Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:42 PM

220 posts, read 762,973 times

Advertisements

So I joined this organization Called City Year New York, if you don't know what it is...go look it up. But I'm from a small mountain town in Colorado and i'm moving to NEW YORK CITY!!!! I needed a change and you gotta learn some how right? But i have three other roommates who each want their own room and we only make like $200 a week. so obviously we aren't too wealthy. but i want to live somewhere at least kind of safe. After reading a blog about bed stuy AND the comments that came after it im absolutley petrified to go now! like honestly I'm going to take a defense class before i head out there. But i guess i should get to my point now huh? So to all you beautiful Native New Yorkers who know what you're talking about...what is an affordable yet safe neighborhood i can live in? thanks a bunch anything helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 08:56 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
There's actually a separate section devoted just to New York City -- your post will probably get more/better responses there.

As to your question, though -- there is absolutely NO way that you'll be able to find a 4BR apartment for anything less than $3,000 or so ANYwhere in the City. 1BR units in Manhattan commonly start at around $1,500 (and go WAY up), while you can probably get a 2BR for $2,000 or so in a not-cool neighborhood.

I don't know Bed Stuy personally, but I understand that some areas are "in transition," which means they're not totally bad. But probably not suitable for someone who's never lived in New York before.

You're simply going to have to re-assess your living situation. Four of you in a 2BR unit is do-able, but it'll run you close to $500/month each -- not including utilities.

Sorry .....

Old 07-10-2007, 09:07 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,044 times
This question is constantly brought up, and I always say certain neighborhoods in the Bronx.

How many of you are Irish? You might enjoy the Woodlawn section of the Bronx if you are. Van Cortlandt Village is cheap, extremely safe and quite diverse.

You can't get a 4 bedroom apartment if only 800 bucks is brought in within a week. You can get a two bedroom for around $1100 a month up here.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:18 PM

5 posts, read 35,243 times
Yonkers NY has big irish section

2 BR for around $1000

Close to NYC and all the burroughs

be in manhattan in 5 minutes

Old 07-10-2007, 09:21 PM

what if we arent irish? is it hard to be accepted into the community?

Old 07-10-2007, 09:37 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,044 times
No, you're fine. But there are a lot of Irish immigrants in the community (Woodlawn), so it's better if you are. There are quite a few Italians in the area as well.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:42 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
What? The Mics will definitley hate on their midwestern naivete. Stay the hell outta Woodlawn unless you want to brawl with some alcoholics up on Katonah. You definitely wouldn't fit in here.

Plus the only real Italian presence in this area is on one block next to the pizza parlor where they like to hang out on the corner and look pissed off at anyone who walks by.

Your whole plan doesn't seem like it will work. I would seriously suggest you have jobs lined up before you arrive here. Have you ever even visited the city? If not, I would definitely at least check out some neighborhoods before you make a major life decision and move to the other side of the country.

Furthermore the guy who said this area is 5 minutes away from Manhattan is crazy. Its 30 minutes using MetroNorth (which is expensive $6.25 during rush hour I believe) or the subway which takes forever, especially during rush hour.

People from the Midwest tend to move to the more hip and therefore expensive areas of the city. You're basically going to want to avoid the Bronx entirely. You should focus your search on Manhattan or on some neighborhoods in Brooklyn (Williamsburg seems like a good fit).

Wouldn't it just be easier for you guys to move to Denver?

Old 07-11-2007, 08:27 AM

i dont know if you actually read my blog but i joined an organization in NEW YORK helping NEW YORK KIDS!!!!! so it'd be a lil hard to commute five hour plane trip every day. plus City year gives us a $70 pass each month but thanks mead

Old 07-11-2007, 09:33 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
have they told you what schools you will be placed in yet? Will you be teaching in brooklyn or the bronx (or whatever)? That will make a big difference where you will want to focus your search.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:44 PM

well we have training for a month THEN they place us its like 8 different schools all over the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City