Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:52 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
seriously doe? i feel that nyc is far more west indian then black american, now i even think i see more africans before black americans.

idk maybe its because i spend to much time in brooklyn and queens
There is way more african american americans then west indians and africans in nyc. Try canarsie bed for styuvasant and east new york for brooklyn. For the bronx try mt eden williams bridge west of bronx wood avenue and coop city. Also check out southside jamaica queens and cambria hieghts. I can't speak for harlem since the black population in harlem is on the decline and many former residents are going back down south to the bible and sun belt. many of the cities housing projects are filled with african americans. Maybe if the trend of declining african american population in the city continues, maybe groups such as dominicans jamaicans haitians trinidadians and africans may fill in the void that africans left behind in the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 12:57 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
There is way more african american americans then west indians and africans in nyc. Try canarsie bed for styuvasant and east new york for brooklyn. For the bronx try mt eden williams bridge west of bronx wood avenue and coop city. Also check out southside jamaica queens and cambria hieghts. I can't speak for harlem since the black population in harlem is on the decline and many former residents are going back down south to the bible and sun belt. many of the cities housing projects are filled with african americans. Maybe if the trend of declining african american population in the city continues, maybe groups such as dominicans jamaicans haitians trinidadians and africans may fill in the void that africans left behind in the city
i agree with you except for 2 areas. canarsie does not have many afro Americans at all, i live 10 minutes away lol, that area is jamaican and haitian to the bone with other caribs after it.

same with cambria heights its mostly jamaican, and haitian with a lot of jamaican/haitian busnesses. are you sure you dont mean hollis instead of cambria heights

Old 06-06-2010, 01:13 AM

I'm sure that cambria hieghts has a lot of african americans also st albans. Where ever there is a large african population there is a chance to find some west indian folks aswell. Canarsie is a mixed bags. I remember when canarsie used to be italian!

Old 06-06-2010, 01:17 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
I'm sure that cambria hieghts has a lot of african americans also st albans. Where ever there is a large african population there is a chance to find some west indian folks aswell. Canarsie is a mixed bags. I remember when canarsie used to be italian!
yea i heard stories of canarsie being italian just recent in the 90,s and haitians and jamaicans ust taking over. wow i have been going to canarsie since i was little and i guess i never noticed that it could be italian lol, it always felt black to me.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:14 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,981 times
Quote:
If im not mistaken most blacks in have southern heritage which can be will over a million. After aferican americans its the jamaicans which have heavy cocentrations around williiams bridge and white plains, and white plains road section of the bronx and crown hiegths in brooklyn. Then comes haitians and trinidadiansm reside in bk. Bronx has many africans. So far the best answer most blacks in nyc come from the south because of the great migration.

You may be right..

Old 06-06-2010, 03:54 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
I tought Puerto Ricans were # 1.

There are definitely more Ricans than Dominicans. And I seriously doubt Jamaicans are # 1.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I tought Puerto Ricans were # 1.

There are definitely more Ricans than Dominicans. And I seriously doubt Jamaicans are # 1.

No Puerto Ricans arent number one I think they are 3rd after Jews and Blacks. So far Puerto Rican population in the city has been declining steadly. In the Bronx Dominicans might surpass Puerto Ricans soon. I live in Mott Haven, I grew up mostly Puerto Rican niegborhood and even I say where did all the Ricans go? No official numbers wont be released until the census is completed. Jamaicans arent number one there no where near the the top ten.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 PM

27 posts, read 90,148 times
I can't put it in a particular order but the ethnicities I come across most are:

Italian, Jewish, Black, Puerto Rican, Jamaican, Chinese, Dominican, Russian and Indian (I could only think of 9)

Old 06-06-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xqnzchickx View Post
I can't put it in a particular order but the ethnicities I come across most are:

Italian, Jewish, Black, Puerto Rican, Jamaican, Chinese, Dominican, Russian and Indian (I could only think of 9)
The Irish are probably number ten. There used to be millions of Irish in nyyc there are about less then half a million of them here in nyc.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:46 PM

Traditionally the main ethnic groups in Nyc are the Irish, Jews, Italians, African Americans and Puerto Ricans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City