Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 03:20 PM

2,171 posts, read 3,317,534 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is it, but it is a location just to the west of Ithaca.

Enfield board set to recommend wind tower regulations
By Tim Ashmore
Journal Staff

ENFIELD — The Enfield Town Planning Board is set to recommend minimum set-back standards for wind towers for a proposed wind farm.

The 400-foot turbines must be set a minimum of 600 feet from property lines, power line and roads unless an easement can be obtained.

The Ithaca Journal - www.theithacajournal.com - Ithaca, NY

tashmore@ithacajournal.com

Originally published September 6, 2007

Last edited by bellafinzi; 09-13-2007 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 08:39 PM

914 posts, read 2,919,725 times
600 ft. doesn't seem very much. Don't some town boards require over 1,000 ft. or more? Maybe this will not be near a residential area.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:26 AM

4 posts, read 13,818 times
600 ft ????!!!!!!

ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR MINDS???

check out this site: Articles by Nina Pierpont - Nina Pierpont MD PhD

setbacks need to be 1.5-2 miles at minimum. people's lives are being ruined

Old 09-14-2007, 09:40 AM

417 posts, read 1,891,633 times
Thanks for that link Ron- interesting articles.

The sad truth is the siting has more to do with economics and externalization of costs. The turbines go up where it is cheapest to put them, meaning as close to already existing infrastructure as possible, which often happens to be close to roads, housing, etc. The ruined health or quality of life of the locals isn't something the developer has to bear.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:44 AM

It is unbelievable to me how anyone could think having an enourmous 400+ foot structure of industial power generation anywhere close to people's homes will not negatively impact their lives. The greed and ignorance just astounds me.

My wife and I recently bought 20 acres and an old farmhouse in Harpersfield which is right next to Stamford. And although there are currently no proposals for wind turbines in Harpersfield, the town council is currently "researching" in order to write a zoning code for wind turbines. I plan on giving them some of the research I have found. But the head of the zoning board already has a "I'm for Clean Energy" sign on his lawn so I don't hold out any hopes of a reasonable zoning ordinance.

We had planned on moving up there full time in a couple years but there's no way that will happen if there are steel monstrocities all around me humming, whining and whoompfing away.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:12 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,679 times
Ron, if you do a search here, you will see this whole topic was deeply and passionatly discussed. Please read the entire thread-it is chock full of info that you NEED TO KNOW!

Also, I am in your area, and am well-versed on the history and present for this area and turdines.

PLEASE check these sites out-
Bovina Industrial Wind Energy Project - Delaware County, New York (http://www.allianceforbovina.org/wind.html - broken link) good example of the power of an organized group
Cohocton* free! LOTS of dirty doings here to read and prepare for
Western Catskill Preservation Alliance Stamford's site-good for you to know
www.windaction.org | Welcome - great for all wind info

As you can tell, I live in an area that ALMOST fell prey to this and am obviously against them. We fought long and hard and learned a lot in the process, good and bad.

Get prepared NOW, it is never too early. We found that making it clear to the town board as SOON as we caught wind of it that we would NOT allow them to do this quietly, secretly, or underhandedly. We kept them on their toes, made it hard, and we "won" by only 1 vote-too close, I can't imagine what would have happened if we had not rallied as we did.

Keep us posted, let us know if you need help, advise-for we are all together on this one across the US

Old 09-14-2007, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the info and support. I have already sent in my donation to the WCPA and plan on paying a visit to my town supervisor and zoning board chairman this weekend to let them know of my concern.

I guess the next step will be to start making calls on my neighbors to let them know what is potentially happening. In a kind of demented way I am hoping that they build the turbines in Stamford so the people in Harpersfield can see how horrible they are and fight them here. I am afraid if Stamford fights them successfully, they will just move next door and build them in Harpersfield. I know that is horrible to say. Obviously I would prefer that they are not built in either town.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:53 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONROSA View Post
Thanks for the info and support. I have already sent in my donation to the WCPA and plan on paying a visit to my town supervisor and zoning board chairman this weekend to let them know of my concern.

I guess the next step will be to start making calls on my neighbors to let them know what is potentially happening. In a kind of demented way I am hoping that they build the turbines in Stamford so the people in Harpersfield can see how horrible they are and fight them here. I am afraid if Stamford fights them successfully, they will just move next door and build them in Harpersfield. I know that is horrible to say. Obviously I would prefer that they are not built in either town.

Hey good for you! You should also contact your town board members and ask them directly (for what it's worth) do they have or have they been considering wind energy. Also if they have been approached by any developers. If they have been it is unlikely you will get a straight answer or any answer any at all. And yes typically if they get defeated they just keep on moving on. I will ask around about Harpersfield.

Additionally:

Latest News from The Meredith Defense Fund and an article from the The Daily Star. Things are happening thanks to a lot of hard working people who are not going to let this happen in the area without a good fight.

The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - The Newspaper for the Heartland of New York - Group sues Meredith over wind law

Meredith Defense Fund

Meredith has the most wind friendly law in NYS next to Roxbury and that's a toss up. And for those not familiar with the Area Meredith is about 12 miles from Stamford.

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 09-14-2007 at 01:36 PM..

Old 09-14-2007, 01:52 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,952 times
Also speaking of Harpersfield I found a small group of supporters in the Harpersfield area for wind energy on a forum. I joined their group as a big supporter of commercial wind projects (). See if I can garner any info.... And yikes Harpersfield looks like it is extremily close to the Stamford project by rt 23. I posted a turbine location map from Invenergy for the Stamford project in this thread you might want to look at it and take a drive...

Old 09-14-2007, 02:15 PM

Thanks. I already looked at the map. I would be about 6 miles from the nearest monster.

What was the website that had the Harpersfield wind energy supporters on it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York