Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 09:48 AM

23 posts, read 152,425 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a moving to Manhattan with 2 friends of mine who just graduated college. We have jobs lined up, but they haven't started so they have no paystub / etc. They are recent grads so the past 2 years of tax returns won't give any relevant income information. We are working in Finance. One of my roommates is overseas and the other is in Maryland - they won't be back until Mid-June. They are trusting me to find a place and if possible, sign a lease while they are away. We are looking to move in on July 1st.

What materials should I tell them to scan and send to me via e-mail so I am prepared to meet with brokers and sign on the spot if I like it? (I am from NYC so I am very picky when it comes to apartments.) Obviously I will tell them to scan their offer letter (which lists salary), bank statements, Social Security Number, and Driver's License. What else should I tell them to give to me? Would it be a problem if they are not physically present to sign? I don't want to miss out on a great place because they are not available for the next couple of weeks.

Also, one of them is not a US Citizen, but a US Resident - would that be a problem? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 11:19 PM

Bump

Old 05-30-2010, 07:48 PM

Bump

Old 05-31-2010, 02:54 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
I think you would have to ask the landlord what paper work they need. Are they able to work legally in the US?

Old 05-31-2010, 04:42 PM

747 posts, read 2,758,950 times
Depending on the building, you may need a guarantor. Some bldg mgmt co's even require the guarantor to be a resident of NY or the tri-state. Hopefully the offer letters showing you guys making a combined 40x the total rent should be enough, assuming no credit issues on anyone's history.

Being a US PR (permanent resident aka green card holder) should not be a problem at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City