Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 03:23 PM

12 posts, read 81,927 times

Advertisements

I am looking forward to go back to school. I am 23 years old, and not sure if I will major in Biology or Nursing. I know that I will want to continue to get my bachelors. I read that BCC has an articulation agreement with Marymount to continue a degree in Biology which is great. I am busy working like crazy now to save up enough money to work only part time while in school, so I dont have a lot of time to go visit all the schools and spend enough time to get a good feel for the people. I want to find teachers that are committed,
I want flexibility in the schedule, and I also dont want a school that is mostly filled with much older people, not that it bothers me, but I would love to finally be able to socialize with people my age since ive been out of the loop ever since having my daughter a few years ago.

So if you can help by telling me a little about these schools, that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 04:44 PM

15 posts, read 73,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxChick1230 View Post
I am looking forward to go back to school. I am 23 years old, and not sure if I will major in Biology or Nursing. I know that I will want to continue to get my bachelors. I read that BCC has an articulation agreement with Marymount to continue a degree in Biology which is great. I am busy working like crazy now to save up enough money to work only part time while in school, so I dont have a lot of time to go visit all the schools and spend enough time to get a good feel for the people. I want to find teachers that are committed,
I want flexibility in the schedule, and I also dont want a school that is mostly filled with much older people, not that it bothers me, but I would love to finally be able to socialize with people my age since ive been out of the loop ever since having my daughter a few years ago.

So if you can help by telling me a little about these schools, that would be great.
Well if you want to do nursing LGCC) Laguardia Community College has great nursing program and its closer than BMCC. You can transfer to Hunter and get your bachelors. Theres people of all ages at community colleges and a lot of 20's year olds. LGCC also has flexible schedules for working people (night-time classes/ 3 semester each with 2 sessions) or people with kids. I've seen girls bring their kid to class but they have to be quiet

Old 11-26-2009, 08:17 PM

I hadnt even considered laguardia because its out in queens... but the facilities seem really nice. actually bmcc and laguardia are the exact same distance away from my house, which is 48 minutes. BCC and Hostos are 21 minutes away. Would you travel more to go to laguardia or bmcc or stay in your neighborhood.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:27 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxChick1230 View Post

Why don't you go to Monroe College that is located in The Bronx? Why would you want to go to a school that is more for young people? Most of the younger people are immature and a lot of them do not take school serious. However if that's the type of school that you would like to go, then I respect that.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:39 PM

yea, unfortunately, it doesnt offer my major and its more expensive. thank you though for offering an alternative.
Im young and mature, so i cant possibly be the only one. i dont want to go to school where i just go to class and back. I'd like to socialize with other people of my age.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:55 PM

467 posts, read 1,866,125 times
CUNY schools aren't known for socialization, they're known for bolting to the subway as soon as class lets out. You can make friends if you want to, definitely, but most people, like you, are really busy working every moment they're not in class, and they have friends from outside of school. There are all walks of life at CUNY. I went to Hunter, and in any given class there would be less than a handful of kids under 21, mostly students from 21-27, always a few in their 30s, and then also some older. I found that I wanted to be friends with the older students and less so with the ones exactly my age.
Is there a reason why you must start out at a CC instead of a 4-year school?

Old 11-27-2009, 08:48 PM

i have really bad grades. I had an issue withdrawing from my classes when i was in school 3 years ago and because of that received a withdrawal with a penalty. because of this, my gpa is like .3 i was wondering if i should appeal it since i was too naive to know i could appeal it then. that was cuny city. i could go back to city but that will be for fall 09 and am only allowed 2 classes. Im ready now. I dont think any schools will take me. I was a really good student in hs, but I became pregnant, and had to drop out.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 14,960 times
Default hostos vs bcc vs bmcc

i am going through the exact same issue as you, whether to choose hostos, bx college or BMcc for my LPN, have you made a decision? i went to hostos yesterday hoping to seek some information but they weren't really helpful, i was kinda hoping they'd give me a little bit as to why i should choose hostos vs the other two colleges (as id mentioned i was interested in them too) but they just kinda gave me a generic pamphlet and told me to come back with my transcripts.
just wondering which one you have chosen and why?
maybe itll help me make my decision.
thanks!

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-13-2010 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Not a chat board. A very BAD idea to put your Email in ANY post.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 9,616 times
I am a young guy from ghana and i didnt know anything about college here in america so i just chosed some colleges and thanks be to God BCC and HOSTOS have all accepted me to be enrolled in the school but i dont know where to go.can i pls get your advise

Old 12-20-2013, 06:38 PM

581 posts, read 1,244,084 times
I'd go to BMCC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City