Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 6,683 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I have been reading this board and figured it might be helpful to go ahead and get some input from you guys....

I will be starting my residency mid June at Mount sinai Hospital in UES. I am very happy about starting but moving from California,i have to say that housing in NY is pretty pricey.

I will be sharing with my teenage sibling who is starting college at some yet known place in NY (likely manhattan). So here is my question

Are there any areas you would recommend within sayyyy 30min commute in a safe area for less than 1500 per month. This might not sound like a lot but we have to keep it under this so we can still afford to live

Thanks in advance for your input

TooHard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 09:07 PM

3 posts, read 12,340 times
Have you looked at the subsidized housing that Mt. Sinai offers??? I'm not sure how much it costs, but it's a place to start and it would be close to the hospital.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:07 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,204,974 times
I'd look at Astoria in Queens. It's affordable, safe, and should be about a 30 minute commute.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:41 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,941,951 times
I dated a few guys from Mt. Sinai and they all lived by the hospital in Sinai buildings...sure you will qualify...other then that. East harlem is a VERY up and coming area. You are not going to find very much not even in Astoria for $1500 maybe a studio or a rundown 1bed if your that lucky.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:08 AM

749 posts, read 2,457,582 times
You can definitely get a 1BR on the Upper East Side for $1500. Look on Craigslist, rentals have gone way down over the last few years as people have been losing their jobs and replacement tenants have been hard to find. Broker's fees paid by the tenant are pretty much non-existant now. The Upper East Side / Yorkville is really cheap now, it's the same cost as living in Astoria, although the apartments are much smaller.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
You can definitely get a 1BR on the Upper East Side for $1500. Look on Craigslist, rentals have gone way down over the last few years as people have been losing their jobs and replacement tenants have been hard to find. Broker's fees paid by the tenant are pretty much non-existant now. The Upper East Side / Yorkville is really cheap now, it's the same cost as living in Astoria, although the apartments are much smaller.
come on........serious.......you cant even find that in sunnyside or astoria... A flat in YORKVILLE LOL 1 bed is going to cost at least $2000 ant thats a walk up in a dingy building... Studios in sunnyside or astoria start about $1300 and 1bed about $1800 for decent and safe and the apartments in astoria and sunnyside are VERY LARGE they are mostly prewar.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:06 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,436,532 times
East Harlem is not for those who are inexperienced with New York City. It's a neighborhood in transition, and while the immediate area around Mount Siani is fine, other areas of East Harlem have nuances to the neighborhood where one needs to know the geography to know what streets are fine.

There are 1BRs on the UES around $1500 in walk-ups, and they will be small, but they do exist in the current market. Some may still require a broker's fee, however, but you may be able to negotiate on that point, especially if it's an older listing. Check The New York Times for real estate ads as well, since some ads on Craigslist stretch the truth.

And, there is no such place as the Upper Upper East Side as some have tried to market East Harlem. The UES ends at 96th Street, and the only adjacent areas that could fall under that umbrella are areas in the Carnegie Hill Historic District that does go above 96th Street, and areas in the immediate vicinity of Mount Sinai.

Astoria is another option, and few parts of Astoria could be described as unsafe. The areas may not be the most aesthetically pleasing, but the crime rates are not out of control.

If you could deal with a 45 minute express bus ride, and a walk of a couple of blocks, you could be in Riverdale. You would be able to get into a smaller 2BR in a decent building (not full service luxury, but respectable) for around $1500 or under. The only hassle is the commute, since you would rely on the BxM1 bus to Lex & 96th Street, which would be about 45 minutes. Other areas in Manhattan would require a slightly longer express bus ride/transition to the subway, or taking the subway from adjacent Kingsbridge or Riverdale adjacent to Van Cortlandt Park in the 240s. The 1 is a local and it's a long trip. You can be in Manhattan in under 30 minutes to Grand Central by taking Metro-North, but it can be significantly more expensive, and wouldn't help you get to Mount Sinai any faster.

You could also find a JR4 in your price range which would be a 1BR with an alcove that some use for a second sleeping area, though it can be a challenge as the alcoves are generally off the main living area of the apartment, but some layouts do lend themselves to a second sleeping area.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-22-2010, 02:34 AM

only thing Craigslist has for 1500 are VERY SMALL studios if anyone see's one of these UES 1beds for 1500 they should post it...and be a recent post so maybe this person can grab it...I just looked and NADA! just one broker who uses the SAME add every day month year showing a FAKE apt that is rented by the time you call.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:11 AM

No, they should not post a listing on the forum, rather they should send it via DM to the OP. Check The New York Times as well. There are walk-ups from legitimate brokerages for around $1500, not many, but they are there.

City-Data FAQs

Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
sorry but there is not one and there never are on craigslist and definitely not in the NYT...honestly don't get the persons hopes up...Any real estate broker will tell you the same no such thing exists...only thing you may see are fake ads for Real estate brokers to lure you in with a fake ad with a flat that is super low in rent only to tell you that was just rented but we have other flats for rent and the rents are triple. She will be lucky to find a l bed in Sunnyside for that price an that is also going to be VERY HARD.
I actually have checked it myself. There are few, but there are some as Biskit offered, and from legitimate agents. I do not consider Craiglist to be a viable source for rentals, personally, unless it's from an individual owner.

ETA: The key to the description of the 1BR for a low price on the UES (or neighboring areas of Carnegie Hill Historic District that are above 96th) as has been presented in this thrread is small, usually very small. Some studios are actually larger than these apartments, some of which were created from studios in an attempt to get a higher rent. And, given the nature of the business, prime neighborhoods, as I said previously, can still have a broker's fee for the apartments when they are great deals. Some are exclusives, and the brokers have managed the apartment for years, so they know how to price for the market conditions, making for the attitude that the reduction in rent does not necessarily reduce the broker's fee if the owner is not willing to absorb the fee.

City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-22-2010 at 11:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City