Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 09:16 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,241 times

Advertisements

With New Years already here and everyone making their resolutions, I will have to start this topic:

What are the best gyms in NYC in terms of price and the amenities you get for the price?

Right now I can only think of Planet Fitness ($10 / month) but they have this stupid rule where you can't grunt or drop weights. Also there aren't that many in NYC.

I used to have a membership with the NYC Parks Department ($50 / year, free if you are under 18) but the gym near me was always too small, crowded, and closed too early (10PM on weekdays, 5PM on Saturdays, closed on Sundays). Also the lack of Air Conditioning in the summer was annoying.

Last edited by NYCAnalyst; 12-31-2009 at 09:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 11:18 AM

335 posts, read 747,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
With New Years already here and everyone making their resolutions, I will have to start this topic:

What are the best gyms in NYC in terms of price and the amenities you get for the price?

Right now I can only think of Planet Fitness ($10 / month) but they have this stupid rule where you can't grunt or drop weights. Also there aren't that many in NYC.

I used to have a membership with the NYC Parks Department ($50 / year, free if you are under 18) but the gym near me was always too small, crowded, and closed too early (10PM on weekdays, 5PM on Saturdays, closed on Sundays). Also the lack of Air Conditioning in the summer was annoying.

I just signed up for the NYC parks department one near where I work in lower manhattan near essex street. It is always empty there. l love it.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:38 AM

484 posts, read 1,584,775 times
New York Health and Racquet Club is one of my favorites. They have awesome pools, basketball courts, rock climbing, personal trainers, nutritional counselors, saunas, racquetball, etc. http://nyhrc.com

Manhattan Plaza Health Club is a good one as well. They have a great rock climbing wall, tennis courts, really nice pools, a spa, pilates studio, etc.
Manhattan Plaza Health Club - ALL FITNESS. NO ATTITUDE.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:19 PM

172 posts, read 273,801 times
I'm looking for a gym went to look at the David Bartons Gym at Astor Place. It's beautiful; it's all dim/dark, high end and great decor, great machines and the gym looks like a nightclub. Membership is about $125 per month.

I also went to The Sports Center at Chelsea Piers is amazing too. Very big. The most impressive gym I've ever seen! It's a huge sports complex; golf ranges overlooking the Hudson, multiple sundecks, amazing equipment, sand volleyball, huge swimming pools, hockey rink, rock climbing, ice skating, 3 basketball courts, sushi bar, great spa and cafe, and the location overlooking the Hudson is very nice. It's $600 initiation and $160 per month.

Negative is that it's too far out of the way unless you live in West Chelsea, and I'd probably just drive and have to pay for use of their garage which is another added cost.

Last edited by gulfstreamliberal; 01-01-2010 at 02:40 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 03:55 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
I really like NYSC - because of their East Coast Network - I travel to Philly and DC regularly and on occasion Boston....I would love if they expanded to Pitt and Miami then they'd have all of my regular cities covered by one gym...

And their fairly clean, dont carry lines for machines and even locally their very convenient.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:12 AM

217 posts, read 921,709 times
New York Sports Clubs. Not cheap, but generally high quality equipment, clean, great hours, etc. Plenty of them in the city, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City