Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 AM

21 posts, read 32,264 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

Ok, im planning on suprising my gfriend for her birthday and take her to your wonderful city. Im 28 and have just bought a house with her,(we have been together for 7 years), so money is tighter than tight!

I have connections with Virgin so have got flights, 1st class i may add!! for £300 each and im looking for a good cheap hotel-NOT a hostel as my girlfriend would hate sharing a bathroom! Thirty Thirty is the name of the hotel i have my eye on as it seems quite cheap and in an ok location. Im heading over on the 16th of Feb for 4 nights.

My questions to you New Yorkers is...how are things in NYC in Feb? I hear it is cold, nut hey im from Scotland . Do any of you know of the Thirty Thirty hotel? How much is it to eat out? Do taxi drivers try and rip you off?!?

Thanks for any advice guys, and who knows i may bump into you when im over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,421,898 times
NYC isn't just expensive in february, it's expensive all the time!

Cold, yes. probably until at least april or so.

I generally do not take cabs, so I don't know if they rip you off but the meter starts @ $2.50 and goes up from there...I guess, every few blocks or so. So, essentially if you go nowhere, you still owe $2.50...lol. They take credit cards now though! Our cabs here are not one set fare...like $5/person...it depends on where you go. The further the distance the more it will cost you.

Obviously eating out depends on where you go and what you eat. A chain like TGI Fridays probably will not be as expensive as a nicer privately-owned place...or an upscale place like Tao. Our sales tax here is really expensive and it's added to every dollar you spend...so the more you spend, the more you are taxed...and the percentage is 8.25% or 8.5%...something like that. We have one of the highest sales tax in the country. (Although not sure about food...but as far as items, I don't believe you are taxed on anything costing less than $100). Andddd when eating out, tipping is customary- at least 10% or double-the-tax (I have seen it done both ways).

Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,849,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

Obviously eating out depends on where you go and what you eat.
Ain't that the truth! Hehe. In 2 days I ate at two separate places, Monday I went to Pastis (My friend and I like to go out on "fancy nights" once a month since we are both single) and spent about $100 between the two of us, that included 2 glasses of wine, a steak, a croque-madame, and of course chocolate mouse for dessert!

Then last night we went out for Vietnamese on Canal Street (this time 3 of us) and our total bill was $20 for 3 meals and 2 sodas.

So really there are deals to be found but I'm assuming since its your girlfriends bday you might want to take her to a fun hip place.

I recommend Pastis in the meatpacking district also Brunch at Bagetelle.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:33 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,311,497 times
Thirty Thirty is not a very nice hotel. Unless it's very cheap, you could do better.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:41 AM

$500 for 4 nights including breakfast thats all in for the 2 of us, which I think is real cheap. What makes you say its not nice?

I would imagine most of the time we will be out and about so it was more the location I was after to be honest.

Have got to say thanks v much for replying folks it really is a help! Any more advice is more than welcome !!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:57 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,454,678 times
Thirty Thirty is in a good location, but you might look into The Pod. Some accommodations do have private bathrooms, and the price is low, though I think that the rooms are small. You can get a queen room with a private bath for a decent rate, and depending upon date, you might come out a little less expensive, though it's in the E50s.

It will be cold, and the wind can be especially brutal, enhanced by the tall buildings that funnel the air on the street. However, you should be well versed in both aspects of the weather.

Some taxi drivers will attempt to take a scenic route, but if you have a professional Medallion yellow cab or a private car service with a flat rate, most are decent. Many times, however, it's faster to get places via the subway, and cabs are a flat rate from the airport.

Dining out depends upon so many factors, but you don't have to spend a fortune to eat decent food in New York. Do you have a particular type of cuisine that you would prefer? That can help to narrow prices and recommendations. Do you want an occasion restaurant for one night as a surprise and then some casual establishments?

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-06-2010, 12:04 PM

43,813 posts, read 44,591,265 times
If a taxi driver tries to rip you off, you can complain to the NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission: http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/tlc/html/home/home.shtml (broken link) .
Remember you must give the taxi driver a tip in addition to the metered fare.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:35 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,978,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If a taxi driver tries to rip you off, you can complain to the NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission: NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission (http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/tlc/html/home/home.shtml - broken link) .
Remember you must give the taxi driver a tip in addition to the metered fare.
No. Tips are customary but NOT mandatory.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:02 PM

43,813 posts, read 44,591,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
No. Tips are customary but NOT mandatory.
Well if you give a taxi driver a smaller tip (than they think they deserve) then you have problems with the driver.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Well if you give a taxi driver a smaller tip (than they think they deserve) then you have problems with the driver.
Seriously!!!

I'm a bit fazed by the subway, don't know why, are they safe?!

I'm planning on "popping the question" while im over, where is a good spot folks?, I was think somewhere in central Park?

Once again thanks so much for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City