Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:19 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallParis View Post
The other night it took me about 20 minutes to find a parking space, that has been the longest time span since I've been here. Every morning I wake up hoping that the car is still there and doesn't have a ticket.

I don't think anyone will steal it, I'm just hoping it won't be towed. I got a ticket the first night I parked it. I parked where someone had previously been. They were from New York so I thought it was legal. Not so much. Apparently, I was parked in a crosswalk.

I can't figure out just how close I can park to the fire hydrants and I see people parked in the actual intersection between the crosswalks and I don't know if it's legal. I've never had to walk too far to where I parked though and as I said, the only people I'm afraid of is the NYPD Traffic somebodies.

I say this because we are in the same area and I also have to make drives out to Long Island. Get the car and park it in the garage on St. Nicholas if you don't want to deal with finding a spot. You'll know that you'll have a spot and get a little bit of exercise on a daily basis. When I bring up my personal car, I expect it to be spending the nights there.
I think I know what garage you're talking about. Do you pay for a monthly spot? If so how much? You can PM me if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 05:25 AM

324 posts, read 669,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Is there anyone who has or has had a car in Manhattan? Is it that much of a hassle? Do you spend much more money on it than you would living elsewhere?
I know that it's highly recommended that you don't own a car while living here, so you don't need to tell me that. I commute to work in Long Island and even with traffic it'd be faster and more convenient for me to drive there than to take the LIRR. Moving to LI is an option, but the absolute dead last resort for me. I'm wondering if anyone who has owned or owns a car here knows the cost, disadvantages, and tips of owning a car in the city...I need to make a decision whether or not to buy one.
There is no need to own a car in Manhattan.

The hassle of finding parking, large amounts for monthly parking garages and expensive car insurance makes the choice easy. If you need a car, use a zip car.

Last edited by TheCity; 02-26-2010 at 05:52 AM..

Old 02-26-2010, 05:37 PM

27 posts, read 143,150 times
Quote:
I think I know what garage you're talking about. Do you pay for a monthly spot? If so how much? You can PM me if you want.
I haven't used them yet, but when I initially came up here, there were flyers all over the place. With a little math, I think it may end up being about $175.00 a month? I think I tacked on about 18.75% as tax to what I believe was $147 and some change.

I think that is what I'll end up doing, but to be honest, it hasn't been horrible looking for parking and once I find all of the parking laws, it may be less stressful.

I wish you well.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,474 times
I would do everythign to avoid owning a car in manhattan. Not only is it going to cost you a rediculous amount of money, it is also a logisitical NIGHTMARE. If I were you I would start looking for a new job. It's that much of a quality of life issue to me. You're better off keeping it in queens and taking the train to it in the morning on your way to LI.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:31 PM

169 posts, read 489,945 times
owning a car in Manhattan is a nightmare.....much more doable in the outer boroughs....though areas closer to Manhattan...i.e. Astoria....L.I.C.....Greenpoint....having a car will be a hassle

That being said, I have had a car for almost 10 years now....trouble free.....living in Maspeth....Ozone Park and Howard Beach

Also....a garage in the boroughs should run about 200$ a month....and a parking spot about 1000-125$ a month.....

Old 02-28-2010, 07:46 AM

9 posts, read 52,075 times
Lots of good suggestions here. I'll just add-if you decide not to get a car, don't let your license expire. Renew it. You don't know where life'll put you.

I lived in NYC for years, had my license way before photo IDs, never owned a car; drove ocassionally. Moved to NJ. Took the written test only, before it expired. Glad I renewed it all those years-otherwise I'd have to take the written AND road tests over.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:52 AM

33 posts, read 115,124 times
So you plan to use this car mainly for work commute, and possibly short trips on weekends, right? I would be tempted to use my car at night during the work week if i needed to travel from say LES to UWS. However, also give consideration to tow costs. Got my beamer towed a few years back -- the po po was quick to get my car towed because I was about 5 mins late retrieving my car from a spot that said parking until 10 pm. The hassle of calling the po po / towing company and staying up late at night in the towpound facility on West Side Hwy to get my damn car back was always something I remember!! To make a long story short... when in doubt, don't buy....

Old 02-28-2010, 01:27 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxasian View Post
So you plan to use this car mainly for work commute, and possibly short trips on weekends, right? I would be tempted to use my car at night during the work week if i needed to travel from say LES to UWS. However, also give consideration to tow costs. Got my beamer towed a few years back -- the po po was quick to get my car towed because I was about 5 mins late retrieving my car from a spot that said parking until 10 pm. The hassle of calling the po po / towing company and staying up late at night in the towpound facility on West Side Hwy to get my damn car back was always something I remember!! To make a long story short... when in doubt, don't buy....
Oh, I wouldn't use it for getting around the city. I'm too much of a subway lover for that

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. It really is a tough decision for me. If only LIRR were faster, and ran more often--currently I only have a choice of arriving to work at either an hour before work or an hour after I'm supposed to be there...plus I have to stay at work after everyone else leaves, waiting for the train home--this wouldn't be a problem.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:11 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Oh, I wouldn't use it for getting around the city. I'm too much of a subway lover for that

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. It really is a tough decision for me. If only LIRR were faster, and ran more often--currently I only have a choice of arriving to work at either an hour before work or an hour after I'm supposed to be there...plus I have to stay at work after everyone else leaves, waiting for the train home--this wouldn't be a problem.
you shoud really look into living somewhere closer to your job...honestly unless you're really making a considerable sum of money, its not worth owning a car if you live in manhattan. if i lived in manhattan i wouldnt even own a car unless i made a good deal of money and the building itself had a garage.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
If you do buy a car, I would recommend buying something small and inexpensive, since you will pay higher rates for a parking space for a large car/SUV, and of course for a luxury vehicle. Since you need the car to be convenient for a morning commute, you're somewhat limited, since you cannot garage the car on the far west side of Midtown or Upper Manhattan and realistically get to Long Island in the morning without the hassles of an intra-city commute first.

To mitigate your insurance premium, be sure to have a theft recovery system like Lo-Jack and an anti-theft system in the vehicle, since many companies will give discounts for both. Street parking can be available, depending upon neighborhood, but there can also be an increased risk for the car with regard to vandalism, and hence, higher insurance premiums if it's not garaged in an insured facility.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: