Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:00 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
they all are crap. if i really had to choose i would choose king because its close to a good train, the 2/3 on 116th street.
you pick MLK over Rangel?didnt know rangel was that bad, rarely heard of them actually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 05:20 PM

8 posts, read 45,195 times
The downside to the Manhattan buildings on East 28th is the Men’s Shelter a block away on 29th and 1st Avenue and surrounding drug rehab clinics. Bellevue Hospital alone treats nearly 500,000 people every year is on 1st Avenue and all of people tend to "Hang Out" or trample pass these buildings daily (night and day).

There are numerous over-priced street vendors lining the avenues on 1st and 2nd at all hours creating litter, noise and loitering. In the summer time the over grown trees darken the streets where drug users, homeless men and non-residents lurk. Food shopping is a serious choir with small “expensive supermarkets” not geared to the NYCHA life style.

The buildings themselves had scaffolding for years which was recently removed. The lobbies are dirty, smelly and have hiding spots where people just hang around. The elevators are always breaking down. There is no landscaping with litter in its place. The nearly 100 trash bags lay on the sidewalk twice a week throughout the day creating a stench in the summertime and an obstacle year around.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,852 times
I would recommend St. Nicholas Houses because you are within distance to everything the A,B,C,D trains also 1,2,3, trains The bus right in front of the building goes to Times Square 125th Street is just 3 short blocks including Costco, BJ's Wholesale, Fairway, Casablanca Butcher's walking distance to Central Park and a host of fabulous resturants such as Melba's, Manna's Sylvia's Red Rooster Harlem Tavern and other great places to shop. The apartments are quite larger then most NYCHA Apartments with very high ceilings and looks like a house inside very large kitchens. Most people who live here have resided since the 70's or 80's. I myself have lived in my apartment since 2001 and am comfortable because I have been able to make changes such as painting cool colors and putting down checker board tiles you can buy your own stainless steel appliances if you can afford to shop at Ikea and your apartment will look very cool. I also am a musician so I have a rehearsal space in my apartment too. People are nice and watch out for each other although remember you are in New York City but I have never had a problem feeling safe in this neighborhood in fact it is the coolest neighborhood in Manhattan!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 PM

107 posts, read 272,872 times
The polo grounds are awful, do not live there even if you are paid.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:43 AM

5 posts, read 25,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheron.L View Post
I would recommend St. Nicholas Houses because you are within distance to everything the A,B,C,D trains also 1,2,3, trains The bus right in front of the building goes to Times Square 125th Street is just 3 short blocks including Costco, BJ's Wholesale, Fairway, Casablanca Butcher's walking distance to Central Park and a host of fabulous resturants such as Melba's, Manna's Sylvia's Red Rooster Harlem Tavern and other great places to shop. The apartments are quite larger then most NYCHA Apartments with very high ceilings and looks like a house inside very large kitchens. Most people who live here have resided since the 70's or 80's. I myself have lived in my apartment since 2001 and am comfortable because I have been able to make changes such as painting cool colors and putting down checker board tiles you can buy your own stainless steel appliances if you can afford to shop at Ikea and your apartment will look very cool. I also am a musician so I have a rehearsal space in my apartment too. People are nice and watch out for each other although remember you are in New York City but I have never had a problem feeling safe in this neighborhood in fact it is the coolest neighborhood in Manhattan!

Hello I got chosen out of a lottery and the development I choose was st. Nicholas houses. Can you please tell me some information about the building, how the apartments look etc. I qualify for a 3 bedroom. How long did you wait for your apartment and do you know anything about the outreach program.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,852 times
Default St. Nicholas Houses in Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthompson77 View Post
Hello I got chosen out of a lottery and the development I choose was st. Nicholas houses. Can you please tell me some information about the building, how the apartments look etc. I qualify for a 3 bedroom. How long did you wait for your apartment and do you know anything about the outreach program.
St. Nicholas Houses is several 14 story buildings spanning between Adam Clayton Powell BLvd. which is also (7th Avenue) and Frederick Douglass Blvd which is also (8th Avenue) These Apartments were once considered Housing Projects but are now considered Mithcell-Lamma Apartments. The Apartments are mixed use which houses low income as well as middle income and some higher income tenants. These buildings are considered a LandMark in Harlem. The apartments are very large with extra large kitchens. If you love to cook then you will love it. The bedrooms are very spacious and the hallways spand throughout the apartments. I do think that St. Nicholas Houses are the best kept buildings in Harlem because the tenants take pride in their surroundings and like I said the people who live here have lived here for years. I did'nt have to wait very long for my apartment. I do not know what outreach programs are or what you are referring to. But I do know that there are programs for people who want to start they're own business in New York City. The Harlem area is booming with Million Dollar property's and great restaurants. There are some people who would love to see this fail but it is inevitable that this place will soon be as profitable as Times Square so people are running fast to try to open up new restaurants and store fronts that will have some longevity in Harlem. Red Rooster is already a very famous restaurant in Harlem and many more will follow making this area the greatest place to live.

Last edited by Sheron.L; 08-09-2012 at 02:53 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 PM

11 posts, read 34,970 times
hello. I was offer an one bedroom apartment in manhattan at the east river houses, can anyone tell me how the apartments look and how the neighborhood is.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:21 PM

5 posts, read 25,363 times
Quote:
St. Nicholas Houses is several 14 story buildings spanning between Adam Clayton Powell BLvd. which is also (7th Avenue) and Frederick Douglass Blvd which is also (8th Avenue) These Apartments were once considered Housing Projects but are now considered Mithcell-Lamma Apartments. The Apartments are mixed use which houses low income as well as middle income and some higher income tenants. These buildings are considered a LandMark in Harlem. The apartments are very large with extra large kitchens. If you love to cook then you will love it. The bedrooms are very spacious and the hallways spand throughout the apartments. I do think that St. Nicholas Houses are the best kept buildings in Harlem because the tenants take pride in their surroundings and like I said the people who live here have lived here for years. I did'nt have to wait very long for my apartment. I do not know what outreach programs are or what you are referring to. But I do know that there are programs for people who want to start they're own business in New York City. The Harlem area is booming with Million Dollar property's and great restaurants. There are some people who would love to see this fail but it is inevitable that this place will soon be as profitable as Times Square so people are running fast to try to open up new restaurants and store fronts that will have some longevity in Harlem. Red Rooster is already a very famous restaurant in Harlem and many more will follow making this area the greatest place to live.

Thank you very much!! I'm so excited that I picked the right development!!!

Old 08-24-2012, 07:15 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
This post is actually funny in its extent of misinformation.

The St. Nicholas Houses are projects. Period. Nothing Mitchell Lama about them, although there has been talk of change. Crime. Litter. Garbage. Anti-socials. "No snitchin'." All of that fun.

This may improve somewhat given the Harlem Childrens' Zone project. Hard to know, and impossible to know how quickly. There have been significant real estate purchases, the ones I mention below and others. The new owners will not fool around, and they have already begun removing some of the anti-socials who have defined the area for too long.

The project residents fought the project every step of the way. Nonetheless, thankfully, it has gone forward. In addition, the project buildings will be opened to the street - also an excellent idea. One of the elderly native residents commented to me after a community meeting that the project residents were against opening the streets because it would give the police better access for pursuing criminals, who now disappear into the project grounds.

On St. Nicholas itself, there are two complexes of buildings that were meant to be Mitchell Lama but by a kind of default, basically became projects - defined by the population. There was a recent purchase of these properties, and the new owners WILL turn them around. Not sure how long it will take.

We lived a block away for more than 10 years. Frederick Douglass in the area of the St. Nicholas Houses, and far above, is truly awful. I still feel sorry for the decent people, and there are some. We had a great apartment, nonetheless every day I am grateful that we now longer live near there.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:59 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
I should add, for the original poster: I remembered that there was, beginning of the summer ? a month ago ?, a shooting into one of the basketball courts on the St. Nicholas Houses grounds, at least one person died, and that there have been a few other shootings on the grounds this summer. There was a shooting on FDB, outside the grounds, last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City