Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:51 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,690,271 times

Advertisements

How common are alleys in NYC, specifically the Manhattan borough. I always remember hearing the stories of people getting jumped when they walk down an alley etc. I've been to NYC 4 separate times and I'm yet to see an alley in Manhattan.

Just so were on the same page. Hopefully "alley" is the correct word. But what I mean is basically an area that is not much more than 15 feet wide between buildings. I know some alleys are considered a one way street between buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 09:38 PM

172 posts, read 273,545 times
There are quite a few alleys in Downtown Manhattan.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 PM

108 posts, read 570,090 times
if you go to forgotten-ny.com, there's a list of alleys in NYC

Old 02-23-2010, 02:14 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,417 times
Alleys are rare in NYC. That was a big difference when I moved here from Chicago - in Chicago, just about every block has an alley. You put your trash out in the alley and the garbage trucks go through and pick it up there, for instance, whereas in NYC we put the garbage out front on the curb. If you hear stories about people getting mugged in an alley in NYC, they're probably talking about a dark, narrow street or a walkway between buildings, something like that.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:02 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post
Alleys are rare in NYC. That was a big difference when I moved here from Chicago - in Chicago, just about every block has an alley. You put your trash out in the alley and the garbage trucks go through and pick it up there, for instance, whereas in NYC we put the garbage out front on the curb. If you hear stories about people getting mugged in an alley in NYC, they're probably talking about a dark, narrow street or a walkway between buildings, something like that.
I agree with this completely.There are very,very few real alleys in NY.
When I think of alleys this is what I think of:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2094/...6179d5.jpg?v=0
Alleys in Boston like the one above are all numbered...Like "public alley 434"
and as in Chicago they are used for trash pick up and parking behind residential buildings.
The cops also use them to get around the traffic on regular city streets.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:28 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
When I was a kid, I lived in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn. There were alleys between every other building on all the blocks. I can't imagine why anyone would say that alleys are rare in New York City--they're all over the place (well, OK, except where large apartment houses have been built).

The alleys of historical merit are the ones that used to be actual streets. Those are rare, granted. All the rest are simply (and literally) alleyways between buildings.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:28 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,019 times
Alleys are rare in NYC, particularly in manhattan. The fact is space is at too much of a premium to waste on an alley in manhattan. Stores etc have metal trap doors in the sidewalks in front of their store. Trash, deliveries etc come and go through these.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:31 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,417 times
OP was asking about Manhattan, not Brooklyn. I know there are alleys in Brooklyn, although not in the areas I'm familiar with, the brownstone areas closer to Manhattan.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldude View Post
if you go to forgotten-ny.com, there's a list of alleys in NYC
yea when I googled this question I saw the web site. I checked it out. I had seen the website awhile ago. Interesting pictures. But the reason I made this post is because so many of the pictures did not look like what I thought of an alley.

Thanks

Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I agree with this completely.There are very,very few real alleys in NY.
When I think of alleys this is what I think of:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2094/...6179d5.jpg?v=0
Alleys in Boston like the one above are all numbered...Like "public alley 434"
and as in Chicago they are used for trash pick up and parking behind residential buildings.
The cops also use them to get around the traffic on regular city streets.

your picture is exactly what I was refering too. Do you know where that picture is located? Manhattan? Nyc in general?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City