Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 03:22 PM

5 posts, read 34,013 times

Advertisements

As the title states, I'll be 18 in December of this year, and plan on moving to NYC with my friend (and then roommate) in the summer of 2011. We're thinking of sharing a 2 bedroom apartment, hopefully under our maximum price of $2,000/month, but have a lot of questions, which is why we're planning so far ahead. One major problem would be our age. Are there renters who are willing to rent to 18 year olds? And if so, in safe neighborhoods? Due to many reviews of the boroughs in Manhattan, I'd actually like to stay near Upper East Side, Upper West Side, East Village, etc. I'm aware it'll be difficult to find apartments in these areas around my price range, but for the saftey I think I'll be willing to search. From personal experience, which area would you suggest? Any additional info or advice would be appreciated as well, thanks!

(Questions are bolded, key info is italicized. I tend to ramble, ha.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 03:25 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaileebee View Post
As the title states, I'll be 18 in December of this year, and plan on moving to NYC with my friend (and then roommate) in the summer of 2011. We're thinking of sharing a 2 bedroom apartment, hopefully under our maximum price of $2,000/month, but have a lot of questions, which is why we're planning so far ahead. One major problem would be our age. Are there renters who are willing to rent to 18 year olds? And if so, in safe neighborhoods? Due to many reviews of the boroughs in Manhattan, I'd actually like to stay near Upper East Side, Upper West Side, East Village, etc. I'm aware it'll be difficult to find apartments in these areas around my price range, but for the saftey I think I'll be willing to search. From personal experience, which area would you suggest? Any additional info or advice would be appreciated as well, thanks!

(Questions are bolded, key info is italicized. I tend to ramble, ha.)
$2000/month in those neighborhoods is NOT reasonable. Are you employed yet? Landlords generally require proof of employment and you need to earn your monthly rent X 40 annually. Take a look at the sticky at the top of the board 'Need info on moving to NYC.' You're going to have to consider other boroughs/areas with that budget.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:31 PM

Hm, thats what I was afraid of. I was previously considering Hamilton Heights (due to the low rent), but have heard it's not the safest of areas. My family isn't big on me living in New York at such a young age as it is, so I was trying to find an area that's fairly safe, while still in my price range. Any suggestions? :|

Old 02-21-2010, 03:36 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Manhattan

Our daughter moved to NYC by herself in September, 2007, became employed right away and rented a studio in Murray Hill for $2300 or so per month.

We had to co-sign and put up 4 months (first, last, security plus one month ahead just to show good faith). She was there 5 months and then the management company offered her a deal on another property in Grammercy Park. I personally loved this one, great location, studio (bigger 500 SF) - it was $2700 per month. They just moved the lease and extended it.
(We were still technically co-signers).

Then, last year, when her lease was up, she looked into Lower Manhattan. The rents on a 1 bedroom were greatly reduced due to the economy. Timing was everything. She got a 1 bedroom down by Wall Street for less than what she paid for the first studio - around $2200 per month.
We did not have to co-sign. She did it all on her own. We are proud of her.

Even though she spends way more on her rent than we think she should, this is her choice - she has great credit and other than this, is careful. Her dream was to live and work in NYC - she's doing it so....we are happy for her.

Even though I would love for her to get a roommate, her choice is to live alone. That's her choice.

I think there are a lot of possibilities for you, however, $2000 per month for a 2 bedroom might be hard to come by. You never know though.

Good luck.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:44 PM

Both of our parents (my roommate to be and I) have already offered to co-sign, so that shouldn't be a problem, if that's the only stipulation to our age. I'm sure we may be able to raise our rent price later on, it's just a bit difficult since we aren't currently living and employed there, so we're not sure how much more than $2000/month we can pay.

Crossing my fingers for a reduced priced apartment next year.

Thanks for the response, and I'm glad your daughter is following her dream (:

P.S. Just noticed you're from Florida as well ! Good to know I'm not the only one trading in the warm beaches for snow! :P

Old 02-21-2010, 06:46 PM

917 posts, read 2,947,256 times
What kind of work are you planning to do? It sounds like you aren't going to college, so that leaves you working retail/food industry- you will have a very very hard time earning enough to pay $1000/month working in either of those areas. I do have friends who make a decent living as waiters/bartenders, but they have a lot of experience in nice restaurants/bars and they definitely didn't start out making a lot.

For $2000, you are priced out of the neighborhoods you listed in Manhattan. However, you could probably find something good in one of the nicer parts of Brooklyn.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:08 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
My question would be why you want to move to NYC? Do you have friends there or is it the mystique of what you see on television on shows like Sex in the City? If it is based on what you have heard or seen on tv,my suggestion would be to go with your friend and stay in a hotel for a week to get a better idea. NYC is great but most people do not live the life you see on tv.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:53 AM

477 posts, read 1,406,171 times
I personally don't see the point of moving here under the age of 21 unless you are going to college. You will not be able to get into any sort of nightlife, which is probably one of the biggest reasons a young single person would move here. If you give us a better idea of what your plans are here we can help you with info on placed to live, visit, etc.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:08 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Do your parents make $180k/year? That's going to be the requirement for them to cosign on a $2k apartment.

You're not going to find a 2BR for $2k in the areas you're talking about.

Have you ever even visited NY?

How are you planning on paying your rent?

Do you have a job lined up? At your age, without any experience or college, you're going to be working very poorly paying jobs, if you can even find one, and won't be making enough money to afford $1k/mo. For example, if you even find a job making $10/hr, you'll take home approx $1,400 a month.

Why not try to attend college in NY instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaileebee View Post
Both of our parents (my roommate to be and I) have already offered to co-sign, so that shouldn't be a problem, if that's the only stipulation to our age. I'm sure we may be able to raise our rent price later on, it's just a bit difficult since we aren't currently living and employed there, so we're not sure how much more than $2000/month we can pay.

Crossing my fingers for a reduced priced apartment next year.

Thanks for the response, and I'm glad your daughter is following her dream (:

P.S. Just noticed you're from Florida as well ! Good to know I'm not the only one trading in the warm beaches for snow! :P

Old 02-22-2010, 12:11 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Unless you are highly skilled in some way, it's not a good idea to show up in NYC with only a high school diploma. Then, as you correctly guess, landlord will think twice about renting to teenagers. I'm guessing you'd be more likely to be sharing a tiny studio, not a two-bedroom.

You might instead come for the summer and sublet a cheap place from a student to see if you think you have a chance of surviving financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City