'll be making the same amount as any other entry-level position from any other industry (Fashion, Film, Teaching, etc)

Remember, NYC is a very driven culture. We play hard, but we work hard too. And if you want to make it (and I do mean make it) here, stop with the "I'm not smart enough" attitude..

Are you a hot girl? If you are a hot girl please disregard everything I said before.

Last edited by NYCAnalyst; 11-17-2009 at 10:45 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Are you a hot girl? If you are a hot girl please disregard everything I said before.

The only industry that being a hot girl doesn't get u anywere in is fashion lol.

Also,
[SIZE=3]I don’t think I’ve met a guy in finance (which I meet a lot since they always seem to go for the fashion girls) that hasn’t gone to an Ivy League school. If they didn’t go to an ivy league they went to something comparable. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Also do you really want to work all those hours? Its A LOT of hours! Like 80 hours a week! [/SIZE]

Old 11-18-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Also,
[SIZE=3]I don’t think I’ve met a guy in finance (which I meet a lot since they always seem to go for the fashion girls) that hasn’t gone to an Ivy League school. If they didn’t go to an ivy league they went to something comparable. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Also do you really want to work all those hours? Its A LOT of hours! Like 80 hours a week! [/SIZE]
Depending on your department, 80 hrs / week is nothing in Finance...straight out of college alot of IB analysts work 100-120+ hours a week doing mindless MS Excel and Powerpoint work...the hours decrease and pay increase as you move up, but most people are very burnt out by then and quit.

I've heard stories...

-Summer interns at IB departments were up until 11PM doing HW for their internship - on the first day of the job.
-Analysts doing cocaine / speed at work to keep themselves awake on all-nighters
-Analysts who had to break up with their bf / gf because they had no time for them
-I-Banking teams at firms like Goldman Sachs would have their own beds and private showers - in the office! So they could spend more time in the office.
-Analysts in the office during Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, etc. (Watch the first 15 minutes of the movie "The Family Man" with Nicholas Cage as an example. "Why am I here on Christmas Eve when I should be with my kids?" "Well if you stay here today and get this deal done, your Christmas bonus comes with 7 zeroes at the end of it").
-I call my friends to go out - "Not now, if you are still in the city at 12AM, call me and maybe I can go out"
-This one is the kicker, I-Banker was going to propose to his GF at Times Square on a Friday night - The "Will You Marry Me" would run across the scrolling billboard at 11PM. Guy takes her out, has an incredible time. At 10:30 he gets a call on his cell - he needs to go back into his office - client emergency. He heads back to the office, she never sees the proposal. She breaks up with him 2 months later because he doesn't "spends enough time with her"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVs5-mfRB7I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FAnhRuZC4E

Last edited by NYCAnalyst; 11-18-2009 at 08:32 AM..

Old 11-18-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
-This one is the kicker, I-Banker was going to propose to his GF at Times Square on a Friday night - The "Will You Marry Me" would run across the scrolling billboard at 11PM. Guy takes her out, has an incredible time. At 10:30 he gets a call on his cell - he needs to go back into his office - client emergency. He heads back to the office, she never sees the proposal. She breaks up with him 2 months later because he doesn't "spends enough time with her"

[SIZE=3]I can see that happening! I have had so many dates pushed back or cancelled cuz of work. Sometimes it gets to me. But at the same time I never have to worry about him being clingy or not having time for my friends and family. It guess it works out. Plus when we go on dates they are always cute and thoughtful. [/SIZE]

Old 11-18-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
[SIZE=3]I can see that happening! I have had so many dates pushed back or cancelled cuz of work. Sometimes it gets to me. But at the same time I never have to worry about him being clingy or not having time for my friends and family. It guess it works out. Plus when we go on dates they are always cute and thoughtful. [/SIZE]
That's the way it is, yes! But you should really worry about the super hot sales girl (who only works there because of her looks...you know this happens) "working" late nights and weekends with him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: