Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 07:28 PM

176 posts, read 374,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the waiting game View Post
heard a rumor of hiring this September , possibly 200 new hires. Anyone else hear something similar ?
There are talks of a class(es) for the Fall. Most of us figure their waiting to bring in the new Tier 1st. They'd rather get people in under that Tier rather than the existing one. Not sure on the number they looking to hire though.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 PM

269 posts, read 497,006 times
What does the new tier mean?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 PM

184 posts, read 338,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreen6275 View Post
What does the new tier mean?
Tiers pertain to your retirement. The new tier whether it be tier five or six will negate the 20 years and out. Most likely it will be 25 years of service and a minimum age of 55 before you can retire. Also current San men pay a certain percentage into their pension for the first ten years of service before its negated. New tier members will have to pay the percentage (currently around 8%) throughout their entire career. Not sure if the percentage will remain the same for you new guys or not. This is something that will affect all new city employees not just Sanitation. It's still a great job but something to consider before accepting the position because if you are young (say 20 for argument's sake) you will have to hump garbage for 35 years before you can retire. Again the new tier hasn't been established yet so the terms are unclear but this is what they tried under Tier 5 before it was scrapped.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:29 PM

269 posts, read 497,006 times
That stinks. Wish they could start those new tiers for the next exam. But I am still gonna take the job. My wife just got a full time teaching position after being a substitute for two years. And I am in the next class. So looks like our hiring and retirement are gonna coincide with each other. So I guess that is a plus.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:37 PM

473 posts, read 932,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faubs110 View Post
Tiers pertain to your retirement. The new tier whether it be tier five or six will negate the 20 years and out. Most likely it will be 25 years of service and a minimum age of 55 before you can retire. Also current San men pay a certain percentage into their pension for the first ten years of service before its negated. New tier members will have to pay the percentage (currently around 8%) throughout their entire career. Not sure if the percentage will remain the same for you new guys or not. This is something that will affect all new city employees not just Sanitation. It's still a great job but something to consider before accepting the position because if you are young (say 20 for argument's sake) you will have to hump garbage for 35 years before you can retire. Again the new tier hasn't been established yet so the terms are unclear but this is what they tried under Tier 5 before it was scrapped.
the current tier is I believe 8.25% for the first ten years then you pay 5% and the city pays the other 3% for the next 10 years.
Honestly I think it is going to be very difficult for the union to agree on 25/55. Alot of guys stay 25 years, but imagine getting on at 21 and having to pick up garbage for 34 years. It will not happen.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:00 PM

176 posts, read 374,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAPES24 View Post
the current tier is I believe 8.25% for the first ten years then you pay 5% and the city pays the other 3% for the next 10 years.
Honestly I think it is going to be very difficult for the union to agree on 25/55. Alot of guys stay 25 years, but imagine getting on at 21 and having to pick up garbage for 34 years. It will not happen.
Don't be surprised if some sign up for it. There are other positions in this job where you wouldn't have to throw garbage/ recycling for your full career.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:54 PM

8 posts, read 17,898 times
I think there will be a new tier,but there is no way it will be 25/55 to retire.Ive heard talk about maybe 22 and a half or maybe even 25 yrs to retire,but thats it age wont matter.Harry would never sell us out like that.And you never know I think contract is up soon.New tier,new contract ? Harrys the man....

Old 06-23-2011, 10:33 AM

21 posts, read 38,699 times
Does any one know when the existing contract expires? And what will happen if new contract isn't agreed upon before old one expires?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:53 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardman5 View Post
Does any one know when the existing contract expires? And what will happen if new contract isn't agreed upon before old one expires?
The contract expires on Sept 20th. If they can't hammer out an agreement
before then and it expires they make another deadline and continue working under the expired contract.

Bear in mind that the current contract was reached just 4 months after the old one expired, that is a very short lag by city standards.

This next contract is either going to make or break the remainder of the 6063 list, since the unborn are a factor in the negotiations.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:11 PM

184 posts, read 338,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardman5 View Post

According to our business agent the contract either expires in August or September...forgot what he said.....we will work without a contract which is the norm of most if not all city agencies. You will receive a retro check if there is a pay increase (which I doubt) from the time the contract had expire to the time it has been ratified....and on that note I got my uniform check today after the civilian clerk put the letter in approx 2 weeks ago so new guys get on that if you want your money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City