Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:57 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times

Advertisements

Liquor laws are different too. You can't buy beer in convenience stores in NJ like you can in NYC. You buy it in distributors and liquor stores and some supermarkets. NJ also often has bars in the back of liquor stores - I don't think you can do that in NY.

You can make a right on red in NJ. Unless it's specifically posted in NY you can't.

There are also A LOT of cops in NJ (the places that I know anyway) so you have to actually obey the laws more than you do in NYC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:01 PM

151 posts, read 132,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Again, depends on where. Not all of NYC is more expensive than NJ...not all of NJ is cheaper than NYC.
Of course it depends on where........ I'm speaking in general or overall houses are cheaper.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:02 AM

44 posts, read 137,551 times
Quote:
Well that depends on where you are moving. For instance, Deal NJ has some homes that are more than a million dollars.
That was a general statement. I never intended to imply everywhere in New Jersey was cheaper than everywhere in New York City. Having lived in New Jersey, however, I am comfortable in my initial conclusion.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsherry View Post
That was a general statement. I never intended to imply everywhere in New Jersey was cheaper than everywhere in New York City. Having lived in New Jersey, however, I am comfortable in my initial conclusion.
Fair enough...although, I don't think one can really compare one city (NYC) to an entire state.

State to state, or city to city...then yeah.

Overall, I think NJ & NY are pretty similar though. We're not talking Texas and Maine here.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:37 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:
Fair enough...although, I don't think one can really compare one city (NYC) to an entire state.

State to state, or city to city...then yeah.

Overall, I think NJ & NY are pretty similar though. We're not talking Texas and Maine here.
exactly. i've lived on either side of the Hudson river and there isn't much difference. however, NJ is a state and outside of north jersey (hudson, bergen, middlesex counties) the rest of the state is very different from NYC/LI/Westchester. but then again, so is the rest of NY state.

i wouldn't exactly call Albany or Binghampton similar to the NYC metro

Old 01-15-2010, 03:35 AM

44 posts, read 137,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
exactly. i've lived on either side of the Hudson river and there isn't much difference. however, NJ is a state and outside of north jersey (hudson, bergen, middlesex counties) the rest of the state is very different from NYC/LI/Westchester. but then again, so is the rest of NY state.

They're obviously entirely different. Beyond the immediate suburbs, no other place in New York state is at all like New York City. A native Buffalonian, I have tried my best to explain that to people in Washington, D.C., and Mississippi but have had absolutely no luck.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:18 AM

312 posts, read 910,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

I get you, I might have posted this in the wrong forum because I was mainly thinking of the differences between the two States.

Moderator cut: Off-topic comparison for NYC forum

How would you compare the nightlife, costs of living and the general quality of life there?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-15-2010 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: Off-topic

Old 01-15-2010, 10:05 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Moderator's Note: Please stay on topic within this thread. State vs. state comparisons are off-topic in the NYC forum. If, however, one wishes to use a narrow focus to compare the city to the immediate NNJ suburbs, that is appropriate as they are an integral part of the NYC Metro. That comparison can be of use to people deciding between NYC and NNJ, but introducing Buffalo and South Jersey, for example, is beyond the scope of this forum, and should be addressed in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-15-2010, 10:43 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
I would say the main difference besides the obvious cost of living differences is the pace. NYC has a vibrancy 24/7 that is unique, NJ suburbs not as much. For decades after WWII the attitude was to move to the suburbs and provide a better life for your family. Commuting was managable (in theory) then and it was thought that being out of the city was better.

In many ways they are alike now, many of the issues people left the city for have migrated to the suburbs with them and not all of them good.

Now it's a matter of personnal choice, familys seem to prefer the suburbs and the opportunity's they offer and younger people /empty nesters prefer the city. Office parks and company relocations have eliminated the city commute for many and the NJ communities now are self substained with no need for people to "commute in".

Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
In N.J. you have mostly suburbia, meaning you need a car to get around. Things are much more convenient in NYC, but it is very expensive to have a car. It is hard, sometimes impossible, to get parking on the street. Garage parking is expensive.

There are many venues in NYC for being with others, lectures, schools, music, concerts, Socrates Cafe sort of meetins. In NJ burbs most of the social life for many people is meeting others at kids' related functions at schools or maybe church groups.

I found, to do stimulating things, there is much more time consuming travelling to be done in Jersey - also you should not be drinking if you intend to drive home. In NY some places are in walking distance which is safe at night in populated areas and there are always cabs and buses. Some subway lines have police cameras and are also safe at night. You may run into some unsavory characters but they won't bother you.

In NY life is great if you have your weekly food delivered to your building. If this is too expensive you waste a lot of time going from store to store if you are a bit fussy about groceries. If you have a family that can mean a bit of heavy schlepping or shopping several times a week or eating out a lot. In NJ supermarkets are huge and you just pull up in your car and load up.

NY is good shopping for high end merchandise, but if this is not your price category you might prefer Jersey malls.

NY has most in apartments and condos, NJ most live in houses in suburbia. If you factor in home repair tools and lawn mowing and snow shoveling as a home owner in Jersey and having to own a car with the necessary insurance and upkeep and cost of gas because you drive everywhere, the cost of living in NJ rises considerably.

I think there are more excellent medical facilities in NY. A wide diversity of religions is in NY, as well as convenient atheist groups.

There is something, a lot, to be said about stepping out of your front door in Jersey in the summer and seeing/hearing a variety of birds and foliage and blue sky and just going for a leisurely stoll, maybe with your ipod, and not be met by crowds of people jostling here and there.

To get some of this ambience in NY you must go out of your way to a park and chances are you will be met by crowds who have the same idea. There is usually more space to breathe in Jersey, in and outside of your living quarters.

New Yorkers, because most do not have cars, tend to walk more. Even subways require up and down stairs usually. I think they are more in shape and less fat than people in Jersey (sorry).

I have heard that New Yorkers tend to send kids to private schools, which is quite an expense, whereas in Jersey, if you inquire ahead of time, you can settle in a community with great public schools.

New Jersey taxes depend on the community and sometimes vary greatly as they are property taxes and the highest part of this goes to the educational system. Towns are so small sometimes that there are those with older people who have no children and never vote for tax increases and end up paying less than communities with lots of children.

Well, I hope I did not misrepresent anything too badly, but this is how I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City