Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 05:24 PM

42 posts, read 100,491 times

Advertisements

Jackinyc, thanks -- yes I'm really really determined. I just need to get lucky and hopefully an employer would pick out my resume from the thousands of applicant. That I can't really control.

Fred314X, thanks for the site. I've bookmarked The Village Voice. Any site I can utilize to my advantage, I'll dot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 05:56 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saints View Post
Nightcrawler, I'd definitely trade with you. Yes the weather here is like in the 60s-80s all year round, but it's overrated. I've been living here for over 20 years and this city is really dull. I came to NYC back in 2005 for a week and I felt more attached to the city than I ever did with San Diego.

Fred314X, good point on the job thing -- I'll keep that mind. The views on California differs from person to person I guess. Though I do like the nice weather and beaches, I'm not happy here at all.

See that is how I feel about NY, over rated. But then I am older, I did all the mega clubs to death and then some, have memories of the really gritty west side dance clubs.......

So a dull city LOL, would be just fine for me now...
But I def understand you,so come here and enjoy !!!

The job market is a little hard, as usual.
Good Luck to you...........

Old 05-15-2010, 05:08 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
$750 should be doable for a room in a share. My advice would be just to not show up broke. Sell stuff, save, simplify/downsize lifestyle. There's plenty of restaurant and hospitality related jobs to go around if you're not afraid to work hard and just scrape by for awhile, but something better could take some patience, so you'd need a heathly cash reserve to lean on for a bit.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:41 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,968 times
I think 3 months to get a good job is optimistic in this economy. But you might find something else to tide you over in the meantime.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:55 PM

42 posts, read 100,491 times
Yeah I figured 3 months won't do it to get a good job, but I'm optimistic I can get at least something down to hold me over for awhile... even in this economy. I'm only bringing clothes, a laptop(job hunt, photo & video editing gigs), and camera equipment(in case for photography gigs). I'm selling any miscellaneous stuff that I have.

I've been keeping spreadsheets of my expenses and such over the past year here. I'm use those figures and projecting/calculating what my expenses may be over in NYC. I know there are a lot of uncertainties, but it helps to get an idea.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:23 PM

82 posts, read 315,681 times
I don't know why you believe being physically in the city is necessary or has any advantage in finding a job. That definitely never been my experience. Everything is done by phone and email. Face to face meeting is the very last stage when the decision is basically made.Number two. It's much easier to survive on little money in San Diego than in NYC. It's likely you significantly underestimate the amount of money you need to be as comfortable in NYC as you are used to. Your rent target is very low, you might find such living intolerable.
Number three. NYC in most respects when it comes to quality of life, weather, etc. is a hellhole compared to SD. Even if you find a satisfactory job here, you might still hate living here.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:32 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,294 times
I myself am contemplating this move as I have had more bites on my resume in the Jersey/NYC area(I'm in ATL..and love it but the market has dried up). I have already had interviews out there and I think I may chance the move. My budget is around $900/ month and I have personally visited some properties in different boro's for that price. I own a 1,200 sg/ft. condo and cant fathom sharing a bathroom with two other people right now. But I have a friend and her mom has a three family house in the Bronx so if I rent a room I would rather pay her.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:17 PM

142 posts, read 418,730 times
You can find a place in those areas for 750 but be prepared to sleep with one eye open. Shoot for 950.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:18 PM

142 posts, read 418,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
I myself am contemplating this move as I have had more bites on my resume in the Jersey/NYC area(I'm in ATL..and love it but the market has dried up). I have already had interviews out there and I think I may chance the move. My budget is around $900/ month and I have personally visited some properties in different boro's for that price. I own a 1,200 sg/ft. condo and cant fathom sharing a bathroom with two other people right now. But I have a friend and her mom has a three family house in the Bronx so if I rent a room I would rather pay her.
Same here Slim...I'm from ATL and the market there is pretty bad. I found a job here in NYC after looking for a few weeks.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 AM

10 posts, read 20,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noladarling View Post
Same here Slim...I'm from ATL and the market there is pretty bad. I found a job here in NYC after looking for a few weeks.
Oops I haven't been on for a few days... Anyway, Noladarling, did you find a job while you were still in ATL? Or did you find a job while in NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City