Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 07:18 AM

371 posts, read 1,362,507 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about a New Yorker's (NYC and Hudson Valley in particular) perspective on Rhode Island .... weather, activities, prices, whatever you want to talk about. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 07:45 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
We were strongly considering buying a retirement home in Rhode Island until we looked into the tax structure, which we found was not conducive to retirees.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:51 AM

417 posts, read 1,891,633 times
I spent a good portion of my childhood in RI. Some 'negatives': Rhode Island is the most densely populated state, housing prices are quite high, taxes are high, development has not been very tightly controlled (until recently- land trusts and conservancy organizations are growing to try and preserve what little 'open space' there is) and getting there from NY (particularly NYC and in the summer) is MISERABLE! Historically the state has been very corrupt, Providence being the New England mob headquarters.
That said, there are still areas with a beautiful rural quality, I think the state has the most miles of shoreline relative to area, so it has some amazing beaches. There are a couple of towns/villages that I think are about the most beautiful and nice places on the planet (but a house there which went for $50k in the 70s will now cost you a couple million). Newport is pretty awful in the summer (congested, noisy party houses, etc.), but offers a lot of water activities, restaurants, arts, performances and is quite nice the rest of the year. Providence really is a great little city- very 'liveable.' Housing is pricey, but with all the schools there you get a tremendous amount of cultural offerings (top notch theater, the RISD museum, etc. etc.). Weather isn't bad- maybe a little sunnier on average than NYC, the ocean keeps winter fairly mild.... though the state does have a history of being hit by hurricanes!

Old 08-26-2007, 02:44 PM

6 posts, read 34,683 times
HI
I will give you a Rhode Islanders view
the state is and always be very corrupt. The spanish population sucks most of them refuse to learn ENGLISH.our utilites all tell you to press 2 for english the cable tv co has a number of spanish tv stations that english speeking must pay for our radio has mostly spanish stations most spanish think there entiled to evrrything from foodstamps to welfare to free daycare. The Minorities’ get preferance for section 8 housing while most elderlly can not afford the homes they own. There cutting servies for the elderlly and folkes in wheelchairs and making them pay for meds and services that were once free. Food in the markets are high milks at 5 dallars a gal. taxs are very high. public transit one big joke. if you don't own a car for get it most public bus service stops at 7pm in the city of providence and the surounding citys and towns. housing starts at 800.00 month for a apt. homes start at 400.000. most jobs pay 8.00 dallars an hour. and certan areas all you see is spanish signs nothing in english. If you did not know you think you were transpoted to south america. I am trying to move to upstate new york hoping its a little better but am thinking maybe not you tell me. My only thing is I dont care about the color of ones skin but if you live in the us you should learn english. 2 when a spanish folkes walking up the street in my housing projects when they see a english speaking person they then start to talk spanish I have had managment come in to my home the guy own personal cell phone will ring the other mantance man will walk in the start in english the start to talk in spanish. one time his wife called on his cell phone he said hi honey talk a few lines of english then switched to spanish I was brought up if you don't want no one to know don't say anything and the people in ri drive bad and all are rude

Last edited by jtaccone; 08-26-2007 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: need to add somethin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: