Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:23 PM

8 posts, read 42,929 times

Advertisements

i know there is seaport (pier 17)- any good restaurants there?. are there any restaurants with great views of the city or exceptionally famous must-try restaurants in NYC? any suggestions? would like to sit outside, see the city, eat good food, maybe be on the water front? any ideas?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 06:02 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,412 times
Well, it depends...

The best views of the city used to be from Windows on the World, but alas, it is no more.

At the top of Rockefeller Center is one of New York's great landmark restaurants, The Rainbow Room (http://www.rainbowroom.com/rainbow_room.htm - broken link). The views are exceptional, the decor original Art Deco, and dancing on the rotating parquet dance floor you'll feel like Fred and Ginger. The price is breathtaking too.

This time of year is great for Tavern on the Green. Right in Central Park, it's a lovely spot and yes, you can take a romantic hansom cab to and from the restaurant if you wish.

While not much on views, 21 Club is a New York landmark equally as famous as any other and the food is still good.

Many reviewers consider Le Bernardin the best restaurant in New York and so naturally, one of the best in the world. The seafood is exceptional and it has been part of the New York restaurant scene for a very long time.

If you could give us a price range and what your favorite kinds of food are, we could give you more specific recommendations.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:44 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,805 times
Not much on views either, but one of the nicest, most romantic restaurants in NYC is "One If By Land" on Barrow St in the West Village.

You want a nice view?? Go to Kennedy's in Breezy Point, overlooking the Rockaway Inlet.

Jason has listed pretty much the most notable restaurants, but I think they are over priced and you can do much better for the money.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:05 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
check out the water cafe in downtown brooklyn

Old 05-23-2007, 09:05 PM

Oh yes, they are all, except maybe Le Bernardin, overpriced but they're the restaurants that show-up in romantic movies and have become institutions for the visitors. They're also very pleasant without being awful tourist traps.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:26 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
La Grenouille is also lovely.

PLEASE DO NOT take a hansom cab. EVER. The horses that pull them are underfed, overworked and not kept well. It makes me ache just to see them when I pass by Central Park. Many of us who live here are trying to get them banned. Many horses are forced to work while lame or otherwise injured. Do them a favor and DON'T take a hansom cab. Please.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:42 AM

141 posts, read 675,245 times
A price range would be helpful, as well as the type of cuisine, but off the top of my head from personal experience:

Daniel - this is my favorite restaurant in New York. Very good French cuisine.

Aureole - very good food; you can see the front in the movie "Something's Gotta Give" (does that qualify as famous?)

Nobu - I think Robert DeNiro owns this restaurant. Skip it if you don't like Japanese and/or spicy.

Spice Market - obviously, very spicy Asian, but also very good, and I love the decor.

As other posters have said, Le Berardin is very good, and also very well known.

Le Cirque is also another very famous restaurant, but IMO, they aren't as good as they once were. I went to there new location in the Bloomberg building, and came away unimpressed. The price, however, was very impressive.

Most of the above have no city views, so if you want something more touristy, I guess try Tavern on the Green or the Rainbow Room.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 34,721 times
There is an excellent new place that just opened up by the seaport called Nelson Blue

http://www.sheckys.com/newyorkcity/s...lue_1_8786.asp

Old 05-24-2007, 01:10 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
The new Le Cirque is HORRIBLE. Food has deteriorated and the location is such that you're blinded every few minutes by cars driving into the circular driveway...NOT worth the $$$$.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:28 PM

Ah! Found the one I was looking for!

World Yacht Cruises serve dinner while circumnavigating the island of Manhattan, rather like the Circle Line, only snazzier. They also have a DJ and dancing plus a bar. I have no clue about the food, but the views will be nothing short of spectacular. Just be sure the weather's good before you make reservations.

I think the trick here is to recommend places that out-of-towners would find very memorable for something other than the shocking bill. In the stratospheric catagory my fave is Aquavit (http://www.aquavit.org/flash.html - broken link), but I wouldn't necessarily suggest it for non-foodies.

PS- While I still love the food, I miss the old location. The new one isn't nearly as beautiful. The Sunday brunch is the best bargain, imho.

PPS - Agree on the situation with Le Cirque. Talk about a decline! It's become the Maxim's of New York without the Majorelle interior.

Last edited by Jason_Els; 05-24-2007 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City