Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,163 times

Advertisements

I recently rented the basement (that i rent from the landlord)
the tenant that lives there does not want to pay rent and threatten me that
if i take any action he will Mod cut and burn down the house
what should i do? Please help me!!!

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-22-2009 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 06:36 AM

176 posts, read 730,635 times
Wow, I really dont know what to say, that is crazy. You have no choice but to tell the landlord about the tenant and since the tenant does not have a lease since it is rented to you, than you have to get law enforcement envolved to have her removed. Make sure you clarify the threat so it is done when the person does not know. They have no legal right to be there and with a threat of burning the house they'll come in knock the dooor down and get her out immedidately.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 7,163 times
I'll give it a try, samething 311 told me call 911 have them deal with it since its a threat to everyone else in the house. I mean this guy is nutz!

Old 12-22-2009, 06:54 AM

176 posts, read 730,635 times
Yes, that is definitely a threat and you want to handle it where he doesnt know law enforcement is coming to get him out, he has no right to the apartment none what so ever no lease no nothing and with a threat of buring a house and killing people I can see how they would respond quickly. The only thing then is your safety though because someone that crazy once they let them lose after forcing them out the apartment you dont know what their intention for you will be. When does your lease end? I would suggest looking for a new residence where this person will never know where you are. Some people are crazy like that, and i hate to see something happens after law enforcement takes care of the issue.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:57 AM

203 posts, read 665,236 times
Yea this person sounds crazy. You need to call the police...hopefully they take it seriously.
I think the problem is more complicated that others think though. Just because there is no lease and its probably an illegal basement doesn't mean the cops will come in and put the person on the streets.
I guess OP should contact the police...they should deal with it. Hopefully you wont have to deal with housing court.
Becareful...sounds like a bad situation.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:48 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,476,667 times
Your first mistake was renting out something you don't own and have no right to rent out.

Your problem may entail a little more than calling the cops. If this person can prove they've lived there for a certain amount of time (is it 30 days?) they can claim residency and you have to go through housing court to get him out.

The cops can't just come in and put the person out becuase you claim he threatened you. If that were the case, every LL in the world would do that to get rid of unwanted tenants.

Your best bet at this point is to fess up to the LL about what you did and the two of you can work together to get him out. Be prepared, though, because if that apartment is illegal and the LL gets fines, etc, I'm sure he's going to come after YOU for the fine money since YOU rented out the basement illegally and not him. Hope that the LL has never been fined before for the basement because if he has been, the fines are going to be 2 to 3 times as much.

Good luck.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:02 PM

203 posts, read 665,236 times
I don't see how the LL can go after the tenant for the possible fines. I mean the LL can try but don't see him getting anything. The LL is not some innocent bystander...the LL ALSO ILLEGALLY rented out a basement apartment to the OP.
Although its possible that the LL will have to dismantle the apartment so OP maybe looking for a new place.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:27 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,476,667 times
I interpreted that the OP still lived in the house and was renting the basement portion to the other person. In other words, he was renting 1st floor which included the basement (like many 2 family houses do) and he rented out the basement to the other guy.

OP --- Can you clarify?

Old 12-23-2009, 06:17 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,550,565 times
Definitely an illegal basement apartment which is very prevalent in this city. The landlord will be fined.

If the tenant has threatened to do harm to the property that is a matter that needs to be reported to the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: