Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 09:09 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,926 times

Advertisements

Now, finally I am seriously considering purchasing a motor vehicle in NYC. I am either going to get a motorcycle or a car because I just can't take taking public transportation all the time to get me where I want.

As long as I live in NYC, I will always use public transportation but there's just some areas and certain times that I feel like having a car would be so much more convenient for me.

It all came to me when I was on a recent trip to visit a friend(s) in Long Island around the Great Neck area. I spent time with and I was coming from the Bronx. I took the QBX1 to Flushing Queens then took another bus to Great Neck (or little Neck forget which area and bus number) and during the day it wasn't so bad for me. It was a nice trip and I didn't have an issue.

Getting home was a different story, I had left let and didn't spend the night because I needed to be home early so I can get some things done. It took me forever to get back home and thats when I realized if I had a car I can be home in 25-40 minutes instead of 3 hours.

So now I really want to get a car so when I got to Far Rockaway, Coney Island etc I don't always have to take a very long (but usually enjoyable) train ride all the way from the Bronx. Unlike most people, I don't stay put in just one area or don't restrict myself from traveling so far since I love traveling. Its that I'm a busy guy and I'm tired of taking very long trips on the bus or train when I can be at home a lot earlier and getting things done faster.

However, what prevents me from getting a car in NYC is that I know I'll be spending a lot more money, and it seems like you can get a freaking ticket anytime, any place, for any reason. Then the cost of keeping of the car and then I hear the insurance on cars in NYC are pretty damn high.

I'll always use the public transportation while I am in NYC and I'll be using it more so than using my car or motorcycle (if I get one). For very long trips though around certain parts of the city, and for shopping (for big items like T.V.s, desk, etc) in other boroughs, I would LOVE to get a car.

However, can anyone fill me in about how much money it'll cost to keep up a car in NYC or NY state in general? Thanks a ton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 09:37 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Depends on many factors, including your age, your driving record, your previous insurance, your zip code, the age of the car, how much insurance you want (if you only want liability it's less, but you can't opt for this with new cars), etc.

Suggestion: choose a few cars you might see yourself driving - looking at online prices and reviews, and then call an insurance company for a quote or a few quotes if you are not sure which options you will choose.

If you are careful and pay attention to driving rules and parking signs, you won't get a ticket, most likely. I have heard of bogus tickets being given out and you might get one of those, but you can always fight that.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:40 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,926 times
Thanks Henna.

I just really want something basic but that looks nice as well. I'm looking forward to getting a regular mini-van or economy car. I'm not looking on getting anything too fancy. Right now, I honestly wouldn't want to.

In your opinion though, is it a pain to have a car in NYC?

Old 04-15-2010, 10:09 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
The only problem with a van is that some garages cannot take them, or will charge a surcharge, same as an SUV. And, should you want to park on the street, sometimes it's easier to find a spot for a car than a minivan, unless you were thinking of something like a Mazda5 which is not as large as regular minivan.

One thing that can help lower insurance, with some carriers, is Lo-Jack and garaging the vehicle, especially if they have higher claims in your area for vandalism, and general street damage.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-15-2010, 11:24 AM

747 posts, read 2,760,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Depends on many factors, including your age, your driving record, your previous insurance, your zip code, the age of the car, how much insurance you want (if you only want liability it's less, but you can't opt for this with new cars), etc.
Yup, depends on a lot of factors, so it's hard to generalize. Basically you're going to have to narrow it down to a few cars and then calculate the following largest expenses:

Purchase price (+ tax)
Insurance
Parking

If you're not driving a lot, then gas is not a huge headache for you.

There are plenty of places to get ideas on good new/used cars, such as Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:44 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
It is hard to generalize but I will give you an example:

I am a single male, over 26 and live in the South Bronx. Clean record (no tickets, etc). I do not use my cars for commuting (I ride the trains) and they are parked off-street. This is my insurance and rates with Geico:

1999 Lexus RX300 (suv): just liability, paying about $950 a year.
2010 Mercedes E350 4Matic (sedan): full coverage, about $2,100 per year.

Garage parking in my neighborhood ranges from $100 for outdoor lots, to about $150 for indoor garages.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 04-15-2010 at 12:18 PM..

Old 04-15-2010, 12:45 PM

91 posts, read 258,479 times
There are so many factors that go into an insurance rate. Credit, location, age, prior insurance, prior insurance limits, driving record, and so on.....

Personally I could never live without a car and I live din the Bronx for 21 year sof my life, but thats me. Good Luck in your decision!!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:02 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
Have you thought about just using zipcar when you need a car, if you're only going to need it infrequently?

Old 04-15-2010, 01:45 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
Yes zipcar is a good resource. If you live in the South Bronx area, we have one parked outside of the Staples in the Hub area (by 156th and 3rd Ave), and also one in the Gateway Center Parking facility (by 153rd and the Deegan).

Old 04-16-2010, 04:37 PM

904 posts, read 2,874,101 times
There are many, many variables - keeping a brand new Mercedes in a garage in Manhattan is going to cost a lot more than parking an old Toyota on the street in Queens.

The first thing is where you live, but frankly I don't know a whole lot about the Bronx, so not sure I can help much there.

Parking also depends. If you have the money, I'd spring for a dedicated spot, unless you live in a 'hood with relatively easy street parking. Some closer-in neighborhoods (eg, Williamsburg), have surprisingly easy street parking. Some further-out ones (eg, Sheepshead Bay) have surprisingly difficult street parking. So pay attention to that.

Call around for insurance quotes before you buy a car. Geico tends to be pretty reasonable, but it varies. The best thing you can do, honestly, is get a dependable older car and just get liability. A 10-year-old Honda, say, will do you just fine. There's no reason to spring for a luxury car if you're not going to be driving it every day, and you'll probably acquire some dings and scratches, anyway.

Finally, here is my secret for avoiding parking tickets: Read the damn signs! If the sign says you need to move your car for street cleaning by 11am, make sure it is moved by 11am. If the meter is for two hours, realize that this does not mean two hours and three minutes. I honestly believe that people who rack up several hundred dollars in parking tickets every year are just plain careless. You'll probably get one from time to time, but it will not be an onerous burden if you simply pay attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City