Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 03:41 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,647 times

Advertisements

The spouse was on the way to drop of the vehicle-the appointment was the next day. He'd gone one street over-picked up my medications on the way-and darned if the local police here didn't drive through the parking lot looking for expired stickers. It was less than 2 blocks from our house altogether.

Here's the kicker. The sticker expired Dec.31st. This happened on the 4th of Jan. Earliest appointment he could get because of the holidays with the local shop since they were out of inspection stickers for Dec. And add a couple of days they were off too.

Well the local village board-approved a hike on Jan 1st. The fine went from $100 to $250. WTH? The local police then went patrolling through the local parking lots that Mon-Tues ticketing as many vehicles as possible.

These same police sit in front of our house ALL summer(only on nice days) to ticket for expired registrations, inspections, seatbelts, etc. Those people get to talk their way out of tickets by the way. This was a sneak attack. The police cited over 65 cars in two days-just in the local parking lot. Needless to say-the village court clerk is URGING everyone who got a ticket to write the board and judge. They told them it would backfire-and sure enough it did. They've been taking angry phone calls left and right. The fines are higher than traffic accidents that are chargeable, moving violations and bodily injury accidents. What ever that board was thinking about raising the fines so high-they must have had their heads in the clouds and dollar signs in their eyes. But to approve the use of the police force to drive ONLY though the parking lots to ticket-that's low. They didn't do a repeat in Feb by the way.

We admit it should have been done before the holiday-but we had to wait for me to get paid-he's been out of work for 2 years and I am trying to support a family of 5 on $10hr(in the Hudson Valley-you KNOW that's not possible being a homeowner). The truck passed the next morning with flying colors.

So what are fines like where you are? Court is tomorrow-hopefully all these tickets get dismissed because of the high fines or the way the police preyed on customers who weren't even in the vehicles at the time they got tickets. And that the village board comes to their senses that the fine is out of line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 07:56 PM

81 posts, read 126,652 times
It is just going to get worse as the state and local governments are in severe financial straits, revenue generation is a high priority now with ever increasing Fines and "Surcharges" "Fees"

Old 02-20-2011, 08:02 PM

355 posts, read 869,423 times
If you knew the sticker was going to expire Dec 31st, why didn't you guys take care of it earlier in the month, say sometime between Dec 1st-15th?

$250 does seem excessive for this type of violation. However, procrastination is not a valid excuse.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
If you knew the sticker was going to expire Dec 31st, why didn't you guys take care of it earlier in the month, say sometime between Dec 1st-15th?

$250 does seem excessive for this type of violation. However, procrastination is not a valid excuse.
Because we got one vehicle done-and had to wait for the inspection station to get the new stickers-they ran out by the 22nd. They weren't going to get the new ones in before they closed for New Years. We had the appointment for the 30th -but they didn't have stickers until the 4th-it's only 2 blocks from our house and we can walk back.

It got thrown out-since it was done within 12 hours-we were dropping it off when we got the ticket. The village has also reduced it back to what it was-there was a HUGE letter writing campaign from people who were ticketed.

And not everyone is making enough money these days to pay for things ahead of time-the spouse has been out of work for 2 1/2 years-construction has tanked. And I am trying to support 5 people on $10hr-since I lost my job after shattering my ankle and got a lousy new job. We were doing the best we can. We were willing to pay a fine since it was up to us to get it done and lacked funds to do it-just not one that high.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:31 PM

355 posts, read 869,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Because we got one vehicle done-and had to wait for the inspection station to get the new stickers-they ran out by the 22nd. They weren't going to get the new ones in before they closed for New Years. We had the appointment for the 30th -but they didn't have stickers until the 4th-it's only 2 blocks from our house and we can walk back.

It got thrown out-since it was done within 12 hours-we were dropping it off when we got the ticket. The village has also reduced it back to what it was-there was a HUGE letter writing campaign from people who were ticketed.

And not everyone is making enough money these days to pay for things ahead of time-the spouse has been out of work for 2 1/2 years-construction has tanked. And I am trying to support 5 people on $10hr-since I lost my job after shattering my ankle and got a lousy new job. We were doing the best we can. We were willing to pay a fine since it was up to us to get it done and lacked funds to do it-just not one that high.
Still it seems as if it would have been more prudent to scrape together the $21.99 most stations charge for a state inspection and got it done at another inspection station who may have had the stickers, than to risk a $100 fine, which according to Murphy's Law, is exactly what you got.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Still it seems as if it would have been more prudent to scrape together the $21.99 most stations charge for a state inspection and got it done at another inspection station who may have had the stickers, than to risk a $100 fine, which according to Murphy's Law, is exactly what you got.
We honestly didn't have the money. You try living on $681 every two weeks in the Hudson Valley with a family of 5. And you did see that the inspection place ran out of NYS inspection stickers by the time our scheduled appointment on the 30th. We had no choice but to wait til new ones came in also-NYS mails them out.

But we didn't get fined-it was tossed out since the inspection was done in less than 24 hours after the ticket. It is the only time in 30 years we've not been able to get it done. It won't happen again that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York