Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 06:03 PM

11 posts, read 39,448 times

Advertisements

Hi again, everyone.

Thanks again for the help in my previous post! I finally did figure out the hotel situation and have found an ideal place as well as a flight that works with the time I'll need to get into Manhattan.

I've been perusing sites for travel safety in the city, etc. Once again, I am a young (female) student and I must go to attend a workshop at CUNY. I've done lots of research and I think I'm just about good to go, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask some natives/residents here for your opinion. In case there are some areas to be avoided, etc., besides the general, don't walk down deserted streets / at night / ride the subway late / etc. That might be all - just general common sense - but I figured I'd check just in case. Or, if there is any area ettiquette I should know beforehand (I'm from the way-south, so...)

Secondly, I'm staying in Times Square, because it is relatively near the school, and because I figure I may as well do some of the tourist stuff while I'm there: the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, the ESB, etc. But on other boards, people have said how "non-New York" Times Square is, because of it being a rather touristy area. While I like the idea of staying in Times Square, since I'll only be there for a few days, I still would like to know which areas are indeed'real New York', so I don't miss out on that aspect, (which is whole reason I'd applied to the school there! )

I think that's it for now! I appreciate any answers/advice you have. And if you think there is something I should do/see while I'm there that isn't so obvious, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 07:32 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
No, for a tourist I think seeing Times Square is a good idea. Most Manhattanites hate Times Square, but then again a lot of people living in Manhattan these days are from Nebraska or some other such wasteland in the Midwest and haven't a clue whats going on.

Is this your first time visiting the city? Go see all of the touristy stuff, its fun for people out of town. If you're living here though, all that stuff becomes old fairly quickly.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,280 times
My daughter who is a first year college student in Boston wants to travel solo to NYC on Halloween weekend to visit other first year student college friends. None of them has traveled solo outside their prospective cities yet. I am concerned about safety during a potentially "crazy" weekend, not so much with her friends as with the general populace on the streets during halloween...particularly when she is transporting herself solo to and from. She would go by train (amtrak)...in on a Friday evening, out by Sunday noon. Does NYC get particularly crazy on Halloween? Looking for advice from someone who might relate to this issue!

Old 10-20-2009, 05:20 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Instead of going to the Statue of Liberty, you might want to take instead the Staten Island Ferry (which is free!) and provides an excellent view (& photo opportunity of the Statue of Liberty).
If you want to do touristy stuff, I would visit the Empire State Building for a good view of the city.
Other areas to visit would be Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, Central Park, Columbus Circle, the Village area (around Washington Square) and the downtown area including Wall Street, Battery Park City, South Street Seaport areas.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:36 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeone View Post
My daughter who is a first year college student in Boston wants to travel solo to NYC on Halloween weekend to visit other first year student college friends. None of them has traveled solo outside their prospective cities yet. I am concerned about safety during a potentially "crazy" weekend, not so much with her friends as with the general populace on the streets during halloween...particularly when she is transporting herself solo to and from. She would go by train (amtrak)...in on a Friday evening, out by Sunday noon. Does NYC get particularly crazy on Halloween? Looking for advice from someone who might relate to this issue!
I went to college in Massachusetts and used to come down for breaks all the time. That was back in the early 90s, and I never had a problem. They should go an see the parade in the Village (New York's Village Halloween Parade, Jeanne Fleming, Director). It's fun and very safe. It's a little bawdy, but nothing too outrageous. Frankly, I would much prefer my daughter (if I had one) go to New York than New Orleans or Miami.

If they don't get blind drunk, and New York bars are quite strict about carding, they should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: