Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:25 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,226 times

Advertisements

Although I am an RN, I was a little surprised that NY is actually in the #1 position- thought I would pass this along with some info from the CDC.

People moving to the northeast should also be aware that their dogs need to be vaccinated against lyme; in many states it is not a concern and vets do not routinely recommend vaccination for dogs. Our dog was positive for lyme disease within three months after moving to NY from Nebraska (a very low incidence state).

http://module.lymediseaseassociation...008summary.pdf

Lyme Disease Association | Total Lyme Cases Reported by CDC 1990 - 2008

DVBID: Home Page | CDC Lyme Disease

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/lyme_brochure.pdf

Chapter 5 - Lyme Disease - 2010 Yellow Book | CDC Travelers' Health

Last edited by marska; 10-27-2010 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 07:02 AM

93,293 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Ok and it is real, but considering the population, the long time period and the location of the state(it is named after a town in CT), that doesn't mean that it is necessarily an epidemic. Maybe in parts of the state, but I don't hear too much about it in my area.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:55 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,831 times
You may not hear too much about where you are right now but probably soon. Ticks are all over the Hudson River Valley and spreading. We visited family in the Albany area a couple years ago, our dog just ran around in the yard. When we got back to WNY we noticed a tick. We took her to the vet who removed it and found 2 more. Luckily after testing the ticks it was determined they weren't carriers. Our vet in WNY said while it is rare to see ticks in WNY she was seeing them more and more. Our family in the Albany area said it is pretty common for dogs to have ticks on them now and they worry about their kids. It is something people should be concerned about. What's even more interesting is trying to figure out why it so high in the area.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
You may not hear too much about where you are right now but probably soon. Ticks are all over the Hudson River Valley and spreading. We visited family in the Albany area a couple years ago, our dog just ran around in the yard. When we got back to WNY we noticed a tick. We took her to the vet who removed it and found 2 more. Luckily after testing the ticks it was determined they weren't carriers. Our vet in WNY said while it is rare to see ticks in WNY she was seeing them more and more. Our family in the Albany area said it is pretty common for dogs to have ticks on them now and they worry about their kids. It is something people should be concerned about. What's even more interesting is trying to figure out why it so high in the area.
Yeah, that is interesting and I wonder if there is a certain carrier that has something to do with it. Here's more on the disease: Lyme disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-29-2010, 06:15 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Considering that New York State is the biggest state in size and population in the highly wooded Northeast, I don't think this is a suprise at all.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:41 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
Your vet may want to consider the ticks are expanding in the large amounts of areas which have deer. Making it worse is the massive surge in the coyote population ( yes, they have ticks). We have our daughters brush their own dogs like mad and check them for ticks if they are out in the brush ( they need it for burrs anyway). Dress your kids in long sleeves /tuck in tail light colors shirts ( esp. turtlenecks) and make sure if they go in the brush, you pull the socks over the jeans. ticks generally get you between the knee and armpit area -- they hang onto brush and fall on to you.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:17 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,140 times
I've gotten bit twice by infected ticks here in Dutchess County. Not fun-the fever-bullseye and the antibiotics are not my idea of a good time. I got one at a soccer field while watching my kids play soccer, the other taking my Girl Scout troop camping. Two opposite areas to find them. I was doing everything they said before hand, the ticks obviously haven't read the manual.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Considering that New York State is the biggest state in size and population in the highly wooded Northeast, I don't think this is a suprise at all.
Exactly and if you look at the map, it looks like other states have a higher rate per capita. Connecticut looks to be pretty high.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:47 AM

379 posts, read 512,659 times
DVBID: Incidence | CDC Lyme Disease

It seems like the epicenter is NJ, CT, Eastern NY and Massachusetts. Western NY is not as bad.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:15 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Dressing inappropriately in long grasses is just asking for ticks. Besides the reason of ticks, your legs get scratched up. People need to mow their lawns or dress appropriately for their activities. That's like blaming a broken ankle on the hiking trail when some idiot is wearing heels. I grew up running around the fields and woods of rural upstate NY and never got a tick... neither did anyone we know. Wait, no. One of my city-girl friends got one after walking through the field in shorts and flip flops, after I told her to put on a pair of pants and sneakers. She didn't. After the walk, her legs were all scratched up and bloody - told her they would be, grasses are tricky and you don't feel the scrapes until the end, when they suddenly start to burn - and I noticed a tick on the back of her leg... drew it out by putting a lighter near it and flicked it off.

Dogs? Yes. Different species are more susceptile to some things than other species. Dogs can pick up all kinds of things if they're running through long grasses... like burrs. Everyone we knew brushed out their dogs after letting them through the fields after a long, loose run. Common sense, people- good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York