Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:51 PM

8 posts, read 32,056 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am currently investigating various neighborhoods in Brooklyn, trying to find a place where I could split with a friend (so 2BR). Pretax, btween us we'll earn 135k, though both of us have parents who are willing to give us some support if needed (I'd prefer not to rely on them). Looking into Brooklyn because I've spent all my time going to school in Manhattan and am looking for a change of scenery (also because I'd rather not live in a closet).

But I don't know what kind of neighborhood would be good for young, single males, because I don't really know Brooklyn that well. Ideally a location close to a 2-3 or A-C trains would be helpful commute wise, but I suppose I could survive a train transfer if needed. The NQRW would be tolerable too.

So I'm open to suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 08:05 PM

Actually, what do I know, maybe Williamsburg would be fine too, I don't know.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:04 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
williamsburg and greenpoint would be my top two suggestions, though neither of those have the trains you are looking for.

maybe Prospect Heights &
Carroll Gardens (?) Don't know the exact demographic here in terms of age.
Crown Heights is filling up w/ young people moving in who have been priced out of other areas, but I personally would not want to live there. Same goes for Bushwick.

If you are in NY already, hop on the train and check them out.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:48 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazkar View Post
Hey everyone, I am currently investigating various neighborhoods in Brooklyn, trying to find a place where I could split with a friend (so 2BR). Pretax, btween us we'll earn 135k, though both of us have parents who are willing to give us some support if needed (I'd prefer not to rely on them). Looking into Brooklyn because I've spent all my time going to school in Manhattan and am looking for a change of scenery (also because I'd rather not live in a closet).

But I don't know what kind of neighborhood would be good for young, single males, because I don't really know Brooklyn that well. Ideally a location close to a 2-3 or A-C trains would be helpful commute wise, but I suppose I could survive a train transfer if needed. The NQRW would be tolerable too.

So I'm open to suggestions.
Two recent college grads making a combined $135,000/year? You can afford nice two-bedrooms in the East Village, Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, Carroll Gardens, and Park Slope. Don't bother moving any further out. All of the neighborhoods I have listed are far nicer than Williamsburg and Greenpoint, as well... they are more industrial neighborhoods whereas the ones I have listed are more brownstones with tree-lined streets and good restaurants, shops, and transit options.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:54 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Fort Greene is a great option for you.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:34 AM

Any pro's and con's to these various neighborhoods? Obviously I will go walk around there and check them all out before making any decisions, but any additional information would be great.

Like, how is the demographic in each of these areas? Are there enough young people like myself? How is the social scene in these neighborhoods, or does one need to travel a bit to get to stuff? Like, I was in Carroll Gardens once last summer and it mostly seemed like a lot of older families with kids, but honestly I don't know.

As far as I can tell those neighborhoods are all safe, which is cool.

A question: Given a salary like that, how much would be a good amount to consider spending on rent while living decently?

Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
There is an area of Manhattan known to have tons of young professionals who just recently graduated. I read about it on here. I think it's Murrray Hill. I'm sure someone here will know if that's correct.

The usual formula is 40x monthly rent = salary, so your rent would be $3375 for a 2 bedroom (each paying half of that).

Old 02-28-2010, 08:54 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,830 times
Fort Greene, Prospect Heights, Boerum Hill. Rents are a bit cheaper than Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights and there is good train proximity. Fort Greene and Boerum Hill are close to the Atlantic Avenue transportation hub as well as the A-C at Hoyt Schermerhorn. I live in Boerum Hill and love the option of taking just about any train home from Manhattan. Prospect Heights is near Grand Army Plaza and the 2-3 train. All of these nabes have good restaurants and bars and are within a reasonably close proximity to Manhattan so a late-night cab ride home isn't going to cost an arm and a leg.

Carroll Gardens is a lovely neighborhood but it's more of a PITA transportation-wise. Your only choice is the F train. From what I gather (not being a young person myself), Prospect Heights is hopping with a good bar scene on Vanderbilt Avenue. Boerum Hill is close to Smith Street with its many restaurants and bars and is a short hop, skip and a jump from Fort Greene which I'm not that familiar with but seems to have a decent amount of bars and restaurants. I would suggest you check out Vanderbilt Ave., Smith Street and Atlantic Avenue to get a feel for those neighborhoods.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:27 PM

Those seem like some good starting points. Thanks.

Though more opinions are always welcome.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:34 PM

155 posts, read 445,605 times
I am a recent college grad living in Carroll Gardens. Your impressions were correct, it is more of a family oriented neighborhood and quite a bit quieter than Williamsburg surrounding areas. Lots of stately brownstones and still plenty of old-timer Italians around. I personally love living here, even if it is more oriented toward Sunday brunch than Saturday night partying. Smith Street is very hip and lined with restaurants and bars, though, so it's not like it's totally dead. You're also very close to shopping strips in Brooklyn Heights and downtown. Transportation isn't that bad. The F train is reliable and can get you to the East Village, SoHo, the Village, Midtown, etc. in 20 as well as Prospect Park in less. You also have the G, which can get you to Fort Greene, Williamsburg, and Greenpoint in about the same amount of time. As far as the A/C train, it's just one transfer at Jay Street from the F. The 2/3 stops in Brooklyn Heights.

I also work in Prospect Heights, and it's ok, but I wouldn't want to live there, especially compared to Carroll Gardens. It has less of a neighborhood feel to me, and Vanderbilt Ave. feels kind of like a wannabe Smith Street. Flatbush is Flatbush, and then Washington Ave. tends more toward Crown Heights. It is on the 2/3, though, if that makes any difference. I just find it kind of dull minus the safe, quiet, family feel that Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill/Heights area has.

If I were you, I would look closely in Brooklyn Heights/Cobble Hill close to or on Atlantic Ave. You will get the quiet neighborhood, but Atlantic is quite bustling, and you'll also be close to Smith/Court Streets and the 2/3/A/C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City