Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:53 AM

56 posts, read 335,311 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new job and it's going to take longer to start than I anticipated another 2 weeks to a month. I really want to do this job, but can't hold off on $ that long. I don't want to go start another job for 2-4 weeks and then quit.

I really need an employment service that you go and are given to given a daily/nightly assignment, you complete it and they pay you that day/week. I know I have heard of places like that but cannot find anything when I google it. Can anyone help? Please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,053 times
If you applied tomorrow you still wouldn't see anything for 2-4 weeks. Be happy you don't have to wait longer than that.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:04 AM

The application process for a job where you show up and they put you to work that day is a 2-4 week process? That's mind boggling! I can see the application taking that long for a regular job where they were looking for the "right fit" for the company, and making sure they had someone with the right skills for the position, but for daily assignments?

Old 02-28-2010, 11:08 AM

Ok lets put it this way, I cannot wait 4-6 weeks for a payday. Where would I go on Monday or Tuesday morning if I wanted to work that day and get paid that evening or at the end of the week? LEGALLY and REALISTICALLY...

Old 02-28-2010, 11:29 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,840,342 times
Even retail jobs have their schedules made 2 weeks out and u wont see money for 2 weeks after that. The only job i ever worked where you show up and take home basically all your money that day is when I was the door girl for a club...

Old 02-28-2010, 11:47 AM

Well I don't think I'd make a good door girl so that's out. lol I'm not really looking to show up to a job when I want and work, but rather a company who specializes in lets say a factory is short a person doing x for the day nd on the fly needs some someone to show up so they a company who provides this service. Or lets say a company is looking for a street team for a day or a week to advertise a new product or store opening. They would a company who provide this service and say "I need X amount of people to do X for X days..." You know what I mean?

I know this exists somewhere because I saw a group of people dressed in the same color shirts (with a product logo on it) handing out something. Out of curiosity I asked one of the girls how she got that job she described the type of agency who puts people to work for the day, showed up and was given that assignment for a week or two. I also once saw an ad in the Village Voice (I think it was) for this type of work for the service they provided to businesses where they provided temps for factories, labor, offices answering calls and doing filing as well as various "street team" positions... Both of these I've seen probably 2 to 3 maybe even four years ago, maybe the economy took it's toll on them or have become over loaded with people in this day and age looking for this type of work.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:54 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,840,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 718bound View Post
Well I don't think I'd make a good door girl so that's out. lol I'm not really looking to show up to a job when I want and work, but rather a company who specializes in lets say a factory is short a person doing x for the day nd on the fly needs some someone to show up so they a company who provides this service. Or lets say a company is looking for a street team for a day or a week to advertise a new product or store opening. They would a company who provide this service and say "I need X amount of people to do X for X days..." You know what I mean?

I know this exists somewhere because I saw a group of people dressed in the same color shirts (with a product logo on it) handing out something. Out of curiosity I asked one of the girls how she got that job she described the type of agency who puts people to work for the day, showed up and was given that assignment for a week or two. I also once saw an ad in the Village Voice (I think it was) for this type of work for the service they provided to businesses where they provided temps for factories, labor, offices answering calls and doing filing as well as various "street team" positions... Both of these I've seen probably 2 to 3 maybe even four years ago, maybe the economy took it's toll on them or have become over loaded with people in this day and age looking for this type of work.

I actually used to and still do this type of work. I was a sampler for beer and we went around to bars and handed out t shirts and stuff. It takes 30-60 days from your work day to receive a check. It does make a lot of money tho...

Old 02-28-2010, 12:30 PM

OMG sampling beer! Now that's my type of job. lol

Old 02-28-2010, 02:36 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,475,916 times
No you don't have to wait 2-4 weeks to get a job or a paycheck. There are a ton of telemarketing places that will put you to work the day you apply or the day after. Most of those pay weekly so you will have a check in a week. Granted, those kinds of jobs suck but it's quick money when you're in a pinch. They probably only pay $11-$12/hour (plus bonuses) but it beats $0.

On top of that, you don't have to worry about quitting in 2 -4 weeks ---those jobs have such a high turnover, they're used to people quitting after a month. LOL!

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,146,159 times
Check the "gigs" area of craigsist, such as event gigs at new york city event gigs classifieds - craigslist

here is the url for all gigs http://newyork.craigslist.org/ggg/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: