Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:58 PM

118 posts, read 443,665 times

Advertisements

Okay ladies and gentlemen... this thread is all about the NYC dating scene. In your experience, is it good or bad? What do you like/dislike about it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 10:49 PM

243 posts, read 1,333,967 times
Well , I'm married , but I'd have to guess on a scale of 1-10 it would be like this :

If you're a loser ... a 1.

If you're a winner ... a 10.

If you're neither extreme but somewhere in between ... hmmm ... I'd rate it between a 2 and a 9.

What I liked about it when I was dating : not getting rejected.

What I didn't like about it when I was dating : getting rejected.

Fortunately for me , the former happened more than the latter.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:46 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,190 times
Am I allowed to use a negative number?

Old 05-20-2010, 04:53 AM

966 posts, read 2,445,960 times
Pretty low, my friend, pretty low. Unless by dating you mean hookups, one-night-stands, etc. It's not impossible. Until I reached my middle years, I was one of the lucky ones. Many New Yorkers don't seem to be too interested in long-term commitments, or even dating for any length of time. Dating if taken lightly can be fun. With the wrong person, imo, it can also be scary and exploitative. I call it consumer dating. Easy for a person who is fine with this mentality. Not easy for someone who thinks that even dating should be meaningful as well as fun, with each person being treated as a person not as an interchangeable object. I'd give it a 5. Meaning it's a 50:50 gamble.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:31 AM

186 posts, read 219,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Pretty low, my friend, pretty low. Unless by dating you mean hookups, one-night-stands, etc. It's not impossible. Until I reached my middle years, I was one of the lucky ones. Many New Yorkers don't seem to be too interested in long-term commitments, or even dating for any length of time. Dating if taken lightly can be fun. With the wrong person, imo, it can also be scary and exploitative. I call it consumer dating. Easy for a person who is fine with this mentality. Not easy for someone who thinks that even dating should be meaningful as well as fun, with each person being treated as a person not as an interchangeable object. I'd give it a 5. Meaning it's a 50:50 gamble.
If I could give you like, 4 MILLION reputation points, I would.

You are *spot on* about consumer dating. My self esteem holds easily to all the other hot chicks around (I'm smokin' on a good day )- but it's the prevalent egotism, spoiledness, elusivity and even sometimes, vague misogyny/ambivalence towards women of the men in this city that I found most deeply disheartening and demoralizing.

On a more tragic note, as a native New Yorker who's never traveled much, at 33 I only came upon this realization after I started specifically researching it. I had simply always assumed that all men are pigs and most women flaky (no offense, I am truly just being honest). People usually laugh at me if the word monogamy or marriage comes out of my mouth, in any context. After I spent about a year of my life (probably the most romantically fruitful one ever) on researching the topic it turns out, IT'S JUST NEW YORK CITY. And I am leaving.

I have links and anecdotes, if you're interested.

Last edited by susangggg; 06-22-2010 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 10:49 AM

186 posts, read 219,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
If you're a loser ... a 1.

I'd like to edit your post to make it more accurate, like this:

If you're a man:

If you're a loser ... a 10.

If you're a woman:

If you're a loser ... a -1000.

If you're a winner ... a -1000.

You're welcome.

Ever notice how if you look for opinions about dating in NYC of men as opposed to women - the women are consistently much less content in them? It's the high female to male ratio and the fashion industry....just my 2cents.

Last edited by susangggg; 06-22-2010 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 11:16 AM

596 posts, read 895,552 times
I have to say that it all depends on two things:

* Your age
* Your relationship goal

If you are young and just to want to have fun, NYC offers variety of people to have fun with.

If you are not young (not necessarily mean old) and want to have something more than just casual dates, you will have a hard time, finding a desirable partner (This may be true anywhere, not just NYC).

If you are older than 35 and still single and want to live in NYC, you will only meet people who are either not capable of having a relationship or want to remain single forever.

Just my 2 cents.

Atsushi

Old 06-22-2010, 11:40 AM
grant516

n/a posts
I find New Yorkers rediculously geo-centric when it comes to relationships. Rarely would friends in Manhattan date someone in Queens, or anyone on earth date anyone from Staten Island.

10-15 miles isn't a long distance relationship in my book.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:00 PM

966 posts, read 2,445,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susangggg View Post
If I could give you like, 4 MILLION reputation points, I would.

You are *spot on* about consumer dating. My self esteem holds easily to all the other hot chicks around (I'm smokin' on a good day )- but it's the prevalent egotism, spoiledness, elusivity and even sometimes, vague misogyny/ambivalence towards women of the men in this city that I found most deeply disheartening and demoralizing.

On a more tragic note, as a native New Yorker who's never traveled much, at 33 I only came upon this realization after I started specifically researching it. I had simply always assumed that all men are pigs and most women flaky (no offense, I am truly just being honest). People usually laugh at me if the word monogamy or marriage comes out of my mouth, in any context. After I spent about a year of my life (probably the most romantically fruitful one ever) on researching the topic it turns out, IT'S JUST NEW YORK CITY. And I am leaving.

I have links and anecdotes, if you're interested.

Hey thanks. But sorry you are leaving. We could have done lunch or something. I tried moving back to my alma mater, Madison WI, and after about a year found the people here to be just as problematic on the dating and on the friendship scene: thoughtless, careless, greedy, consumerist, flaky, and very into hookups. Not my scene. Not into games, and people are not playthings, boys and girls. lol. I'm heading back to NYC, which will be a great career move for me, both in terms of my paid work and my artistic work. I have great friends and a sense of community--lotsa love in my life--but I am starting to wonder if my romantic love life is just about over for me at 48. Tryin' to keep hope alive, as they say, but darned if so many New Yorkers do tend to worship youth.

I would love some links. I find that having knowledge, even stats, puts it all into perspective and takes much if not all of the personalization out of it. You must know that you are a wonderful person, even if you are not a hot property (yuck) in the dating marketplace. If it is meant to be, the right person will recognize you as the special or unique person that you are--a woman who is not for sale. Just my take on it.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:21 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
I find New Yorkers rediculously geo-centric when it comes to relationships. Rarely would friends in Manhattan date someone in Queens, or anyone on earth date anyone from Staten Island.

10-15 miles isn't a long distance relationship in my book.
Not in most cities but it is in New York if take the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City