Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Stay away from downstate. The cost of homes are insane (as is the overall cost of living) & it still has that rat race feel even several hours outside of NYC.

It really depends on what you consider small to medium size. I know that you stated under 150K but realistically you aren't going to find anything that is even close to 150K in Upstate outside of the Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse & Albany areas. The rest of upstate is very rural, 25K is considered a big town. Is a town of 10K-20K going to be too small & remote for you? If it is your best bet is going to be to live in the outer suburbs of Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester or Albany ...... if not then there are plenty of nice small towns in Upstate.

Ithaca, Geneva or any number of towns in the Finger Lakes region. Saratoga Springs, Glen Falls, Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, Lake George or Plattsburgh are all nice towns in the Adirondack region.
Upstate is not exactly the shopping mecca...just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 05:56 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Upstate is not exactly the shopping mecca...just saying.
Shopping is just fine in the outer suburbs of Syracuse, Rochester, Albany or Buffalo, hell its not even that bad in smaller places like Ithaca & Corning. As long as you're not in the outer reaches of Northern NY you're not going to be that far from one of these places & even there its not that far from Montreal or Ottawa.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:18 PM

270 posts, read 732,530 times
Have to say...Watkins Glen (while certainly not a city by any stretch) might be a good choice. Smack dab in the Finger Lakes, centrally located between the Twin Tiers towns of Horseheads, elmira, and Corning and the northern NY cities of Rochester and Buffalo. It's beautiful as well! The Falls are gorgeous and the village itself has a few small touristy shops. It's part of the wine region as well.

We just moved here from RI in late January. We're renting for now but have really fallen in love with the town. It's beautiful! And there are "some" tract homes. Very few, but some up off of 414.

P.S. The fishing is prevalent enough that there are vending machines that dispense live bait...lol, we found that to be quite funny.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:25 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,783,512 times
...Just wait until summer, when the one intersection is choked with traffic like it's a metro area, and fall, when all that traffic is also drunk from wine cruising!

Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3829 View Post
Have to say...Watkins Glen (while certainly not a city by any stretch) might be a good choice. Smack dab in the Finger Lakes, centrally located between the Twin Tiers towns of Horseheads, elmira, and Corning and the northern NY cities of Rochester and Buffalo. It's beautiful as well! The Falls are gorgeous and the village itself has a few small touristy shops. It's part of the wine region as well.

We just moved here from RI in late January. We're renting for now but have really fallen in love with the town. It's beautiful! And there are "some" tract homes. Very few, but some up off of 414.

P.S. The fishing is prevalent enough that there are vending machines that dispense live bait...lol, we found that to be quite funny.
I'm glad you like Watkins.

Watch out for summer though. Downstaters ruin the area every tourist season.

If you ever meet an Adam Pratt tell him his brother says hello through a stranger.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
...Just wait until summer, when the one intersection is choked with traffic like it's a metro area, and fall, when all that traffic is also drunk from wine cruising!

AHAHAHAHA! I told my husband that would be the case. The village is so pretty right now. It's quiet and quaint. But between Nascar and the Wine tourists...I can only imagine how it gets...

We actually looked at a home that was on the same road as the racetrack...about a mile down. Hehe...it was very cheaply priced...but there isn't a price low enough that could convince me to deal with those headaches summer after summer...

Unless of course it meant I might get to meet Dale Earnhardt Jr....

And speaking of that...my husband will be making deliveries to the Nascar teams when they come...sad part is...he'd not know Dale Earnhardt Jr. from Jeff Gordon...

Old 03-14-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
If you ever meet an Adam Pratt tell him his brother says hello through a stranger.
Will do! Watkins is such a pretty town. Just about every morning for the last few weeks there have been light snowfalls (just enough to dust the ground and trees) and as the sun rises it twinkles off the snow and makes it seem like sparkle dust is shimmering down.

Ok...enough of the sappy talk...lol. It really is a pretty town. And my kids were amazed at the Mennonite neighbors and their horses.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3829 View Post
Will do! Watkins is such a pretty town. Just about every morning for the last few weeks there have been light snowfalls (just enough to dust the ground and trees) and as the sun rises it twinkles off the snow and makes it seem like sparkle dust is shimmering down.

Ok...enough of the sappy talk...lol. It really is a pretty town. And my kids were amazed at the Mennonite neighbors and their horses.
Oh the Mennonites and Amish are all over around western NY.

In fact if you ever find yourself in the Dundee area ask about Crystal Valley. It's a wonderful Mennonite grocery store. Great food and low prices.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:35 PM

10 posts, read 39,488 times
Yes we do have a lot of winter. This year is atest to that. But, I remember many years when the weather was quite nice, my sons birthday party on march 27th. As farmers we were cleaning oats, but the party went on, kids makin hay forts, flying kites. so much fun. my point is that lots of years you can plant oats in march in upstate ny.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:15 PM

38 posts, read 81,881 times
I just love the tangents people get on when someone asks a question. Wife is a "fahionista" and people are telling her Watkins Glen?

I would suggest Rhinebeck area, Dutchess County or Highland area, Orange County for the proximity to trails, mountains, Thruway to either Adirondacks, Albany or NYC. Happy Hunting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York