Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:33 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
My professor at John Jay college during an Race and ethncity course told me that NYC is actually a Jewish town, like how Boston is for the Irish, the Chicago for the Polish and Atlanta for African Americans. 50 years ago 1 in 4 new yorkers were actually Jewish, they where the largest ethinic group in this city at that time. If im not Mistaken today Jews are probably the second largest ethnic group after African Americans. Jewish niegborhoods in this city are, Riverdale in the Bronx and Coop City which has many Soviet and Russian jewish refugees. In Manhattan Upper West Side has an heavy influx of jews, as a doorman Every second I see a Hasiadics walk by every other minute, Washington Hieghts has small number of jews who did not leave. Brooklyn jews live in Williamsburg, Midwood, crown hieghts,sheepshead bay and Brighton Beach. Queens Jews im not sure about, I only visit that borough only to use the airports! As for Brigoton Beach jews, I knew a few of them, they are actually ethnic jews, but some do not worship judiasm due to decades of Soviet Ahtiesm. They used Jewish clause to escape the Soviet Union and settle in Israel and later America.
About 12 percent of New Yorkers call themselves Jewish. I have no proof as of this moment to back up that 1 in 4 New Yorkers 50 years ago were Jewish, but would be very surprised if that were true. About 2 percent or 1.4 percent (depending on the source) of Americans call themselves Jewish. I use the term, "call themselves Jewish" because the authenticity of Jewish identity is a separate controversial topic.

To be more precise, your professor should be comparing Irish Catholics as opposed to Irish Protestants in terms of a city's demographics and the same with the Jewish population. Judiasm is a relgion, not a nationality. Eastern Jews, East European Jews, Ethopian Jews, Spanish Jews have different customs, languages, music, and cuisine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 01:16 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
About 12 percent of New Yorkers call themselves Jewish. I have no proof as of this moment to back up that 1 in 4 New Yorkers 50 years ago were Jewish, but would be very surprised if that were true. About 2 percent or 1.4 percent (depending on the source) of Americans call themselves Jewish. I use the term, "call themselves Jewish" because the authenticity of Jewish identity is a separate controversial topic.

To be more precise, your professor should be comparing Irish Catholics as opposed to Irish Protestants in terms of a city's demographics and the same with the Jewish population. Judiasm is a relgion, not a nationality. Eastern Jews, East European Jews, Ethopian Jews, Spanish Jews have different customs, languages, music, and cuisine.
The number of Jews in New York City soared throughout the beginning of the 20th century and reached a peak of 2 million in the 1950s, when Jews constituted one-quarter of the city's population. The number of Jews in New York City soared throughout the beginning of the 20th century and reached a peak of 2 million in the 1950s, when Jews constituted one-quarter of the city's population. The above source was from wikipedia even though there sources are not much reliable in an acedemic sense.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:32 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You're right; there are more Jews in New York than Tel Aviv...but not all of Israel.
i was off ... but i found this and it is interesting about the amount of Jews we do have compared to Israel.

Demographics of New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have a Gut Shabbos

Old 04-30-2010, 07:39 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
i was off ... but i found this and it is interesting about the amount of Jews we do have compared to Israel.

Have a Gut Shabbos
I almost fell off my chair when I read that by 2030 the NewYork "region" will have a population of 30 million....what do they mean by that? tri-state area? 5 boros/long island/westchester/rockland counties?

Old 04-30-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I almost fell off my chair when I read that by 2030 the NewYork "region" will have a population of 30 million....what do they mean by that? tri-state area? 5 boros/long island/westchester/rockland counties?
No thats the New York Tristate region, the 5 broughs including nassau and Suffolk counties of Long Island. The counties westchester and rockland. New Jersery counties of essex and Bergen county. Conniticut and North Eastern Pennslyvania. Together thats 30 million people hovering around the New York Area.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:01 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
The current number is 20 million.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:09 AM

423 posts, read 1,281,125 times
The bus I've been using recently (B9) cuts through mostly jewish neighborhoods it's whole ride. It passes through Borough Park and then goes down avenue M in Midwood I believe... basically if you ever take that bus you'll see the heart of the brooklyn jewish communities.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
The number of Jews in New York City soared throughout the beginning of the 20th century and reached a peak of 2 million in the 1950s, when Jews constituted one-quarter of the city's population. The number of Jews in New York City soared throughout the beginning of the 20th century and reached a peak of 2 million in the 1950s, when Jews constituted one-quarter of the city's population. The above source was from wikipedia even though there sources are not much reliable in an acedemic sense.
Could you back that up with a reliable source or perhaps a link? The reason I was doubtful is because during the 1950s, large numbers of people started to migrate to the suburbs, such as Levittown. Thank you for any information that you are able to provide.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Could you back that up with a reliable source or perhaps a link? The reason I was doubtful is because during the 1950s, large numbers of people started to migrate to the suburbs, such as Levittown. Thank you for any information that you are able to provide.

click on the link and scroll down to Jewish. All the information is there. There is also a chart which shows that the nyc population declined heavly in the 70s and stagnated in the 80s. Im assuming the white flight picked up heavly in the 70s in new york city.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-01-2010 at 01:35 AM..

Old 05-01-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:

click on the link and scroll down to Jewish. All the information is there. There is also a chart which shows that the nyc population declined heavly in the 70s and stagnated in the 80s. Im assuming the white flight picked up heavly in the 70s in new york city.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City