Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 PM

4 posts, read 24,603 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of relocating from Yonkers and I have narrowed down my target areas to Wash Heights/Inwood and Astoria, primarily due to budget and proximity to Midtown. I'm torn between the areas, anyone have any experiences or opinions they would like to share that might sway my opinion either way? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:15 PM

68 posts, read 297,911 times
Astoria.

I suggest avoiding Washington Heights/Inwood. Cause over there, with the crew from Harlem and the A train, theres gonna be bam bam bam so seriously, its not that hard of a pick. By bam bam bam I mean gunshots.
Safety first!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:18 PM

4 posts, read 24,603 times
I've heard from many people that the area is much safer than in previous years... not the case?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:22 PM

Well yeah, crime has gone down and grug dealers are being busted. But still there is still a lot of the "Hood" (not to be racist or discriminate, just telling it as it is, but Hood is what African American gangs refer themselves) left over. Astoria is good. Astoria's streets are covered by the Irish American Killers but you'll be fine. If your Irish American, then perfect, if White American then your good. If anything else, the Irish Killers give you this look but thats probably it, nothing else. Good luck!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:50 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOUR_Quarterback_12 View Post
Well yeah, crime has gone down and grug dealers are being busted. But still there is still a lot of the "Hood" (not to be racist or discriminate, just telling it as it is, but Hood is what African American gangs refer themselves) left over. Astoria is good. Astoria's streets are covered by the Irish American Killers but you'll be fine. If your Irish American, then perfect, if White American then your good. If anything else, the Irish Killers give you this look but thats probably it, nothing else. Good luck!
Haha I didn't know there was a big Irish American population in Astoria? But anyway, I agree. Astoria is a much nicer neighborhood than Wash Heights and Inwood. Very diverse and safe. Nothing bad ever happens here. It's also much closer to Midtown.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:19 PM

Seriously, you've never encountered the Irish Killers? Well, Astoria is Irish and some Eastern European. Their signature drug is the Acid. Yeah, they are all around and own the famous Steinway Beer Garden. This girl I like that lives in Astoria is Irish American Killer so yeah, I would know. haha Me? I'm Triad. Just a White Belt unfortunately though, haha.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:24 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOUR_Quarterback_12 View Post
Seriously, you've never encountered the Irish Killers? Well, Astoria is Irish and some Eastern European. Their signature drug is the Acid. Yeah, they are all around and own the famous Steinway Beer Garden. This girl I like that lives in Astoria is Irish American Killer so yeah, I would know. haha Me? I'm Triad. Just a White Belt unfortunately though, haha.
Is this a joke?

Astoria is Irish and some Eastern European? What about the Asians, Latinos and Arabs?

And you like a girl in a gang? Or are you talking about a videogame?

haha.

I don't mean to pull the thread more off-topic, but it seems it was veering that way already.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:31 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
I lived in both Inwood and Astoria, and preferred Inwood. There's more greenery and I love Inwood Hill Park. The people were generally down to earth and friendly. I also think Washington Heights (west of Broadway) is a great area. It's also very green, and Fort Tryon Park is great. I consider both to be quite safe. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. Astoria has more options for dining and is more diverse in terms of nationalities/languages (although Inwood/Washington Heights is also very diverse).

Old 12-30-2009, 04:44 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I lived in both Inwood and Astoria, and preferred Inwood. There's more greenery and I love Inwood Hill Park. The people were generally down to earth and friendly. I also think Washington Heights (west of Broadway) is a great area. It's also very green, and Fort Tryon Park is great. I consider both to be quite safe. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. Astoria has more options for dining and is more diverse in terms of nationalities/languages (although Inwood/Washington Heights is also very diverse).
I agree with this.
It might also depend on where the rest of your life is centered.Where do you work? What part(s) of Manhattan do you frequent? I have always been a sucker for a single express subway ride whenever possible,especially on a daily or frequent basis.I purposely bought an apartment just a couple of blocks from the 2 train because most of my non-Bronx life is along the West Side and I use Penn station a lot.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:48 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I agree with this.
It might also depend on where the rest of your life is centered.Where do you work? What part(s) of Manhattan do you frequent? I have always been a sucker for a single express subway ride whenever possible,especially on a daily or frequent basis.I purposely bought an apartment just a couple of blocks from the 2 train because most of my non-Bronx life is along the West Side and I use Penn station a lot.
Yes, I agree. I hate to change trains - I like to sit down and read. I'm lucky to have access to trains here that take me to either the east or west side of Manhattan without switching. I lived off of the Broadway stop in Astoria, and the train was absolutely packed by the time it got there so I nevfer got a seat on the way to work. Inwood was the last stop on the line, so I always had a seat. Maybe in Astoria it would have been better to be closer to the end of the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City